Vox AC100CPH

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 714
what's the thoughts on this amp?

I don't play high gain stuff but looking for a good vox chime tone,i Any good for that? do the 2 channels compliment each other and does it work with pedals?

Is it reliable, valve chewer!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 30909
    If you’re asking because you’ve seen one for sale, probably the only person who knows is whoever is selling it :).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 714
    ICBM said:
    If you’re asking because you’ve seen one for sale, probably the only person who knows is whoever is selling it :).
    You come across many in your line of work icbm?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 3381
    I had one and gigged it, also had the 50 watter before that.

They're actually really cool and quite unique amps, but absolutely *nothing* like your classic Vox edge-of-breakup chime. The feeling is much more a modern 2 channel high gain amp.

The clean channel is properly clean and breaks up in a more high frequency, scratchy way - it made me think a bit more of a Hiwatt. Took pedals great and very flexible tone circuit.

The distorted channel is crazy. It's possible to make it sound *fantastic*, with a really thick low mid, saturated and articulate grind that's heavily distorted yet cleans up amazingly with a half turn of the guitar's volume pot. And with preamp gain, channel volume and master volume, you can get a different feeling based on how you balance the various volumes.

On the flip side, it's possible to make the distortion channel sound terrible and fizzy. I seem to remember you had to keep the treble knob below 1/4. All the good tones were there, the range on the treble just went too far.

The effects loop is the same circuit as the old AC30cc (+4 and -10 level options), which I think is fantastic.

It doesn't burn through tubes, it's a standard push/pull class B EL34 power section with adjustable bias so you can run it as hot or cold as you like. And the bias pots are easily reachable behind a little panel that unscrews on the back, alongside terminals so you can easily read the bias current with a multi-meter. So it's actually a really well thought out amp. I found it very sensitive to preamp tubes; Quite often I find the differences are pretty much irrelevant; not so in this circuit. On this amp the stock tubes were ok on both the heads I had, but replacing some with old mullards, brimars etc really changed the midrange for the better.

I found the 100 watt version had a lot more bass than the 50, to the point I modified it to cut some of the subs down.

Pairs fantastically with Vintage 30s; speakers with nice clear upper mids but mellow above 5kHz or so.

When I had the 100-watt version alongside a Mesa Tremoverb, the AC100cph actually held its own. I was alternately plugging them into the same 2x12 V30 cab and was surprised at how close the drive channels could get, though the AC100 didn't call out for a boost pedal to get the level of saturation I like to play at. If I could have afforded to, I'd have kept the 100 watt head even though my home ground is an AC30+ pedals.
    Captain Horizon (my band);
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 30909
    thomasw88 said:

No. That was my point :). I’ve never seen one or heard of anyone with one until now.

Although we now know who bought the one they sold ;).
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • StefBStefB Frets: 392
    ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:

No. That was my point :). I’ve never seen one or heard of anyone with one until now.

Funny you should say that as there's actually a few of them on eBay at the moment.  I liked the look of them when they first came out and the reviews were favourable.
    ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:

Not bought one yet.  Just looking at them in a ooh thats quite interesting manner!
  • dandldandl Frets: 4
    I echo what Cirrus said and i have his old one. It is a great amp.  I personally find it more Voxy than the AC15 that i had. Im trying to sell mine in a half arsed kind of way as it's a great amp and i'll never find another but as I'm not playing live at the moment it really is a bit of overkill for the man cave! If your by any chance South Wales based your very welcome to have a go.
  • TitchTitch Frets: 22
    Is it the one advertised on Gumtree  in Newcastle?
    Titch said:
    Is it the one advertised on Gumtree  in Newcastle?
    yes altho i saw it on ebay. is it yours?
  • TitchTitch Frets: 22
    No it's not mine.
    ICBM said:
    thomasw88 said:

I know you've at least had the handle of one.  =)
    Very (!) Occasional Blog
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Will be posting NAD very soon
  • StefBStefB Frets: 392
    edited June 20
    thomasw88 said:
    Will be posting NAD very soon
    £197? Good score!
    Less than £200 for that amp is insane, well done if so!

Seems like used amp prices really have plummeted the last 18 months or so. I picked up a UK-made AC30 for £430 last year, and after several attempts to sell my Genz Benz Black Pearl for a silly price I decided I'd rather keep it than give it away.
    Very (!) Occasional Blog