New Pignose Day

What's Hot
ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
Crackling!!

And yes it is, quite badly... it may need a new pot. It also looks like it's been dropped onto the power socket which is damaged, but apart from that and a few small nicks in the hide, it's in pretty good nick.

I have a love-hate relationship with these, I've owned several of them before, all bar the first one acquired in the same way as this - bought very cheaply either not working or needing more than the owner wants to pay for... the build quality is terrible and they're not easy to make really good. They sound awful/great too - in a unique way, not like any other amp I can think of, valve or solid-state.

This one seems to be quite an old one - not an original US one, but the sticker inside says Made In Hong Kong instead of Made In China, so I don't think it's very recent.

Not sure if I'll keep it for ever, but it's a fun thing to have again :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Seems an odd choice to pair with your Ric Bass tho.....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72322
    I hadn't thought of that but I'll have to try it . The speaker is actually quite chunky so I don't think it will blow it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    I hadn't thought of that but I'll have to try it . The speaker is actually quite chunky so I don't think it will blow it.
    You need to report back/post a clip or something... 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I have a late 80s, I believe and it's a lot cleaner than the modern ones, which fuzz up a lot quicker.
    This one is pretty fuzzy, but the batteries look old and the power socket is currently broken...

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    This amp reminds me of MIchael Schenker, specifically Obsession and parts of Lights Out.  I wanted one, because of Schenker, a lot of years ago and tried one and thought it sounded terrible so I never bothered! 
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    Just because, we can all dream eh.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q0nImsfMvE

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Took mine to a festival last summer, little delay pedal to go with. Bliss.

"OY! you're keeping me awake!"

Festi's not what they used to be.
    My dream is more like this...

So I'd quite like an old Lake Placid Blue Esquire as well ;).

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    blobb said:

Beat me to it. ;-)
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    blobb said:

On one of Dweezil's rig rundowns he's re-created that filtered Pignose tone with his Axe-FX rig, sounds dead on accurate. 
    I thought Frank only modified the pignose to give him studio connectivity, the sound was pretty much 'as is'. The real tone came from the baby snakes sg mods (and fingers of course), probably tone-wood too but not let's get into that eh? All I know is it doesn't sound anything like me through a pignose. Festival guy probably agreed.........
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited June 2018
    What people also forget as that pignose was layed on it's back on floor of a 6x6 room and mic'd at the ceiling.  Which is why it sounds different to just plugging into a pignose.

edit... May be talking crap, may have been one used on led zeppelin recordings that was done like that ;)

edited June 2018
    blobb said:
    I thought Frank only modified the pignose to give him studio connectivity, the sound was pretty much 'as is'.
    The modern ones have the line out socket as standard.

blobb said:

The real tone came from the baby snakes sg mods
    I think it's this - the guitar had an active EQ/boost circuit in it which makes the amp sound totally different - the Pignose has a very low input impedance which makes a normal guitar straight in sound odd. Of course, you can easily do that with a pedal in front as well.

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited June 2018
    Also makes a great Blues Harp amp :) sold mine and never got round to replacing it yet
    mr-mac said:
    Also makes a great Blues Harp amp
    Because it's not loud enough to be heard over the rest of the band.

:)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    How you set the tone control (the door) on these amps is critical to getting a good sound.
    ^^ yeah. Firmly, on the way out of the room.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    ICBM said:

blobb said:

The real tone came from the baby snakes sg mods
    I think it's this - the guitar had an active EQ/boost circuit in it which makes the amp sound totally different - the Pignose has a very low input impedance which makes a normal guitar straight in sound odd. Of course, you can easily do that with a pedal in front as well.
    There used to be a video on YT where Dweezil talks about how he taught himself all of Frank's guitar parts and he plays excerts from the Black Page etc on the Baby Snakes SG. At one point he makes the point that the Pignose was just a standard amp - no mods. He unplugs Baby Snakes and plugs in his own SG and it sounds horrible - flat, lifeless and lacking any real tone. He then plugs Baby Snakes back in and the sound is incredible. Its all in that guitar - its got some kind of parametric booster on board that he can sweep certain frequencies. Plus there's an on board ring modulator IIRC.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    edited June 2018
    As used extensively on 461 Ocean Boulevard by EC - slide parts on Motherless Children and I Can’t Hold Out IIRC. I had a US one but but moved it on ages ago. Looking at that, I quite fancy another....