Autumn general election - Tories on war footing

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11045
    ICBM said:
    That would probably overestimate the literacy of their readers. They're more likely to be interested in Emma Watson's tits.
    After seeing the Vanity Fair shoot, I don't think they'd be that interested. 
    I make Jeremy Paxman look like Fingermouse. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16282
    And if May loses is Brexit off? Soros is funding a big campaign to stop Brexit with £6 million of his own cash.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    Faisal now saying mid-June. According to him:

"an ERG member tell me if customs union amendments get voted thru PM might have to accept need to go to country..."

That would be in keeping with the threats coming from the ERG at the minute. You might have noticed this campaign:

https://www.conservatives.com/respecttheresult

It is not aimed at Labour as JRM's tweet on the matter indicates. 

https://twitter.com/Jacob_Rees_Mogg/status/999234842159087616

So Brexit bills in mid-June.. 

1 MAY LOSES THE VOTE:. A government defeat would place intense pressure on May's leadership from the Brexiteers. A vote of no confidence would be a huge step. The vote of NC on Callaghan in 1979 came on 28 March: the resulting election was on May 3rd. So if the bills result in a government defeat in mid June (call it 20 June) and was followed by a vote of no confidence, then you're talking an election held end of July/start of August. 

I think this option is the nuclear option. Organising an election for the summer holidays would be a national ballache and an administrative nightmare. 
    The last snap election was announced 18 April, approved 19 April and held 8 June, a period of 51 days, and I know that the council I was working with and the council I worked for were right under the cosh getting everything organised. We haven't had a GE in August since 1895.

I would suggest that a May defeat would place intolerable pressure on her leadership and she would resign. In the event of a bill defeat, it might be the only way to exert her authority on the party. One can't claim to be a good country leader if you can't lead your own party well. resign, go through the leadership contest, and let the party decide. By the time that is done, we'd be hitting House recess for the summer. 

2. MAY WINS THE VOTE: A government victory will obviously reduce the criticism toward May. There is obviously the possibility of a vote of no confidence but I think this unlikely. It'll be a case of battening down the hatches, get through the summer recess, and see how things stand in September. If an election is announced in early September prior to conference season, then following the 51 day period of the last one, you'd be smack in the tail end of October. 

With party conference season coming in September and ending October 3rd, I would still look to an October General Election if one is going to happen this year, and that recent newspaper stories of a June election were doggie doo doos. 

• marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 1470

Austerity austerity

Osbourn Cameron Thatcher

austerity austerity

Food banks

Austerity austerity

off shore banking

austerity austerity

Trickle down

austerity austerity

Philip Green

austerity austerity

pensions at 80

austerity austerity cuts

austerity austerity

billionaires

austerity austerity vote Conservataive

austerity austerity

Brexit

austerity austerity

Mugs

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Austerity austerity

Osbourn Cameron Thatcher

austerity austerity

Food banks

Austerity austerity

off shore banking

austerity austerity

Trickle down

austerity austerity

Philip Green

austerity austerity

pensions at 80

austerity austerity cuts

austerity austerity

billionaires

austerity austerity vote Conservataive

austerity austerity

Brexit

austerity austerity

Mugs

Left out privatising the NHS, destroying mental heath car and cutting taxes for the rich .... other than that wis .. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    May now fighting a war on two fronts. Labour and Ireland ratchet pressure on the government to change to abortion law in N Ireland. DUP will withdraw support for My if she does. Pressure building as pro-EU groups see this as a way to bring down the Tories.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 3625
    Meanwhile Italy is falling apart.  Italian Government bonds up 30 basis points after the president vetoed the finance minister.

The sooner we can leave the sinking ship the better, and the remoaners are just playing silly power games.
    crunchman said:
    Meanwhile Italy is falling apart.  Italian Government bonds up 30 basis points after the president vetoed the finance minister.

The sooner we can leave the sinking ship the better, and the remoaners are just playing silly power games.
    Election is now 'when' not 'if' so stand by your beds.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5347
    If you stole all the money from all the rich folks in this country today and redistributed it to everyone equally, we'd all get about a quarter of a million.

But what would you do after that when no-one wants to run services?  No jobs, no food, no water, no power, no health or emergency services, and so on. 

And no-one wants to run the businesses that generate all the money because they know you'll steal it off them again?
    best to stay a work slave then.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 2152
    Chalky said:
    If you stole all the money from all the rich folks in this country today and redistributed it to everyone equally, we'd all get about a quarter of a million.

But what would you do after that when no-one wants to run services?  No jobs, no food, no water, no power, no health or emergency services, and so on. 

And no-one wants to run the businesses that generate all the money because they know you'll steal it off them again?
    £250 would not go too far. Maybe buy a house but as we have a housing shortage prices would shoot up as everybody has a bit of money so you'd have to work to afford the mortage
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2318
    Chalky said:

So all those things rely on some special class of ubermensch to function, whose only motivation is enormous wealth? 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Chalky said:

We'd all survive thanks to a Tom and Barbara Good Life style scenario in which humanity realises how daft capitalism and product chasing really is and we ascend to a whole new level of psychological and emotional understanding and peace. 

Or something. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 2318
    Chalky said:

We'd all survive thanks to a Tom and Barbara Good Life style scenario in which humanity realises how daft capitalism and product chasing really is and we ascend to a whole new level of psychological and emotional understanding and peace. 

Or something. 

Or mosey on down to Galt's Gulch and drag all those fuckers back to work for the salaries they've been paying everyone else.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Chalky said:

Or something. 
    You mean Star Trek becomes reality.
    Star Trek never had a scene Felicity Kendall and a pig. Much to it's absolute detriment. 
    Star Trek never had a scene Felicity Kendall and a pig. Much to it's absolute detriment. 
    How do you know? We only saw a tiny fraction of the Star Trek universe ... ;-)
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 5347
    Chalky said:

So all those things rely on some special class of ubermensch to function, whose only motivation is enormous wealth? 
    Er, yep.

As the old saying goes "Every nation needs men who are happy to kill people with a sharp implement. We call some of them soldiers and some of them surgeons".

The point is that it takes a mix of people to make a country work, not just the guys with the nice intent.
    Fretwired said:
    Margo would have been a fabulous captain of Voyager.
    Fretwired said:
    Margo would have been a fabulous captain of Voyager.
    I could see that .. ;-)

Although I did like Janeway .. she was a dead ringer for an ex-girlfriend of mine.

how old are you lot?

I'm 59 and can't remember that stuff.

how old are you lot?

I'm older than you ... my memory is good though .. ;-)
    edited May 31

how old are you lot?

My given age is 40, my mental age is 12, and I have the knees of a 102 year old. I have no memory for A-level chemistry but I can remember shitloads about To The Manor Born. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 13079
    Felicity Kendall and a pig.