Which volume pedal?

What's Hot
FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
I just want something that sits in front of my effects pedals and solely controls the volume. Would really rather not have a powered pedal.

Been looking at the Boss FV-50H is this the one to go for? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10693
    I tried so many variations but if what you’re basically after is a foot-controlled master volume then you need either a volume pedal or even just a clean boost, in the loop, after everything else. I use a mini Keeley katana boost and it’s amazing. You can use it to open up the volume for a solo, or the other way round, you can use it to decrease the volume for quiet bits. (I set it to boost rather than attenuate). 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6682
    I have three of these for sale (don't ask).... built like tanks and do the job perfectly. 

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/127261/boss-fv-500h-x-3#latest
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    In addition to Roland, I've always found the Ernie Ball VP Jr to work well - in front of drive pedals, like using the volume knob on a guitar. Also built like a tank and never failed on me.

Be careful when buying, though, as some of these pedals can come in different versions for different uses - one for passive pickups, one for active pickups or keyboards. Using the wrong one on a guitar can affect the tone. The makers websites will help here. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 852
    edited May 2018
    Either the Boss FV-50H (plastic) or the FV-500H (steel).
    I have both. The plastic one has a smaller 'footprint'.
    Both are very rugged and the FV-500H is the 1st thing on my pedalboard.
    Wouldn't be without one, worth every penny IMO.
    Note that H = High Impedance, which is what you want at the front of a board.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28174
    I liked my EB vol Jnr. Very smooth.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4134
    edited May 2018
    EB have the best feel in my experience, I’d like to try a Lehle though. If you change your mind about the powered issue then I’m selling an EB MVP cheap.