Can you split a pedal output without detriment?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24414
Just thinking in the bath....   If I wanted to put a stereo chorus at the end of my fx chain, and fed the PA with the stereo signal, panned L&R, could I split one of the output channels from the pedal so I could feed my amp, without it creating an imbalance in the stereo field on the PA side ?

Also, given that I'm using an ME50 for my reverb, the chorus would have to come after that...  I've never tried chorus after reverb...  Is it likely to be mushy shit ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    It depends on how the stereo is done - if it's wet/dry, splitting one of the outputs will give you either dry signal or vibrato (not chorus) into the amp, depending on which one it is. If it's normal/inverse-phase, it will work - unless the PA is mixed in mono or both channels are panned to the same place, in which case the chorus will disappear.

I assume you're not using the chorus on the ME-50 because you're using the modulation block for something else...

Chorus after reverb might sound like mush, or great - I'm not sure I've ever tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24414
    edited May 2018
    Not using the modulation on the ME50, i just prefer the sound of my Arion SCH-1.  I'm not running two amps so I guessed it might fill the sound out a bit if I had the stereo chorus in the PA a bit, but I'd need to feed my amp from one of the Arion's outputs. but if it's going to screw with the sound of the channel I'm splitting then I'll pass.
    edited May 2018
    I would just find a setting on the ME-50 that’s reasonably close to the Arion. No-one will notice the difference at the gig.

That’s why I sold my original MIJ ‘long dash’ CE-2... the valuable one. The ME-50 was easily close enough.

You can use the ME-50 itself to split the signal to the amp and the PA, although a DI box with a ground lift - and preferably speaker emulation, since that on the ME-50’s output is poor - is a good idea.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24414
    If I can't feed the PA with a stereo signal there's little point.  The ME50 has two outs - L(/mono) & R.  Putting them straight into the mixer without any speaker simulation is going to sound too harsh.  Plus I'd still have to find a source for my amp.

I can't see how a DI would help me here though.  Never mind, it was a bit of a daft idea!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6713

Emp_Fab said:
    Just thinking in the bath....   If I wanted to put a stereo chorus at the end of my fx chain, and fed the PA with the stereo signal, panned L&R, could I split one of the output channels from the pedal so I could feed my amp, without it creating an imbalance in the stereo field on the PA side ?

Also, given that I'm using an ME50 for my reverb, the chorus would have to come after that...  I've never tried chorus after reverb...  Is it likely to be mushy shit ?

I would keep all of that sensitive electrical equipment out of the bath to be honest. It'll get destroyed by water ingress and you may also get you knackers frazzled. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    merlin said:

Emp_Fab said:

I would keep all of that sensitive electrical equipment out of the bath to be honest. It'll get destroyed by water ingress and you may also get you knackers frazzled. 
    Surely some added 'splash' is cool, but isn't that for drummers?

Emp_Fab said:
    If I can't feed the PA with a stereo signal there's little point.  The ME50 has two outs - L(/mono) & R.
    If you look closely at the back of it there's an output labelled 'Line/Phones' :). This is stereo, and speaker-emulated(ish). You will need a splitter cable to use it in stereo to two channels of a PA.

Emp_Fab said:
    Putting them straight into the mixer without any speaker simulation is going to sound too harsh.
    Which is why I would use a speaker-emulating DI box if you can (or two, in stereo). eg H&K Red Box, or Peavey EDI, or whatever the Behringer one is.

Emp_Fab said:
    Plus I'd still have to find a source for my amp.
    The left/mono normal output.

Emp_Fab said:
    I can't see how a DI would help me here though.
    To eliminate the ground loop that connecting your signal path to both the PA and your guitar amp may otherwise cause.

This is one of the great things about the ME-50 - you can use it to split the signal to an amp and a PA at the same time. I haven't tried it in stereo, but I don't see any reason it won't work. I would try it without the DI boxes first and see if ground loops and the speaker emulation are an actual problem, and fix that if they are...

edited May 2018
    Just for you , I've set mine up like this and tested it, in stereo through my small PA and a guitar amp - using the 'Pan' delay to be sure - it does retain the full stereo separation through the PA, even with a plug in the Mono jack feeding the guitar amp with the correct mono'd signal.

It actually sounded quite decent even without extra speaker emulation too - there's a little too much bass and if anything a little too *little* top end, but it can be EQ'd easily enough to sound very similar to the sound from the amp. So I'm not sure it does need the Red Box after all.

Correction - now I've put the PA cabinets at opposite ends of the workshop with the amp in front of me it sounds *epic* .

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 337
    Emp_Fab said:
    Is it likely to be mushy shit ?
    If these antibiotics I'm taking are anything to go by then it's a definitely yes.

They're are absolutely ruining me! :s