Locating a noisy valve in Fender HRD iii

What's Hot
PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
Since I bought my s/h HRD iii last November there's been a bit of intermittent noise from one or more of the valves in the clean channel (I don't use the dirty channel). Sounds like a quiet scurrying windy, hissy, rumble. Nothing serious but I thought I'd locate it and swap out a valve or two.

Plugging the guitar into the return socket ("power amp in") eliminates the noise, so I concluded it's not an output valve.

Swapping out the 12AX7 in v3 and the noise is still there. Swapping out v2 and, touch wood, the noise is gone. But how can this be? I thought v2 was for the dirty channel?

Thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72512
    Simple - V2A is used on both channels. It's only V2B that's exclusively on the dirty channel.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    ICBM said:
    Simple - V2A is used on both channels. It's only V2B that's exclusively on the dirty channel.
    Bingo! Thanks, that's it. :)
    Philtre said:

Bingo! Thanks, that's it. :)
    If it ever matters, there's a catch on these amps too, that I've come across twice - a faulty power valve can produce noise in the preamp that doesn't appear when using the power amp in jack - it gets there via the filament wiring. The first time I came across this it took me ages to find it because I did what you did, and assumed it couldn't be a power valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Right-o, I'll bear that in mind. That's a tricksy one. In my own case, replacing v2 has done the trick.
    edited May 2018
    For anyone else who might find this thread, I found this handy FAQ:

The section "Which preamp tubes are V1, V2, and V3? What do they do?" explains it.

Thanks to @ICBM for pointing out the function of V2A.

Out of interest, what physically is going on when a valve starts to produce odd noises like I experienced?
    Philtre said:

Out of interest, what physically is going on when a valve starts to produce odd noises like I experienced?
    I'm fairly sure it's caused by either a tiny amount of air leakage into the valve, and/or contamination of the cathode coating.

The other main problems a preamp valve can have are microphonics - usually whistling or 'ringing', but sometimes lower frequencies - caused by the internal parts having come loose and effectively amplifying physically vibration - and hum, which is usually caused by breakdown of the insulation between the filament and the cathode.