Anywhere worth visiting in Leicester?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Where will you be in Leicester? City Centre or outer?
    Actually I just thought I'd drop in as I was passing as I thought it would break up a long car journey. I'm beginning to think I may as well just stop at the nearest services!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Come off the M1 at Markfield and go for a walk in Bradgate Park - definitely dont expend time or energy to go into the city centre - its just a generic starbucks/poundland/macdonalds/cash converters sort of affair to be honest
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4849
    edited June 2018
    I'd second what @BloodEagle says or closer to Markfield is Beacon Hill which is also lovely to walk around or the Outwoods near to Loughborough. I miss being able to wander/cycle around there, beautiful scenery.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• axisus said:
    Where will you be in Leicester? City Centre or outer?
    Actually I just thought I'd drop in as I was passing as I thought it would break up a long car journey. I'm beginning to think I may as well just stop at the nearest services!
    Yeah don’t come into the City unless you need to.. big  rejuvenation on St Margaret’s Way leading to slow traffic jams..

you would not be disappointed having a walk at either Bradgate Park or Beacon Hill.
  • BodBod Frets: 1316
    Come off the M1 at Markfield and go for a walk in Bradgate Park - definitely dont expend time or energy to go into the city centre - its just a generic starbucks/poundland/macdonalds/cash converters sort of affair to be honest
    Aren't all city centres these days?  I used to love a wander around a different town centre, but sadly there's little point now. 

Another vote for Bradgate Park/Beacon Hill from me.  If you want to visit another world, pop into the Beaumont Leys shopping centre...
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4849
    edited June 2018
    Hahaha, when I worked around Leicester we used to sing an alternative version of a Bucks Fizz classic, the title of which was The Land Of Beaumont Leys.....

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Don't stop at Leicester Forest East services - they are crummy.
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5162
    If you're going to break up a long car journey with a guitar related mooch in the east Midlands, I'd go for Nottingham.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Bod said:

If you want to visit another world, pop into the Beaumont Leys shopping centre...
    Boromedic said:
    Hahaha, when I worked around Leicester we used to sing an alternative version of a Bucks Fizz classic, the title of which was The Land Of Beaumont Leys.....
    I have been estate warden/caretaker all over the City but currently and for the last 3 months am posted on B/Leys and it’s easily the worst area and when at night I am having a moan about the constant fly tipping and crap I have to deal with the Wife’s response is always, ‘could be worse we could live that way’ :dizzy: 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3092
    edited June 2018
    What was that great little guitar shop called near the train station @strumjoughlamps ? I mean late 90s early 00s. I like Lestah fwiw. Lovely people an all. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• horsehorse Frets: 1580
    What was that great little guitar shop called near the train station @strumjoughlamps ? I mean late 90s early 00s. I like Leastah fwiw. Lovely people an all. 
    Sheehans
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    saw some sweet bands at the charlotte once upon a life. apparently it's a chinese market now. chicken chow mein & chop suey...
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    horse said:
    What was that great little guitar shop called near the train station @strumjoughlamps ? I mean late 90s early 00s. I like Leastah fwiw. Lovely people an all. 
    Sheehans
    Yep Sheehan's.  It closed down last year unfortunately.
  • vale said:
    saw some sweet bands at the charlotte once upon a life. apparently it's a chinese market now. chicken chow mein & chop suey...
    Don't know if it's moved from when you saw it, but the Charlotte is still going.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7184
    vale said:
    Don't know if it's moved from when you saw it, but the Charlotte is still going.
    Nope, it’s a Chinese supermarket 
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    Awright, m'duck?

50 years or so ago I used to go to the Churchill, on the corner of High St and Silver St - it was a hangout of the band "Family" and their mates.

It was also a junkie's paradise - I knew a bloke who shot a double gin straight into his arm...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nitefly said:
    Awright, m'duck?

50 years or so ago I used to go to the Churchill, on the corner of High St and Silver St - it was a hangout of the band "Family" and their mates.

It was also a junkie's paradise - I knew a bloke who shot a double gin straight into his arm...

Music in a Dolls House, what a classic.
  • spark240spark240 Frets: 2086
    The nearest motorway slip road...

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom