REAL Rules For Playing Live...?

What's Hot
RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6491
edited March 2014 in Live
Following on from the thread with the lighthearted/ spoof "Rules For Playing Live" - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/10207/rules-for-playing-live/p1 - I thought it would be interesting to hear what your REAL rules for playing live would be.

I'll start off with some obvious ones, but please join in:

1. Guitarists/ Bassists..USE A TUNER. No excuses.

2. Keep gaps between songs to a minimum. Yes, by all means talk to the audience - in fact, I'd say this was essential - but don't jabber on endlessly or spend an age swapping guitars/ finding your place in your lyric book/ retuning..etc etc. If you have to do these things, do it quickly. Be prepared! Metallica are the worst for this. I saw Foo Fighters play for 2 hours and they were bang, bang, bang from one song to the next, and DG still had time for witty banter. Metallica have gaps between songs that you could fit half of The Ramones' entire set into

Your turn!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Do not discuss breaking strings on an internet forum....guess what happened on Sat @RocknRollDave...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Uh-oh!
    I knew we had jinxed it!

I haven't had a gig since then, next gig is Saturday...I shall make sure my spare strings are close to hand...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    No vocalists screaming "Thankyou Droitwich" (or wherever you are) in a 'metal voice' unless you are actually in Steel Panther.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Always have a wee before you start.

As an addendum to Dave's point 2 there should always be something happening so if its a technical reason why you can't be making music then that's the time to start talking to the audience. Or do something that bypasses that problem. I saw Sherman Robertson once (actually I saw him twice but that's by the by) and his keyboard player's keyboard died mid set. Sherman plus bassist and drummer went into an impromptu jam on a couple of Stevie Ray Vaughan numbers whilst the keyboard was put away and an upright piano rolled across from the other end of the pub. Dealing with it in this way got a better response than the rehearsed numbers were doing up to that point.

Look interested. If you look bored or more interested in something on your pedal board or to side of stage than you are with what's happening in the gig then that sends out a clear message to the audience that your band ( presumably its hard to focus elsewhere if you are a solo performer!) aren't interesting.Smiling doesn't hurt ( although not during that epic ballad about the death of your labrador).   
    :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    No vocalists screaming "Thankyou Droitwich" (or wherever you are) in a 'metal voice' unless you are actually in Steel Panther.

Hello Cleveland is totally allowed from backstage though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Have a spare cable and mains lead out ready.
    Spare Strings to hand too.
    Smile.
    Make sure your gear is up to the job.
    You are there to entertain.
    Smile.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Ok, here's one that I feel strongly about

- Turn getting on and off stage into a military operation, especially on multi band bills. Learn how to stack your gear backstage so that it's a) not in everyone else's way and b) accessible in the order you want to get to stuff. When it's your turn to get on stage, learn how to do it fucking fast. If someone has a simple set up, they should help the drummer when they've sorted themselves out. Under no circumstances should band-related people be milling about looking lost and confused.

After your set, don't wonder round chatting to people. Finish the last song, take a bow, say thanks, and IMMEDIATELY move out. Get your gear off stage before you start wrapping cables neatly etc. The first objective is to clear the stage. Once you're out of the way of the next band you can start to chat to the fans.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Cirrus said:
    Ok, here's one that I feel strongly about

- Turn getting on and off stage into a military operation, especially on multi band bills. Learn how to stack your gear backstage so that it's a) not in everyone else's way and b) accessible in the order you want to get to stuff. When it's your turn to get on stage, learn how to do it fucking fast. If someone has a simple set up, they should help the drummer when they've sorted themselves out. Under no circumstances should band-related people be milling about looking lost and confused.

After your set, don't wonder round chatting to people. Finish the last song, take a bow, say thanks, and IMMEDIATELY move out. Get your gear off stage before you start wrapping cables neatly etc. The first objective is to clear the stage. Once you're out of the way of the next band you can start to chat to the fans.
    Having done some festival stage managing myself, I couldn't agree more with this!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Make sure you have a piss/dump/last smoke etc well before you're due on stage, not 1 minute to go.

Fresh batteries in anything that needs them.

Know what you're playing - but that should be sorted well in advance, unless it's a jam night.

Don't get drunk before/during your stage time.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    edited March 2014
    Make sure everyone has a copy of the set list.

Do not put your pint on top of your amp/speakers.

Only get drunk if all members of the band are getting drunk!

Finish with your best song.Do not be tempted to have a go at the new song that you have only rehearsed once just because the audience are asking for one more.One more is never enough so finish on a high.
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Have a setup with two of everything- guitars, amps (or preamp to go into PA), essential FX, in case something breaks mid gig
  • MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited March 2014

1. No farting on stage forcing your band members to stand in your stench and inhaling your anal vapour to sing with! Void your bowels before the set!

2. Never allow an audience member to come on stage to "play / sing one song" - they will most likely be awful and possibly trash your equipment. All they want to do is show off and attempt to out do the band member they think they're better than.

3. Every  band member pitches in equally with set up and tear down no matter how little or how much gear they individually are using.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Be confident - make eye contact with the audience

IF you make a mistake don't stop - make something up or breathe and keep going

Have a setlist printed in a font size that you can actually see

This one is just for me - have electric cigarette to hand for those 'need a fix' moments

Endless bottles of warer and/or lucozade sport nearby and drink them

Give the old hands a shake often to avoid getting cramp

Dont crank the amp up half way through the set - it's not getting quieter - your ears are just getting fatigued

Try and make a barrier between band and punters with monitors - stops lunatics lurching towards you to smash mic stand and mic into ones gob

Smile - this is fun.

Big beer afterwards

• Get the soundman a cup of tea or coffee far more welcome than beer especially on festivals
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    Do not discuss breaking strings on an internet forum....guess what happened on Sat @RocknRollDave...

My LP's neck didn't fly off @handsome_chris . I was genuinely bricking it thinking something was going to happen..

1. Don't take offence at punters who finish off "1,2" with any kind of witty comment.

2. Don't put any liquid in containers on the floor.

3. Bring a spare everything because if you don't something will fail.

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• vizviz Frets: 10694
    Dry sherry before, an amontillado or oloroso during, and a cream afterwards.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Assume that the sound engineer has no 'spare' anything; he/she is not there to provide you with batteries, screwdrivers, cables, strings, cigarettes, lubricant, avacados, marsupials or geostationary satellite co-oridinates. He/she is there to mix the sound; carry your own bloody spares.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    Drink water between beers  if your singing as you need to keep yourself hydrated. 

Don't just stand there and play, you gotta move and be committed, if your not into it then don't expect the punters to be

Stash guitar cases and covers behind the amps if poss ... it's less hassle than retrieving them from the van \ car at the end of the gig
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • octatonic said:
    Is that because you think good manners are a thing of the past?  I like to know if the audience is prepared for their musical entertainment by asking "Aylesbury, are you ready to rock?".
  • @mudslide, I'm glad that your LP didn't have a catastrophic failure.  I'm very much of the spare everything to the point where I have a spare preamp and poweramp.