WORLD CUP 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    boogieman said:
    Thought England deserved to win it, but only because they didn’t cheat like the Colombians. The ref though, wow.....lightweight decisions, had no control of the game and so got no respect from the Colombians.

It’s going to be really tough from here on. The England midfield look terrible and didn’t provide any service. Young got up the pitch to cross once I think. Vardy touched the ball about twice, Kane was backtracking to the halfway line all the time in the second half, both because they didn’t get the ball passed to them. Ospina didn’t make a save once in open play did he? Sterling did his usual running very fast and losing the ball a lot. Please god, don’t pick him again Gareth. 

Don't know why he bought on Vardy rather than Rashford.

Personally, I'd play Rose ahead of Young, but given how important set pieces are, it would put a lot of pressure on Trippier as Young took most of the dead ball stuff from the left hand side of the pitch.  I can understand Southgate playing Young.  Having said that, he was out on his feet when he was substituted last night.  With the short turnaround until the next match, a guy who is about a week short of his 33rd birthday might struggle to be at his best.   I would definitely pick Rose for the next match. 

Sterling might be quite tricky for Sweden.  Their defence is big and not all that quick.  A small player with good acceleration might prosper against them.  You would also rather have Rashford on at the end if it comes to penalties.  It might be better to bring him on for Sterling after 65 minutes, rather than the other way around.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited July 2018
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:

I see they're glum in the EU Parliament today. They obviously love supporting whoever plays England.
    YAWN... What will The Sun say if the EU citizens of Sweden knock you out on penalties.....
    YAWN .. it was an MEP in Brussels who made the comment, not the Sun.

I'm in France for a few days break. Watched the game with about 200 EU members. Nearly all supported Columbia 

Plus the above ... :-)
    Well, you won't have to suffer anymore MEPs etc, next year.
    I bet their still there mate .. I doubt we're going anywhere ... apparently May has an agreement we can kick the can down the road and remain for another 2 years with full rights so long as we stick by the rules, including free movement. We'll probably still be there come the next European Championship .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    crunchman said:

Don't know why he bought on Vardy rather than Rashford.

Personally, I'd play Rose ahead of Young, but given how important set pieces are, it would put a lot of pressure on Trippier as Young took most of the dead ball stuff from the left hand side of the pitch.  I can understand Southgate playing Young.  Having said that, he was out on his feet when he was substituted last night.  With the short turnaround until the next match, a guy who is about a week short of his 33rd birthday might struggle to be at his best.   I would definitely pick Rose for the next match. 

Sterling might be quite tricky for Sweden.  Their defence is big and not all that quick.  A small player with good acceleration might prosper against them.  You would also rather have Rashford on at the end if it comes to penalties.  It might be better to bring him on for Sterling after 65 minutes, rather than the other way around.

I think the idea was long balls from the back that Vardy could run on to and hold the ball up .. he does it quite well for Leicester. It helps run the clock down. Get the ball and run to the corner flag. Shearer was a master at it. England need to improve their game management especially when 1-0 - they need to play like the Italians.

Fretwired said:

England need to improve their game management especially when 1-0 - they need to play like the Italians.
    Don't think it's in our mentality to play like the Italians.  We would have been better off playing reasonably positively and looking for a second goal.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Fretwired said:
    nk the idea was long balls from the back that Vardy could run on to and hold the ball up .. he does it quite well for Leicester. It helps run the clock down. Get the ball and run to the corner flag. Shearer was a master at it. England need to improve their game management especially when 1-0 - they need to play like the Italians.
    In fairness, it was a top drawer save by Pickford in the last minute. You'd have thought that would have been enough to win it.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Fretwired said:

I'm in France for a few days break. Watched the game with about 200 EU members. Nearly all supported Columbia 

To be fair, I cheered for Japan against Belgium, but for no other reason than Belgium are the better side! Maybe it is similar respect from the French :)
    quarky said:
    Fretwired said:

To be fair, I cheered for Japan against Belgium, but for no other reason than Belgium are the better side! Maybe it is similar respect from the French :)
    True .. I always support the underdog .... ;-)

Funnily enough in Sweden they were supporting England last night. Not sure if that's because they like us or think they can beat us .. ;-)

Loved the Twitter meme ... 'Three lions beat 11 cheetah's - David Attenborough impressed' ... :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Fretwired said:
    Former England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson told reporters "England will struggle". Speaking to Swedish news outlet Expressen, he said: "England will struggle to score against Sweden. I believe it will be a Swedish win. And as a Swede my hopes are with Sweden, Eriksson told Expressen following England’s triumph against Colombia on Tuesday evening."

That's it .. England to win .. :-)

He was on R5 this morning saying he thought it would go to penalties.

I've been driving for nearly three hours this morning, R5 have examined that game from every bloody angle. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8600
    Fretwired said:
    Former England manager Sven-Göran Eriksson told reporters "England will struggle". Speaking to Swedish news outlet Expressen, he said: "England will struggle to score against Sweden. I believe it will be a Swedish win. And as a Swede my hopes are with Sweden, Eriksson told Expressen following England’s triumph against Colombia on Tuesday evening."

That's it .. England to win .. :-)

No surprise.

Even working for England, Sven was always behind the Swede.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31589
    BTW, despite my earlier doubts over pickford, this is a world class save and had the resulting corner not gone in, this is all that would have been talked about:

It looked like it was going wide anyway, but whatever. I like Southgate, he has dignity, the team have pulled together into a unit which is stronger than the sum of its parts and I sincerely wish them well. 

I really dread them going on to glory though, English commentators are insufferably smug enough despite them winning nothing for more than half a century. 

Despite screaming for red cards when "dirty" Colombia cheat, when Henderson or Stones put in a headbutt or a boot to a player's head on the floor Hoddle and that other brown-nose creep are all "careful boys, let's not do anything silly". A couple of zero-contact dives from England, one in the penalty area, elicit a "that's ok, they're doing it to us". 

I know if I watch the next game with the sound down I'll end up cheering them on, but for those of us outside England it's largely the commentators which make us support their opponents. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
    I'm English and Hoddle makes me want to turn the sound down.  The problem with all the digital TV these days is that there is a delay on it, so you can't do the old trick of watching the pictures with the radio commentary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:
    I'm English and Hoddle makes me want to turn the sound down.  The problem with all the digital TV these days is that there is a delay on it, so you can't do the old trick of watching the pictures with the radio commentary.
    I think you can if it's on the BBC via the red button? 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Fretwired said:
    In a previous World Cup a Columbian player who scored an own goal was shot dead when he arrived home. 

I remember that - Defender Escobar. Shocking stuff, I couldn't understand why anyone would ever play for Columbia after that.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    crunchman said:
    I truly hate the ITV coverage, not only annoying ads at every opportunity but some of the commentary is dire. Hoddle is terrible, but even he’s a shining example of erudite wit compared to Ryan “Mogadon” Giggs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    crunchman said:

Hoddle is ITV so you can't use the BBC red button.  The only way to do it is to have a separate radio.  I used to like doing it with the cricket, because the TMS radio commentary is normally better than the TV commentary.  Unfortunately all the digital TV channels seem to have a few seconds delay on them so it doesn't work any more.
    crunchman said:
    It was the same with terrestrial TV .. I remember watching a game on TV while the guy next door was in the garden listening on his radio ... didn't hear much until there was a goal .. a few seconds later I saw it on TV. That would have been about 1980 ..

Fretwired said:
    crunchman said:
    It was the same with terrestrial TV .. I remember watching a game on TV while the guy next door was in the garden listening on his radio ... didn't hear much until there was a goal .. a few seconds later I saw it on TV. That would have been about 1980 ..

Used to work with the cricket.

You would think ITV would do something about it.  Hoddle almost makes me nostalgic for Andy Townsend.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    crunchman said:
    crunchman said:

Hoddle is ITV so you can't use the BBC red button.  The only way to do it is to have a separate radio.  I used to like doing it with the cricket, because the TMS radio commentary is normally better than the TV commentary.  Unfortunately all the digital TV channels seem to have a few seconds delay on them so it doesn't work any more.
    Move the radio further away to compensate*

(* you may need to turn the radio up a bit as for a 2 second delay it'd need to be over 600m away).
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yeh, not an option on ITV coverage, unless you listen to the radio via a Ronin wireless system :expressionless: 

[ Bit of thread cross fertilisation] 

• p90fool said:
    BTW, despite my earlier doubts over pickford, this is a world class save and had the resulting corner not gone in, this is all that would have been talked about:

It looked like it was going wide anyway, but whatever. I like Southgate, he has dignity, the team have pulled together into a unit which is stronger than the sum of its parts and I sincerely wish them well. 

I really dread them going on to glory though, English commentators are insufferably smug enough despite them winning nothing for more than half a century. 

Despite screaming for red cards when "dirty" Colombia cheat, when Henderson or Stones put in a headbutt or a boot to a player's head on the floor Hoddle and that other brown-nose creep are all "careful boys, let's not do anything silly". A couple of zero-contact dives from England, one in the penalty area, elicit a "that's ok, they're doing it to us". 

I know if I watch the next game with the sound down I'll end up cheering them on, but for those of us outside England it's largely the commentators which make us support their opponents. 

Wondering why the Colombians protested so hard after the penalty was given? Have a look at what Kane did first to Sanchez. There were no replays or analysis of the event by the one eyed ITV  pundits. Kane first shoves Sanchez forwards then pulls or pushes him back. To say it was a definate penalty without analysing the replays; imagine the reaction if it was givenagaist England. Just saying (dives for cover)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom