Compressor for bass - definitely not for me

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
I tried out my Marshall Compressor on my bass earlier today.  And I did not like what it did to the sound.  It works very nicely with both of my Teles, but the additional gain and noise simply sounded wrong to me.  It took away the note quality, this quality was the reason I bought a Fender Precision.

The number of FX pedals that I like is getting very small........
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Would that be the Marshall ED-1 Edward The Compressor pedal?

If the gain reduction is tracking the strongest signal (usually, the E string), it will be doing horrid things to the signal from the other three strings. 

If, as I suspect, you play bass through an Ampeg amplifier, it is probably wisest to let the valves do the compressing for you.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6146
    tFB Trader
    I’d suggest that it’s just that compressor rather than compressors per se
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Thanks guys.  @Funkfingers, my amp is a Markbass Minimark 802 and the compressor is the ED-1 as you suggest.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    I like the tc electronic Spectracomp but Mr. Thorpe could probably suggest something better. ;)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Yes, try a better compressor.

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4921
    I recently bought a Boss CP-1X - it's rather good.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6061
    I find some compressors thin out the bottom end, esp if you use high compression. The Maxon RTC 600 is very good, it actually enhances the low end, possibly due to its valve gain circuit. Keeley Compressor Pro is excellent too.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    Try a limiter rather than a compressor - eg the Boss LMB-3. It affects the dynamics you normally use less, while still preventing excessive transients that can overload the amp or speakers.

The Marshall is designed as an 'effect' compressor for guitar - like (but not the same as) the MXR Dyna Comp - so I wouldn't expect it to work well on bass. I've never tried it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I see where you are coming from @ICBM @prowla @JezWynd, I like what the Marshall does to my Tele sounds. I will check out better units when next in Dublin, possibilities still exist....

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

I can't get on with compressors on guitar, but find them usefull on bass. More to smooth out my sloppy playing when my wussy guitar hands are getting tired of big strings.

MXR bass compressor is my favourite.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    I'd suggest you're only going to really appreciate a compressor on bass when playing with a band or when used in recording.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom