Car air con woes!

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
Afternoon all! 

Had my Megane regassed today, after noticing a month or so ago that there was little cool air at all on its lowest settings being blown out..
Weird because last summer it was icy, I’m sure of it. I didnt expect it to all go within half a year so drastically! 

It probably was a couple years before that that it was regassed anyway. 

Anyway theres a small improvement now after the regas but its nowhere near what I knew as ‘air con cold’. 

Before leaving the garage the guy said ‘its cold, but will get colder as you drive about’. 

As if it takes time for the coldness to kick in after a regas or something?! Always thought it was instant. 

Anyway after a blast down the a13 for about 20 miles its the same. A bit colder but generally not as cold as I expected.. was a cool day today as well. 

So what could be wrong here? 

There is 4 vents in the dash, 2 centre and one each side. I’m certain one of the centre ones is almost warm rather than cold.. 

The car has a climate control system, which I read on a forum that some said wouldnt get as cold as a standard AC system.. which confused me.. as I can still set the temperature down past 17c to ‘Lo’, which I’m sure used to get pretty damn chilly! 

I figure the fans are working as the air does seem to be blowing out, but my knowledge of these things is minimal! 

Anything I can check myself to narrow down the issue? 

Cheers all
The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 12712
    Not that I'm an expert in Aircon, but personally I would be rather disappointed in the garage that did the re-gas if they returned the car to you with a poorly performing system.  I would check the aircon heat exchanger (the <usually> silver radiator close to the front of the normal radiator) to see if it's all clogged up with leaves or crap.  Failing that, I'd take it back to the garage and tell them it's nowhere near as cold as it is supposed to be.  You could have a leak.  Do you know if they did a leak test with dye before regassing or whether they just pumped it full of refrigerant and held their hand out ?

    If you don't want to do that for whatever reason, you have to take it to another garage.
    98% shouting at clouds and 2% laminate flooring
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 149
    skunkwerx said:
    Afternoon all! 

    Had my Megane regassed today, after noticing a month or so ago that there was little cool air at all on its lowest settings being blown out..
    Weird because last summer it was icy, I’m sure of it. I didnt expect it to all go within half a year so drastically! 

    It probably was a couple years before that that it was regassed anyway. 

    Anyway theres a small improvement now after the regas but its nowhere near what I knew as ‘air con cold’. 

    Before leaving the garage the guy said ‘its cold, but will get colder as you drive about’. 

    As if it takes time for the coldness to kick in after a regas or something?! Always thought it was instant. 

    Anyway after a blast down the a13 for about 20 miles its the same. A bit colder but generally not as cold as I expected.. was a cool day today as well. 

    So what could be wrong here? 

    There is 4 vents in the dash, 2 centre and one each side. I’m certain one of the centre ones is almost warm rather than cold.. 

    The car has a climate control system, which I read on a forum that some said wouldnt get as cold as a standard AC system.. which confused me.. as I can still set the temperature down past 17c to ‘Lo’, which I’m sure used to get pretty damn chilly! 

    I figure the fans are working as the air does seem to be blowing out, but my knowledge of these things is minimal! 

    Anything I can check myself to narrow down the issue? 

    Cheers all
    When's last time you changed the pollen filters for cabin air?  The get really clogged up over time so could be flow rather than temp???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2559
    Repton MOT & Service Centre in Basildon -- really good for air con

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • SporkySporky Frets: 12757
    edited June 13
    Be your own evil twin. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 338
    Sounds like it's got a leak, or something just isn't working how it should.

    Take it back to them, as if they were anywhere near reputable, they would of added a UV dye with the gas, so any leak should be reasonably easy to spot. They should of also tested it at the time to ensure the working pressures are good, and at least a quick look over for any obvious leaks (depending on location, you sometimes have to let it run for a couple days for leaks to become visible).

    Did they say if there was still gas in the system?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
    Aye I’ll be honest I didnt know much of that! My only previous car that had air con, had a huge leak in its pipes, so I never wanted to afford the repair and just did without for the entire decade of ownership... 

    Never thought to ask about pressures or dyes etc, and the garage didnt mention or say anything was wrong, so I guess they just pumped it full of refrigerant and that was that! 

    What I do know is that the cabin filter could probably do with a change as I havent in 3 years and could verify the previous owner hadnt in atleast a year or two previous to me.

    It does smell sometimes, so I looked into changing it myself, but theres hardly any info online to its whereabouts, and what I could find said I’d need to remove a pedal.. which put me off! 

    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 2194
    Either a leak or the compressor. I've had both faults and the symptoms for both were the same as you mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1022
    Legally a garage must leak test before regassing.
    The improvement should be pretty much instant.

    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 149
    edited June 13
    Cabin filter sometimes fiddly but usually doable yourself..  Makes a huge diff to amount of air fans can blow through if no been done in 5 maybe more years.  Shoulda seen the ones i took out when got last car.  Mine are in a slot above pass footwell and you undo one bolt and slot folds down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
    Cheers all. 

    I’ll get onto finding the pollen/cabin filter, and in the meantime I imagine I’ll notice a leak as the remaining cold will no doubt go, unless I spot the uv dye on the drive before! 

    Thanks for the Brentwood shout @Grunfeld , I’ll check those guys out!
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 2559
    edited June 13
    skunkwerx said:

    Thanks for the Brentwood shout @Grunfeld , I’ll check those guys out!
    Basildon!
    Brentwood = women with silicone tottering around in heels like herds of gazelles
    Basildon = Jeremy Kyle territory (and a good place for car air con)

    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 338
    monofin said:
    Legally a garage must leak test before regassing.
    The improvement should be pretty much instant.


    From a legal point it's illegal to knowingly release refrigerant in to the atmosphere I.e by refilling a knowingly leaking system. The practicality of it is, systems will often pass a vacuum test, but as soon as regassed and run up to normal working pressures, it'll blow corrosion/dirt out of holes, and start leaking.

    It's a bit of a grey area that gets discussed on training courses. The law states you only need to carry out a leak test, which a vacuum test is. Ideally you should carry out a pressure test using nitrogen to check the system retains pressure, but from a legal point, the vacuum test ticks the box of a leak test. So unless something fails a vacuum test, you're not going to go to the hassle of disconnecting the AC machine to hook up the pressure testing kit.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1738
    skunkwerx said:
    Cheers all. 

    I’ll get onto finding the pollen/cabin filter, and in the meantime I imagine I’ll notice a leak as the remaining cold will no doubt go, unless I spot the uv dye on the drive before! 

    Thanks for the Brentwood shout @Grunfeld , I’ll check those guys out!
    Cabin filter does make a difference, I’ve found moisture levels drop better when trying to demist with a clean one. Not sure whether it would affect air temp as much. 

    For a ten quid part it’s worth doing though. Should be a service item but I’ve never had one changed at service yet, mine have all been meticulously avoided by mechanics. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 1986
    I had a brand-new Nissan Primera once that would only blow hot air, whatever the settings on the air-con/heater controls. 

    I took it to the local Nissan dealer, who called out their sub-contracted air-con bloke, who discovered that it had never been gassed-up in the first place!

    So much for "our 50-point check before you drive the car away"...

    Grown most uncommonly fat!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
    randella said:
    skunkwerx said:
    Cheers all. 

    I’ll get onto finding the pollen/cabin filter, and in the meantime I imagine I’ll notice a leak as the remaining cold will no doubt go, unless I spot the uv dye on the drive before! 

    Thanks for the Brentwood shout @Grunfeld , I’ll check those guys out!
    Cabin filter does make a difference, I’ve found moisture levels drop better when trying to demist with a clean one. Not sure whether it would affect air temp as much. 

    For a ten quid part it’s worth doing though. Should be a service item but I’ve never had one changed at service yet, mine have all been meticulously avoided by mechanics. 
    Tbh mine needs a full service. 
    Last service it had was an interim, which it turns out includes nothing except some visual checks and an oil change.. 

    I did the air filter myself after, but then the fuel filter clogged 30 miles from home one night.. luckily I could hit 50mph but any higher and the engine cut out. 

    It saddens me. Was well looked after until 2 recent hit and runs which has left it looking like a piece of shit visually. One of which has left the rear impact bar bent in a V shape. 

    Then the rear wiper goes faulty on me, my tyres inexplicable lose pressure even though theyre in fine condition, same bridgestones all round and have been resealed and valves changed. 

    The mpg indicator has been dropping steadily too.. 

    I want to say its a good car.. but around 5 years ago when the car was 3 years old, the cambelt snapped and the engine seized. 

    Luckily renault replaced the entire engine for free and did the clutch at the same time for a big discount.   

    Now the air con... its a luxury not a necessity so its hard to justify fixing, even though i hate having to be like that.

    Still, its alive!  
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
    Having done some research, there appears to be 2 potential locations for the pollen filter.. 

    One requires the clutch pedal to be removed completely, the other is on the passenger side and requires half of the dashboard and glovebox to come out. 

    Two entirely different locations that seem to vary depending on something that I can’t figure out, and both require stupidness. 

    God I miss my simple mk1 Ford Focus. Hundreds of how to’s on the net and simply made with bolts and screws with only the odd shite plastic clip. 

    I tried to change the rear wiper assembly on the Renault a while back, but of course the entire thing is poxy riveted in place. Cheaper to make, more expensive to buy.  Nothings easy no more. 


    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1738
    edited June 14
    They do put them in some daft locations, which is why I suspect I never had one changed at service despite having had my cars looked after by a variety of places from private mechanics to dealerships.

    FWIW the Focus II needs bits of the dash and the glovebox pulling out first. Knuckle-skinner of a job. 

    Showing my age here, but is there a Haynes manual for your car?

    It’s a shame about the hit and runs. Especially when you’ve cared for the car, that really sucks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 149
    skunkwerx said:
    Having done some research, there appears to be 2 potential locations for the pollen filter.. 

    One requires the clutch pedal to be removed completely, the other is on the passenger side and requires half of the dashboard and glovebox to come out. 

    Two entirely different locations that seem to vary depending on something that I can’t figure out, and both require stupidness. 

    God I miss my simple mk1 Ford Focus. Hundreds of how to’s on the net and simply made with bolts and screws with only the odd shite plastic clip. 

    I tried to change the rear wiper assembly on the Renault a while back, but of course the entire thing is poxy riveted in place. Cheaper to make, more expensive to buy.  Nothings easy no more. 


    Check on forum for your car.  Mine is a single filter but aftermarket also sell em in two half's which make em much easier to change.  Strange to need so much pish for what is supposed to be a yearly change and most specialists work out easy ways
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 149
    But makes me suspect filter is same age as car ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • m_cm_c Frets: 338
    @skunkwerx ; PM me your reg number and I'll have a look to see what tech info I have on the pollen filter location.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 931
    mr-mac said:
    But makes me suspect filter is same age as car ;)
    Haha almost deffo! I dread to think... 

    m_c said:
    @skunkwerx ; PM me your reg number and I'll have a look to see what tech info I have on the pollen filter location.
    Cheers buddy! Appreciate that! 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5406
    but better than Def Con woes...

    https://i.ytimg.com/vi/COr5qHaRbcY/hqdefault.jpg


    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    __________________________________
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 1595
    skunkwerx said:
    Having done some research, there appears to be 2 potential locations for the pollen filter.. 

    One requires the clutch pedal to be removed completely, the other is on the passenger side and requires half of the dashboard and glovebox to come out. 

    Two entirely different locations that seem to vary depending on something that I can’t figure out, and both require stupidness. 

    God I miss my simple mk1 Ford Focus. Hundreds of how to’s on the net and simply made with bolts and screws with only the odd shite plastic clip. 

    I tried to change the rear wiper assembly on the Renault a while back, but of course the entire thing is poxy riveted in place. Cheaper to make, more expensive to buy.  Nothings easy no more. 


    I've heard of stupid locations for heater matrix's before, but never a pollen filter.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 2229
    Once you have changed the pollon filter you can let off a can of cabin/aircon cleaner in the enclosed car while the aircon circulates. It's a mist type deodorant thingy and you cant be in the car at the same time! Costs about £8 and kills the bacteria that cause mould in the pipes and ducts of older cars. The car usually smells better afterwards, properly vent the cabin a few minuets after the process, I'm not a fan of chemicals generally but mould spores are not conducive to your health.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • randellarandella Frets: 1738
    Garthy said:
    I've heard of stupid locations for heater matrix's before, but never a pollen filter.
    If I was a dealership mechanic expected to replace the cabin filter on a Mk II Focus as part of an itemised, fixed-price service I can tell you I bloody wouldn't bother either. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 4844
    randella said:
    Garthy said:
    I've heard of stupid locations for heater matrix's before, but never a pollen filter.
    If I was a dealership mechanic expected to replace the cabin filter on a Mk II Focus as part of an itemised, fixed-price service I can tell you I bloody wouldn't bother either. :)
    The Ford dealership I used when I had my Mk2 Focus had a novel approach to “replacing” the filter, they just used to pour some sort of crystals down the air vents, presumably something akin to shake’n’vac. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • exocetexocet Frets: 500
    In my experience, once Renault air con starts to fail, re-gassing the system doesn't restore full performance. You'll find that there will be other components that will also be failing (pipes, condenser unit etc).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Sign In or Register to comment.