What's happening over at DigiTech/DOD?

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
Seen this link on the GSP1101 Facebook page, to a thread on TGP where a previously frequent poster from DigiTech has said he and the whole team's last day is 22nd June... What does this mean for DigiTech/Dod do you guys think? They've done some smashing things over the last few years, I've been considering a Whammy Ricochet recently, and a Dod Carcosa, already have a Polara, a Whammy V, a Bad Monkey and the excellent GSP1101. Maybe I need to make those purchases now before they become vintage and I can't get them any more!

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/heads-up-digitech-istomp-users.1867339/page-4#post-26400965

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Digitech has without doubt been my favourite overall effect brand for the entirity of my 26 years of guitar playing.

I'm Whammy obsessed and have been know to run two at a time on occasion. I'll always have at least one on the go and am currently enjoying having four Digitech pedals on my main board right now.

If it really is the end of days for Digitech that'll be such a sad thing for effects as a whole. Such a great brand and such great gear.

Hope the team carry on doing what they do somehow...it sounds like they had some interesting stuff ready for release. Would be a crying shame to bin it all.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 951
    Yeah this would be a huge shame. I'm also a frequent Whammy 4 user, and I've had a Digidelay for years on my board, about to be joined by an Obscura too. Have always listed after the Hardwire reverb too. Also had the Digiverb which has since been replaced but still a wonderful pedal. They always made solid effects with some real diamonds too. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    I'm both surprised and dissapointed to hear this. DOD / Digitech appear to be at the top of their game right now. 

Personally I have a DOD Looking Glass and an Obscura on my board, absolute killer pedals, as are many of theirs. 
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Could be something to do with this 
    https://www.prosoundnetwork.com/business/harman-pro-to-restructure-layoff-650

It's from last year but sounds like a dreaded "restructuring" after acquisition 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12900
    Tom Cramm was the guy running Digitech who posted regularly on TGP under "digitech rep".

His latest posts say that the whole team (including him) is being let go, and that it has nothing to do with performance. Reading between the lines it suggests that the whole operation is being moved. 

A real shame, because Digitech and DOD have been knocking out the park over the last few years. 
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Haven't Samsung bought Harman?
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26992
    Haven't Samsung bought Harman?
    Yep. Samsung owns Harman which owns Digi/DOD. I assume all the latest stuff (while good pedals) aren't making enough money, so they're moving the whole operation in-house at some higher level in the corporate chain.

Hopefully that doesn't mean they'll just keep knocking out Whammys and whatever else makes money and can the rest, but who knows. 

Hopefully the guys getting laid off can find work with other companies in the industry.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786

As I saw suggested elsewhere, they should team up with the ex-Catalinbread guys and set up a new company.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    Sad to see Tom and his team go... some really unique and inspiring pedals have been made by them
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 884
    What happened at catalinbread? 

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Nick Harris (owner) died when a tree fell on his car.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7786
    edited May 2018

One of the main guys was killed when a tree fell on his car, and IIRC it was taken control of by a relative or wife or someone, who recently turfed out a lot of the staff, including "Howard", who I think was the main innovator.

A little more hunting around suggests that a number of staff chose to leave, rather than them being "turfed out", either way they're no longer there.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Matt_McGMatt_McG Frets: 323
    That is a shame. The Obscura is one of the best things I've bought in the past couple of years. Sounds great. Easy to use. Solidly made. 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    DigiTech and Catalinbread brains combined would certainly be quite formidable!
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6801
    This is bad news, recent products (Trio+, SDRUM, Ricochet and Freqout) have been innovative- which is difficult with the boom in the the number of pedal manufacturers 
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 907
    I love my Ventura Vibe and Nautila so sad news indeed.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    How stupid to take the Bad Monkey out the loop and not have the alternative reboxed DOD version up and running? We all love a Bad Monkey even if we don't actually own one!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The real collaboration will be Tom and Paul Trombetta... wowzer
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    octatonic said:
    Nick Harris (owner) died when a tree fell on his car.

Why did someone LOL this?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    Catalin-Fish 'n-Bread
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>