Paying for a guitar before shipping

What's Hot

Comments

• Hydra19Hydra19 Frets: 325
    edited May 2018
    All I meant was that I assume it would be more convinient for anyone to ship there using boats (with engines) rather than planes since boats come and arrive every day, and planes maybe not so much. That is all. I know they have lights and shoes there, I will bet more mail is sent using boat than plane via shetland islands. Can't say anything these days
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I told them my 'family friends' who live in Glasgow could visit and pick it up in about 2 weeks, just to see if he pushes for anything as I don't have anyone in Scotland. He said to contact him then and if the guitar is still for sale, yes, if not, thank you for your time. I don't believe the guitar is in Shetland Islands, and maybe it's too good to be true. I don't have a car for a roadtrip and a roadtrip from London to Lerwick and back would take more than a weekend.

I'll contact him in a week and let him know my friends are coming. He also says he is listing it on free sites as he 'hates' ebay and paypal. Hmm....pretty strong emotions for a couple of sites that are very familiar 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    edited May 2018
    Hydra19 said:
    All I meant was that I assume it would be more convinient for anyone to ship there using boats (with engines) rather than planes since boats come and arrive every day, and planes maybe not so much. That is all. I know they have lights and shoes there, I will bet more mail is sent using boat than plane via shetland islands.
    Mail is sent by plane - http://www.shetnews.co.uk/newsbites/14600-dedicated-loganair-mail-plane. Not sure about a courier package as large as a guitar, that would probably go on a truck on the boat.

Hydra19 said:

He also says he is listing it on free sites as he 'hates' ebay and paypal. Hmm....pretty strong emotions for a couple of sites that are very familiar 
    I hate Ebay too. I would never use it to sell anything as valuable as a guitar, since as a seller you have almost no protection in the event of anything going wrong.

In fact I haven't sold anything on Ebay for years, and won't again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I don't hate Ebay but my account has been suspended for years as I refuse to pay somethin like £5 but it's just too much. I'd buy from Ebay but I'd never sell from there due to how much they take as % - no more value to be had there as a seller but I understand their greed so I don't hate them but choose Reverb instead for now. Of course, this forum is my favorite as we're players and I have more trust for the guitars and people here.

About the mail. I guess I was wrong as I have no facts, I just assumed it would be easier as I didn't imagine it had planes going in and out daily, but I never been there.....maybe I'd go just for the gutiar but I'd hate to show up and the guy doesn't answer.

I been thinking last night maybe to tell him my friends will visit this weekend and have the cash just to see at what point he will stop pretending but I don't know that he is lying so I'd hate that moment where he says, I'm outside the door, where are they and I'd have to come clean :)
    Can you post a link to the listing?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I would genuinely walk away!! 

It all sounds a bit too good to be true! 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    When I last looked it was like pushing £300 just for the return ferry with a car from Scotland to one of the Islands.. thats without the drive to Scotland too. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    skunkwerx said:
    When I last looked it was like pushing £300 just for the return ferry with a car from Scotland to one of the Islands.. thats without the drive to Scotland too. 

wow that must be quite prohibitive for tourism and trade; resulting in quite a secluded population...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• See to be honest, I think you should just go to Shetland. If the guitars there great, if not just drive back through the north western highlands and thank me later 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • the whole thing screams scam. I was on craigslist a few months back and indeed saw a guitar which was massively under-priced and so i made some enquiries. The guy seemed helpful at first but as soon as i mentioned i wanted to pick it up he was then apparently not located in London but way up north due to seeing family (apparently the guitar was now at his parents as he was clearing out the house or something). He was very cagey and you could just tell he wanted to avoid a meeting. 
    My advice would be steer clear. Save up for another month or two and then get one from a respected seller on here or something. Even if the stars aligned and you actually got the guitar it could easily come with an unknown issue and then what happens? I know the lure of a guitar can be strong but sometimes its better to go with your head rather than your heart. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    That's very good advice. For £2000 I should be able to find a great Les Paul closer to home. I am already looking at some other guitars. Craiglist in the UK is full of vintage guitars going for £2000 - £3000, vintage Fenders and Les Pauls. I wrote to all of them, think I got a reply from 2 and it seemed like a scam. This seller could use Gumtree (which is a lot more common than craiglist in the UK) but didn't so yeah, I'll buy another guitar for now and tel this guy I'd buy it if he can get it to the mainland 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    skunkwerx said:

wow that must be quite prohibitive for tourism and trade; resulting in quite a secluded population...
    aye tbh though it was only a quick look, the ferry with return the next day was about £50 for one person.. the car added the rest lol. 

Also can’t remember what location in Scotland to what location in the Islands... 

Maybe its cheaper to fly if a budget jobbbie goes there.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    ICBM said:
    Can you post a link to the listing?
    You've twice asked.. I think the answer is no @ICBM ; lol
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    I bought something from the Shetlands once. 
    Cost me a pony.

(Available for weddings, bar mitzvahs etc)
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    bloodandtears said:

You've twice asked.. I think the answer is no @ICBM ; lol
    I can't find it on Craigslist, although it does appear to be a difficult site to search on.

Seeing the listing would give the opportunity to see if anyone recognises the pics as being lifted from another sale, which if so would instantly prove a scam.

There are sometimes other clues too, like a guitar which is purportedly being sold in Shetland with pics that show it outside on a bright sunny day ;).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Give me a couple of days to decide, the pics are all of the guitar, in its case and the only other things you can see is a wooden floor, no windows, nothing that can prove or disprove location. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14232
    tFB Trader
    Nikc said:
    high end guitar listed (below normal price) on craigslist seller is in shetland - Hmmm what could go wrong ???
    as I mentioned earlier my stolen Masterbuilt Strat was listed for sale via a Shetlands contact - so yes buyer be very aware
  • No links? Maybe this is a scam thread? 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Great, now I'm a scammer, wow
    edited May 2018
    I think I've gotten all the help I can hope to get. Thank you for the genuine replies, and offers to help. Much appreciated, if I do manage to buy the guitar, I will post it here as in I will post the pics here 
    He has contacted me today for my name and address and told me he will start the process and if the terms are not to my liking I can pass....which is not the same as he said yesterday so I think it is a scam.