Guitar pedal that sounds like a valve amp? Does it exist?

What's Hot

Comments

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9532
    They ALL claim to sound like a valve amp....!!

My current fave would be the Greer Lightspeed 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 238
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 238
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • peachespeaches Frets: 45
    The answer, as it is to many overdrive threads, is the Blackstone MOSFET.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26579
    Pretty much all the AMT preamp pedals - they're as close as you're going to get, IMO.

I used the AMT Fender Twin-alike into the effects return of my amp, with the Bogner Red in front of the AMT. I never once thought it sounded anything but amp-like. It even sounded pretty good with the built-in cab emulated output direct, which is highly unusual without something like the Mooer Radar.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Thank you all for your recommendations. I considered them all and have narrowed it down to either getting another tech 21 blonde or saving for an ethos clean. I'm leaning towards the latter as it appears to be the best sounding pedal direct to a PA, 9V and small-ish footprint helps too. 

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Atomic Amplifire box?
  • timbuk02timbuk02 Frets: 271

If you're considering the Ethos worth checking out the Shiftline Twin
    http://www.shift-line.com/card.php?device=75

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    AMT SS11-a has 3 awesome channels, a 12ax7 and a DI out. It really is excellent
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    edited June 2018
    AMT SS11-a has 3 awesome channels, a 12ax7 and a DI out. It really is excellent
    Definitely more rock oriented, loved mine, but the clean channel wasn't it's strongest point IMO.  Also the emulated out isnt that good, really needs something better if you are going straight to the PA
    John_A said:
    Atomic Amplifire box?
    Forgot about this one. Definitely a strong contender.. I'll have a listen to some stuff.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

The  Blackstar HT range are the only pedals AFAIK to run the valve at 300V. The "LT" range had the design brief that they should sound like the HTs. They are much cheaper and use the more convenient PP3 . Worth a try?

Dave.

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Clean valve... Fender pre gain twin with more headroom? Maybe see if you can find a lab series pre amp clone pedal.  they do the clean fender sound to a T

edited June 2018
    Cheap option??? The joyo American sound is designed to be a pedal or di direct to pa and is a fender twin emulation.  You can dial in cab sound you want and keep gain low.  For £30ish its probs not a bad option at all for open mic direct to pa clean fender sound (add a DI box if wanna present desk a disconnected xlr - the wee passive Pules di at cpc Farnell is a transformer based one for low price and works great).  So maybe £45ish for Pedal and Di box and your set for open mic.

here is an a/b video of clean American sound v deluxe twin.  After vid you'll see the results vid in wee list of follow on vids.  

edit, here is results vid

in fact gonna make a light open mic rig outa mine with American sound, rothwell f1 boost, and my pulse DI box.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    ecc83 said:

The  Blackstar HT range are the only pedals AFAIK to run the valve at 300V.

The Mesa, Matchless, Bad Cat and Soldano ones do too. They’re all essentially valve amp preamps in a floor box. The Mesa V-Twin is a hybrid like the Blackstar, the others (including the Mesa V-1) are all-valve.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I genuinely think the Tech 21 Character series pedals sounded better than any of the Blackstar pedals that actually ran valves
    mr-mac said:
    Cheap option??? The joyo American sound is designed to be a pedal or di direct to pa and is a fender twin emulation.  You can dial in cab sound you want and keep gain low.  For £30ish its probs not a bad option at all for open mic direct to pa clean fender sound (add a DI box if wanna present desk a disconnected xlr - the wee passive Pules di at cpc Farnell is a transformer based one for low price and works great).  So maybe £45ish for Pedal and Di box and your set for open mic.

here is an a/b video of clean American sound v deluxe twin.  After vid you'll see the results vid in wee list of follow on vids.  

in fact gonna make a light open mic rig outa mine with American sound, rothwell f1 boost, and my pulse DI box.
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have this and unfortunately, it broke on me. It makes a loud constant noise when turned on. I had a tech 21 blonde, which this is cloned from I may just have to get again to get a better quality product. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72323
    I find all the Tech21 products I’ve tried have an irritating midrange, slightly grating overtone that’s very hard to get rid of. None of them sound as good as any of the actual valve pedals mentioned so far to me (although I like the Blackstars the least). I wish they did, since the size and power requirements of all the valve pedals are annoying.

If you want a left-field suggestion - I know it’s not strictly a ‘pedal’, and it’s huge - try a Boss ME-50 on the Natural Overdrive setting with the gain fairly low. It’s the reason I no longer own a V-Twin... I A/B’d them and they were virtually indistinguishable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Branshen said:
    mr-mac said:

Thanks for the suggestion. I have this and unfortunately, it broke on me. It makes a loud constant noise when turned on. I had a tech 21 blonde, which this is cloned from I may just have to get again to get a better quality product. 
    Ah that's a shame... Mine still going a few years down line but always possible issues with most stuff (though canny say if joyo any worse code cheap, know a few who have had them in pedal board for a long time and no issues so far).
    ICBM said:
    I find all the Tech21 products I’ve tried have an irritating midrange, slightly grating overtone that’s very hard to get rid of. None of them sound as good as any of the actual valve pedals mentioned so far to me (although I like the Blackstars the least). I wish they did, since the size and power requirements of all the valve pedals are annoying.

If you want a left-field suggestion - I know it’s not strictly a ‘pedal’, and it’s huge - try a Boss ME-50 on the Natural Overdrive setting with the gain fairly low. It’s the reason I no longer own a V-Twin... I A/B’d them and they were virtually indistinguishable.
    That is left field indeed. But unfortunately won't fit on a pedaltrain mini. Boss should produce a single pedal size cosm amp emulator with speaker simulator and a mic/line out. That'd be a great product. Like the boss deluxe reverb but better...