NGD: Who lives in a pineapple under the sea?

What's Hot
Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3041

SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS!

Okay im just trolling myself now really. After a successful gig using a pink Hello Kitty strat I thought Id raise the stakes and see if I can gig with a guitar that is pretty much a toy. 

I actually got this last week and have been trying to turn it into something vaguely playable.  The fret ends were really sharp so they got filed down. I need to file down a high fret at the 16th as it's choking a bit.  New strings, a bit of a setup and intoneation and it's just about playable.  It sounds like an electric guitar as well. Who knew?

I will need to take it to next band rehearsal to see if I've got the balls to gig with it. I can't wait to see the look on my band mates faces when they see I've bought an even more ridiculous guitar than last time.

11reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2474
    I’d rock that
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    Quality. 

Stick a proper death metal pickup in there for good measure. Nazgul, tat kinda thing \m/
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I could provide an air norton for that for £30 if it tickles your fancy?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I like it!

I'm still yearning for a Pink Hello Kitty guitar, it's probably the only guitar that I would buy since I started making my own stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712

After a successful gig using a pink Hello Kitty strat ........

Pics/vid or it didn't happen....  ;)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    ERMEERRGGEERRDDDDD

Love it.

Being able to legitimately watch Spongebob all day is pretty much to only reason i had a kid..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3041
    When I got the Hello Kitty strat I immediately bought a white SD JB humbucker to put in it. It turned out that the original pickup was perfectly fine if you just turn the treble down a notch or two on the amp.

So I'll see if this pickup is ok first. It sounds fine at home volume.

Otherwise I was thinking maybe a yellow PAF pro, one of those cheap Vanson humbucker size p90s or maybe something silly from Warman pickups. There's no point in chucking much money at it really as it's just for fun.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    It's actually less "uncool" than the Hello Kitty, even if it isn't quite as good a guitar.

There's no reason something as simple as this can't be made perfectly functional. It does really need square knobs though ;).

If you want a real challenge, you need to try gigging with one of these... :)

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Hj0AAMXQh8NTdhZK/s-l300.jpg

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JerkMoansJerkMoans Frets: 8794
    merlin said:

After a successful gig using a pink Hello Kitty strat ........

Pics/vid or it didn't happen....  ;)
    Google ‘The Wiggles’
    Inactivist Lefty Lawyer
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7158
    I've gigged my Pink Hello Kitty a few times, so would be interested to see if you can make the 'Spongebob' a working instrument.
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16132
     Learn a bit of Spongebob theme ;get a slide and use it as your signature lick when you come onstage
    Also compulsory to wear a Hawaiian shirt on stage (they are very fashionable this year anyway )
    Dominic said:
     Learn a bit of Spongebob theme ;get a slide and use it as your signature lick when you come onstage
    Also compulsory to wear a Hawaiian shirt on stage (they are very fashionable this year anyway )
    The thought had crossed my mind...  =)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    That's very cool. I have envy.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4934
    edited May 2018
    Fancy joining my new band? We're going to be called The Cartoons!

1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9717
    prowla said:
    Fancy joining my new band? We're going to be called The Cartoons!

Nah! All sounds a bit too Micky mouse for me.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pigfacepigface Frets: 213
    edited May 2018
    I saw a Beano guitar last week in the window of High Level Music in Lerwick, Shetland, last week. Like this one : 

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Joiky did a good looking Beano guitar some years ago
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well it just about passed the rehearsal test last night. A little bit lacking in sustain at the top end of the fretboard but it’s quite fun to play, so it’s on for next weeks gig  :#
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Ha! Good to see it! 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    pigface said:
    I saw a Beano guitar last week in the window of High Level Music in Lerwick, Shetland, last week. Like this one : 

Has anyone told Eric Clapton that his long-lost stolen Beano Les Paul has been found?

Although if it's supposedly in Lerwick it's probably just a scam...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein