NGD: Jazzbox-tastic Project (Epiphone Content)

HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030

As these things are wont to do, this arrived today...

It's a Samick job and has had a bit of a hard life.

There's a hint of "Trigger's Broom" to it, in that at various points, it's sported a Bigsby, various pickups and other appointments.

So...things to consider...
  • I'm liking the pickups, but they've not been mounted brilliantly (or even that well at all), particularly the bridge, which needs  a spacer of some kind underneath it (there's some half-assed attempt to space it, but it really doesn't work).

• I'm not sure whether to reinstate a pickguard.

• There is a naff gold plate thing covering the points where the Bigsby was mounted.
All (printable) suggestions welcome. :)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    Never seen an Epi JP with P90s before. 

It might help to see a side-on view of the pickup cover spacing issue - if only for comedy value.

Surely, with gold hardware, the plastics should be black and the selector switch surround should be rubbery.

The greatest amusement will come when you inspect the wiring to discover whether the entire loom was assembled properly or the P90s have just been grafted on.

The combination of a Bigsby vibrato, the plastic nut and those dogbreath tuning machineheads would have made for some interesting stability issues. Know any Stump songs?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Apart from the gold and the sunburst, I approve. ;-)

In seriousness, the combination of P90s and a big body like that is always a winner IMHO, but they do need to be underwound jobs...

Remember that Ash makes P90 spacers.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    I think that would be well worth fixing. Unlike @impmann I like the sunburst ;) The control layout is perfect, including the pickup switch being where it ought to be and not next to the pots. I don't think a guitar like that needs a pickguard, because (i) the strings are quite high off the part of the soundtable that a pickguard normally protects (ii) you're not supposed to play that kind of guitar by flailing the picking hand from the elbow - so the chances of the pick striking the soundtable and causing it damage are IMO negligible.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Looks really cool to me. You don't see many Joe Pass models other than in a natural finish. 

I'd get a Rosewood Jazz Bridge, maybe a better looking trapeze end piece, but that's it.

The P90 installation in the original HB holes looks bodge-tastic, though I'd leave the cosmetics, adds character. As long as they work - leave them alone.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14426
    you're not supposed to play that kind of guitar by flailing the picking hand from the elbow 
    Uh-oh! ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8030
    impmann said:

Remember that Ash makes P90 spacers.
    Indeed. I’ve dropped him a line. ;)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/