strange selling practices on here

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    @Bridgehouse there's no way it's worse than lolling, I can guarantee that if you came here and everyone who lolled instead gave vitriolic comebacks you wouldn't be here very long, it would be truly toxic, the odd snide lol is pretty harmless ...... Only in my opinion.  
    Fuck you, twat face ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Bridgehouse there's no way it's worse than lolling, I can guarantee that if you came here and everyone who lolled instead gave vitriolic comebacks you wouldn't be here very long, it would be truly toxic, the odd snide lol is pretty harmless ...... Only in my opinion.  
    Fuck you, twat face ;)
    I see what you mean :D
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Hahahha touché sir touché 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    i very cautiously Lol'ed that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    kin said:
    i very cautiously Lol'ed that 
    Bastard! how very dare you ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    edited June 2018
    digitalscream said:

Worse is the other question - "Is this really a community any more?", and the knowledge that anything we could potentially do to nudge it back to the original vision would result in the fallout landing on us yet again, because - as is the norm online - the loudest voices are always those who don't like it.
    I think there`s still community here. There`s a few threads I read where I think - `wow, someones had a really bad day`, but they are comparatively few and far between. Mainly it`s just interesting guitar talk from like minded people.

I think I`d be happy in having a social beer with most people on here, which is probably a good test. (Swindon if anyone`s interested)

Also, as a relative late comer but having bought and sold on here, I genuinely had no idea we had a feedback system. I`m off to find out about that now...........
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    edited June 2018
    The more this forum stays predominantly take-take then the more likely it is that @TTony and @digitalscream will think "fuck it" and pull the plug. 
    This is straying a long way from the point of the thread, but...this is definitely something we need to think about. It's no secret that, when running this kind of community, there are always going to be days when you think, "Are we actually adding any value to the world here, and are we achieving the goals we set out at the beginning?", but when those days become more frequent...it does become a much bigger and more pressing question.

Worse is the other question - "Is this really a community any more?", and the knowledge that anything we could potentially do to nudge it back to the original vision would result in the fallout landing on us yet again, because - as is the norm online - the loudest voices are always those who don't like it.
    Judging by the response to the 5th Birthday weekend, the 'community' thing seems to have evaporated.

I joined at a time when I was looking to sell a guitar. Having done so, I skimmed the rules, and made the decision to steer clear of the classifieds, before posting anything for sale. But I'd sold the guitar elsewhere before I got the chance to post an ad, yet I've not regretted contributing to the Forum. I even managed to forego my street cred and sport a Fretboard Baseball Cap at a certain guitar show. I'll never live that down (sorry @TTony ). 

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    The more this forum stays predominantly take-take then the more likely it is that @TTony and @digitalscream will think "fuck it" and pull the plug. 
    This is straying a long way from the point of the thread, but...this is definitely something we need to think about. It's no secret that, when running this kind of community, there are always going to be days when you think, "Are we actually adding any value to the world here, and are we achieving the goals we set out at the beginning?", but when those days become more frequent...it does become a much bigger and more pressing question.

In answer to the question in bold,most definitely. Especially to us members who spend hours (literally) on here each week.

It may seem insignificant to others but this forum is the only form of social media I use,and it gives me immense pleasure doing so.From the wealth of knowledge,in a huge amount of subjects,and I'm not just talking music/guitars,to the brilliant banter and ocasional picture of cats I'd say you're definitely adding value to my world (and most other regular posters).

Oh,and it's definitely still a community, and a great one at that. To think that I could turn to a bunch of strangers to talk about any highly personal issue (and I have done in the past) and come away with excellent advise,plus the knowledge that these people genuinely want to help you is a wonderfully life affirming thing.A lot of people,I imagine,would be much the worse off if this place wasn't around.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5036
    edited June 2018
    fandango said: I even managed to forego my street cred and sport a Fretboard Baseball Cap at a certain guitar show. I'll never live that down (sorry @TTony ). 

Wait, there’s a Fretboard baseball cap?! Where does one find out about the availability of such sartorial elegance?  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    fandango said: I even managed to forego my street cred and sport a Fretboard Baseball Cap at a certain guitar show. I'll never live that down (sorry @TTony ). 

Wait, there’s a Fretboard baseball cap?! Where does one find out about the availability of such sartorial elegance?  :)
    I believe @TTony has a shipping container full of them...
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4670

i would happily pay cash for one of these bad boys to wear around the beach this summer 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12357
    edited June 2018

Wait, there’s a Fretboard baseball cap?! Where does one find out about the availability of such sartorial elegance? 
    You have to earn the caps, I had to learn songs for the southern jam until my fingers bled (well were a little sore one morning).

Having been at the southern jam there is definitely a community and I have just built a guitar created with bits from members and built with their expertise.

Scrap frets and just have peoples post count I think.  There is a place for having some idea of how much a poster is involved, would certainly convince me to trust a seasoned poster more in a trade for instance.
    munckee said:

Wait, there’s a Fretboard baseball cap?! Where does one find out about the availability of such sartorial elegance? 
    You have to earn the caps, I had to learn songs for the southern jam until my fingers bled (well were a little sore one morning).

Having been at the southern jam there is definitely a community and I have just built a guitar created with bits from members and built with their expertise.

Scrap frets and just have peoples post count I think.  There is a place for having some idea of how much a poster is involved, would certainly convince me to trust a seasoned poster more in a trade for instance.
    I'd have both - post counts and frets as I think the frets are good for stopping the "I agree" posts.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgieGadgie Frets: 96

For me...I'm with Mark123 on this one. As I sometimes work away from home (offshore) I sometimes can't arrange payment/collection until I get home. I have on several occasions let people know of my situation and wrote "I'll take it" and come home to find they have sold it without waiting. However, on almost every occasion I have stated that if someone comes along before I get home then to sell it to them. This must be my way of my head telling me it is a 'nice to have' rather than I really really actually want the item.

If I commit to buying something (taking the above into account) then I will pay for it. My music room is full of 'stuff' I said I would buy, and ended up actually buying it because I didn't want to let the seller down.

I'm sorry if people feel the need to sell to the 'first payer' as it might be that they are a little down on their luck need to sell something to pay a bill etc. However, please try to give the buyer a fair chance to get the payment to you etc.

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1464
    munckee said:

I'd have both - post counts and frets as I think the frets are good for stopping the "I agree" posts.
    I agree .
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Facebook works fine without post counts or rep counts.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Facebook works fine

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Facebook works fine without post counts or rep counts.

Actually that's very true I have sold more on Facebook in the last 3 years than on here and ebay combined. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    i understand people feeling aggrieved about people selling but not contributing to the forum but hold on. They only sell stuff when people buy it, and i have bought a few items from non forum contributing sellers. why should i lose out. If people just want to advertise and sell stuff without commenting in the forum does it really matter. Id rather just read stuff from people who WANT to comment , not people just posting frivolous crap to be allowed access to the classifieds.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12357
    Its frivolous cr@p that is the beating heart of this place! : )
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom