Ideal amp stand?

robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3517
So I want to get my amp off the ground. I have a full workshop at my disposal, cutting , bending, welding and powder coating all types of steel from sheet to angle, bar, you name it.
So, what would be your ideal stand? Or should I just buy one from the shops? My amp is fairly large and weighs around the same as a family hatchback. 
A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    My pet hates: Amp stands which don’t pack flat, and stands which only raise the amp a foot or so. Both symptoms of each other. If the stand is not high enough then it needs to be angled and the angling mechanism, fixed or adjustable, prevents it from folding flat.

What I’d love is a stand which brings the amp up above waist height. Rather than trying to build a folding one I’d have two rectangles of square section tube. One the right size to support the amp. the other larger to sit on the floor as a base, and four sections of round tube as legs between them. The legs will slide into sockets in the rectangles. No need for clips because the weight of the amp will hold it together.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72494

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited May 2018
    Once you introduce an angled platform, you would also need to introduce rear/back support to ensure the amp doesn’t slide off the back, or the whole ensemble topple over due to the weight. And talking of weight, and again considering an angled platform, you do realise most of the weight and centre of gravity is on the rear of the stand, so these need to beefy as well as having something to prevent that centre of gravity exerting it’s forces in the wrong way.

Considering you have to support a family hatchback, then probably flat platform could and should be easier to design and make.

A demountable-type quick assembly/disassembly stand sounds a great idea. Poss aluminium, if you can get the raw material and design it so that the aluminium’s weaknesses don’t manifest themselves. Why alu? Light weight (even if the hatchback is a tonne plus).

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I've got one of the Fender amp/guitar stands with the adjustable angle. It's lasted years and easily comes apart for slotting in the car. Wide enough for most 212 combos too. 
    Plus you can stick your guitar on it! 
    Its my ideal stand, I haven't needed or wanted another since getting it. 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31632
    'nother amp is always the answer. 

http://i63.tinypic.com/ojnytv.jpg

• flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    I've always found my cab becomes too bright when I raise it off the ground. The easiest way to get a decent sound and have it higher up to hear it better (6ft2) is to use an extension cab (or a light backup combo)