Ratio of Guitar : Amp budget . What's your priority ?

What's Hot
martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
Just interested to know what people spend on their amps relative to the cost of their guitar ? 

What do you feel is a good balance ? 
At the moment I probably have a guitar worth double my amp , but for bass playing I would say I invest more in cabs and amps than I would pay for a bass guitar ,so it's it's easily 50:50 spend with bass.

Obviously this excludes peripherals like pedals and leads ,etc .
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Cheap, nasty amplification brings all instruments down to its level. For brand new gear, 40:60 or 50:50 is about right.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I would assume most amateur players especially younger ones would guy a more expensive guitar and the amp almost seems as secondary (I saw a band about a year ago gigging with Vox Valvetronix 40’s) however I agree with the above. A cheap amp will just always sound bad no matter how nice the guitar. A great amp can make anything sound good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Really good amps are underrated, and ultimately if you skimp too far on either it's annoying, but when it comes to "new shiny" I'll go guitar every time - there's more of a personal connection there
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1648
    If you play at home, nice guitar. If you gig, nice amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    One kidney : One kidney for me!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    All depends what you play and what you can afford.  IMO if you are short on cash more money should go on the guitar, but obviously it's daft to spend 2K on a guitar and leave yourself £30 for an amp

I know a local guy who plays a Strat through a Roland Bolt that looks ready for the bin and he sounds fantastic
  • mkendallmkendall Frets: 13
    I love amps - but you can get some good deals. Depends on the sound you're after. For me paying more for a guitar gives you a better looking, feeling, more usable tool rather than just improving sound. Amp makes most difference to sound. 
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Depends on the overall budget
    1k 50;50
    2k 60:40 in favour of the amp
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3840
    edited May 2018
    A crap guitar can sound great through a great amp, whereas a great guitar will sound crap through a crap amp. However, you actually hold the guitar, so you want it to feel good and play well. Tough question, but I'd always spend more on an amp. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    It is usually a 50/50 ratio.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Harley Benton Tele and a Katana for me, once the drums kick and audience has had a drink yada yada yada......
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    In truth - 33% Guitar / 33% Amp / 33% Pedalboard
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Guitar 15% Amp 15% Pedals 70%.  :o
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    I've had 2 amps in 20 years of playing...
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    I have no relevant opinion on this since I discovered Jet City, my £1600 guitar through my £270 amp is the best gigging rig I've ever had. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • kt66kt66 Frets: 315
    My first love is HIFI and there the golden rule is source first, translating that to guitars, that would make the guitar (or the player) the source, but my own experience massively differs, I am very lucky to have an incredible sounding 63 AC30TB, and so far it makes everything sound fantastic, from £200 Revelations to Gretsch Pros, I have yet to hear anything bad sound through it. 
  • martin8708martin8708 Frets: 81
    mkendall said:
    I love amps - but you can get some good deals. Depends on the sound you're after. For me paying more for a guitar gives you a better looking, feeling, more usable tool rather than just improving sound. Amp makes most difference to sound. 
    I am coming round to this line of thought , when the amp becomes more interesting than the guitar .  I suppose if you are happy or content with your guitar , focussing on the amp side does open up a whole new world of sonic possibilities .
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    Guitars first, for me. I've had expensive-ish amps - Soldano Decatone, Framus Cobra, Victory Kraken etc - and they've never really made me sound any different.

If I was going for an amp-based setup, it'd be £1k+ on guitar and £250 on a Jet City amp.

As it is...I have a Helix LT (~£700) and a Matrix NL212 (£500) with <any old amp in between>. Sometimes I use the Rocktron Velocity 120 (which cost £30), sometimes the R&R SOLO (~£350 in a trade), but it doesn't actually make much difference which I use. Sometimes, I only use the Helix.

By comparison, most of my guitars are £1500+, the cheapest being one of Jaden's Salvo guitars at around £900.

The guitar is the user interface for the rig; as far as I'm concerned, that's the most critical part. As long as I can get the right levels of gain out of the rest of it, I'm happy.
    <space for hire>
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I know fuck all about amps, don't know what's good or bad nor know enough to know what is good advice or bad advice either.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I think of the electric guitar and amp together as the instrument. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom