SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded

What's Hot
guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
edited August 2018 in Guitars £

*edit* SOLD!

*edit* Back on the market - I'm downscaling

This is a 2007 model (July 24th to be exact) of the first version of the much-lauded LP Faded series that Gibson have released over the years.

Key things to note:

• It weighs nothing*
  • It sounds huge**
  • It's had the Nivea treatment and has a beautiful feeling open-pore finish
  • Studies show that women (& men/other) are instantly 1642%*** more attracted to you when you**** hold it
  • It's practically unplayed
  • It's not as clown-burst as it looks, I'm just a terrible photographer
The background on this is that I bought it last summer from the original owner, who had essentially bought it from Cranes in Cardiff and put under his bed for the next ten years10 years. The plastics were still on the covers when it arrived (see the toggle switch cover), and there wasn't a single mark on it. I then added the unplated pickup covers (on top of zebra BurstBucker Pros), swapped the knobs over, and fitted the pickguard to add a 1960 vibe to the whole thing.

Unfortunately, in the original owner's haste to put it under the bed the handle on the hardcase was damaged and needs to be repaired. I've since begun the "relic" process for you (because I'm nice like that) but have only taken it from NOS to Closet Classic condition, allowing you to continue the effect at your leisure. 

If you wish to join the exclusive ranks of fellow-fretboarders-who-have-bought-a-guitar-off-of-me, then this could be yours for just £1,400 of your finest queen's sterling please.

I would much prefer a local sale (Central / SE London), as I've gotten lazy and more cautious in recent years so prefer not to post guitars any more unless I can help it. However, I know that doesn't work for everyone, so try me anyways if you have a preferred carrier and are happy to pay for postage at full insured value once securely packed. Failing that I might even be able to deliver it by hand if you're anywhere near a mainline train station (it's a bit hard to carry a hardcase on a motorbike!).

Might go for a part-ex against a Gibson SG Standard / faded plus cash my way may be considered, 50s/fatter necks preferred.

* Nothing is hereby defined as 8lb, 2oz
** It really does
*** Correlation does not imply causation
**** Effects may not continue when subject is changed or removed.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Very pretty..........may I ask does this have a 50's or 60's neck profile?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dallcorpdallcorp Frets: 139
    Oops.......just saw the sticker on the rear toggle switch cover! :-)
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4156
    Yep - 50s neck, though far from a baseball bat!
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    Ooh, nice.  Big fan of these.
  • SRichSRich Frets: 763
    Does that make it a 2005 Standard Faded?

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    edited June 2018
    SRich said:
    I shall dig out the paperwork and double-check, but definitely one of that original run of them - not the later (+2010?) versions.
  • LuxxmanLuxxman Frets: 36
    Its good to read what Larry Corsa says about these Faded Gibsons. He thinks they have the best sound of any Gibson Les Paul Reissue and he does a specific conversion of them to Peter Greens Les Paul Specs. There are lots of videos on his website showing how good they sound. He calls them LPCG and the website is https://archive.corsaguitars.com/lcpg-gallery/ . I tried to buy one of his own Manalishi Les Pauls which follow on from the faded conversions (and come in at around 7ibs in weight) but couldnt because of the CITES regulations. I was able to buy one of the incredibly inexpensive Fury guitars which he also makes with the same Peter Green Tone chasing aim and it has a brilliant tone. 
    £1400 is a great price for this guitar -they normally go for £1800-1900 from what I can see.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    SRich said:
    I shall dig out the paperwork and double-check, but definitely one of that original run of them - not the later (+2010?) versions.
    Well I guess the serial number may be a great start......pm me

edited June 2018
    Luxxman said:
    Its good to read what Larry Corsa says about these Faded Gibsons. He thinks they have the best sound of any Gibson Les Paul Reissue and he does a specific conversion of them to Peter Greens Les Paul Specs. There are lots of videos on his website showing how good they sound. He calls them LPCG and the website is https://archive.corsaguitars.com/lcpg-gallery/ . I tried to buy one of his own Manalishi Les Pauls which follow on from the faded conversions (and come in at around 7ibs in weight) but couldnt because of the CITES regulations. I was able to buy one of the incredibly inexpensive Fury guitars which he also makes with the same Peter Green Tone chasing aim and it has a brilliant tone. 
    £1400 is a great price for this guitar -they normally go for £1800-1900 from what I can see.
    Yeah - oddly enough I was on a big Peter Green binge leading up to purchasing this! I was toying with having @lamf68 do a refinish on it to something more "authentic", but tbh I love the feel of it as stock. I haven't done a side-by-side with Rx models but it genuinely took away my GAS for anything fancier - even the stock BurstBucker Pros sound great to my ears.

I've seen a range of prices for them, and yes it might be at the lower end of the spectrum, but I got it for a good price too and generally pass that onto the forum. If I end up listing it elsewhere then it'll be at a higher rate to reflect that.

@SRich - it's a 2007 model, serial number dates it to July 24th, see here:

• mattacjonesmattacjones Frets: 507
    Whereabouts are you in London and what's the nivea finish?
    Whereabouts are you in London and what's the nivea finish?
    SE London, near Greenwich / Lewisham. The “nivea treatment” is just a bad attempt at pore-related humour... ignore me! ;) It’s got the stock hand-rubbed, non-grain-filled nitro finish.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    SRich said:
    This run started in 2005 but the only difference between this guitar being made in 2007 compared to the first year run models in 2005 is that this one will be chambered.  The 2005 Fadeds are the only year this model were produced with the traditional weight relieving method, which is why they tend to be mentioned separately.

I still have regrets about letting go of my 05 Faded. I'd changed out the hardware to Faber and fitted a set of Shed PAF Daddys which really transformed it beyond what was already a great guitar.  It really could hold it's own against any custom shop for playability and tone.

GLWS
  • bodhibodhi Frets: 1334
    edited June 2018
    I believe only the 2007 and 2008 faded runs were chambered.

The first run in 2005 was weight relieved.  Some were made in 2006, but Gibson started chambering them very late in that year, so some from 2006 have 2007 specs.

There were also more limited weight relieved runs in 2009, 2010/2011, and 2012.  And in 2016, too, IIRC.  But no chambering for those years, to the best of my recollection.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Not gonna lie, I don’t have a clue. Honestly thought this run were all the same spec, but regardless it’s a great LP.

Without wanting to derail the thread any further onto the merits of chambered vs “traditional weight-relief” (aka swiss cheese), I’ll save everyone the bother: I had a jam on it last night for the first time in a while and it made it clear there’s no point selling this one unless I actually need the cash, so... WITHDRAWN.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Wiz’d. In the words of Johnnie Taylor : It’s Cheaper to Keep Her........ ;)

You’d sell and then want it back in time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Ah, the classic "withdrawn" ploy.  Now we all want it even more, so that when you put it back up in a week's time we'll all be biting your hand off!  ;)
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LuxxmanLuxxman Frets: 36
    Wise choice!
    Trude said:
    Ah, the classic "withdrawn" ploy.  Now we all want it even more, so that when you put it back up in a week's time we'll all be biting your hand off!  ;)
    Haha - not quite I’m afraid! Never say never, but this’ll stay for a while longer at least :)
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Trude said:
    Ah, the classic "withdrawn" ploy.  Now we all want it even more, so that when you put it back up in a week's time we'll all be biting your hand off! 
    Haha - not quite I’m afraid! Never say never, but this’ll stay for a while longer at least
    Two weeks then D
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4719
    Trude said:
    Haha - not quite I’m afraid! Never say never, but this’ll stay for a while longer at least :)
    I had my LP Classic up for sale but figured that it was nice enough that I'd miss it and end up buying yet another.
    Keep the bugger.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.