Any Tangerine Dream fans?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I bought 2 albums on vinyl many years ago and really liked them - Encore and Force Majeure.

Some time ago I saw a reasonably priced 'best of' CD so I bought it. The whole thing was terrible! Well, what I mean to say is that I really didn't like any of it at all, not even slightly. 

So, I was wondering if they have any other albums that are more like Encore or Force Majeure?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11894
    I've gone through phases of listening to them a lot, particularly in the 80s
    Whenever I want to find the best albums of an artist, I turn to this site:
    https://www.allmusic.com/artist/tangerine-dream-mn0000002411/discography

15 years ago, I used it to explore "similar" artists to find unheard-of artists to try out:
    http://https//www.allmusic.com/artist/tangerine-dream-mn0000002411/related
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Add Ricochet, Stratosfear and Rubycon to the list.

And maybe Phaedra.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    fandango said:
    Add Ricochet, Stratosfear and Rubycon to the list.

And maybe Phaedra.
    ^^

These are the best IMHO. Was a big fan in the 70s and 80s.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 880
    They're one of my favourite bands, I discovered them through a free Virgin taster album that included Cloudburst Flight from their Force Majeure album.  Their next album Tangram came at a really formative time for me and although in some respects the sounds haven't aged well Tangram is still one of my favourite albums.

I've gone through cycles of rediscovering TD, bought almost all their CDs at one stage, but there have been widely talked about problems with the guy who has continued the band remastering, re-recording and republishing tracks as compilations in so many variants to exploit the back catalogue that it's all become a bit of a mess.

I discovered a band called Redshift a number of years ago and if you like a particular aspect of Tangerine Dream, that kind of repetitive sequenced vintage syth sound I recommend you give them a go.  When you hear it you'll recognise where they got the inspiration.  Give this a try:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6060
    Saw them at the Rainbow years ago, Zeit/Phaedra period. They had a visual synth that put synthesised images of the perf on a big screen generated in real time. The box of tricks was the size of a bus as I recall. It was a bad idea; their music stirs the imagination but you couldn't help but look at the screen just in case someting interesting ever happened. It didn't.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Pope Paul VI sent out a bull of ex-communication, which banned Tangerine Dream from ever performing in a Catholic church anywhere in the world the only time a band has been banned by a Pope.

On 13th December, 1974 Tangerine Dream gave a spectacular concert at the cathedral in Reims in France. The atmosphere in this gothic church enlightened by candles was the perfect background for the music of Tangerine Dream. The music, which was performed by Froese, Franke and Baumann who sat almost motionless in the semi-darkness in front of their electronic altars, created a mysterious religious mood. A lot of people made a 'pilgrimage' to this event, and the cathedral with seats for approximately 2,000 people, had to make room for about 5,000 people that day! This of course did not go by unnoticed, and afterwards this old Catholic cathedral was left in a minor chaos!

Froese: "It was a terrible situation. People couldn't move, they had to piss up against the walls. You can imagine the mess by the end of the concert. What's more, we got the blame for it!" (Melody Maker, 8th October 1994).

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Sorcerer is pretty good too
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    My favourite is Cyclone - it’s one of the very few with some vocals, and although the lyrics probably won’t win any awards it’s a very interesting slant on their usual material.

It also has probably my favourite album cover ever.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0689/5075/products/TangerineDream_Cyclone.jpg

My other top choices would probably be Phaedra, Ricochet, Stratosfear, Force Majeure, Hyperborea and the Sorcerer soundtrack.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    revsorg said:

I discovered a band called Redshift a number of years ago and if you like a particular aspect of Tangerine Dream, that kind of repetitive sequenced vintage syth sound...

Cheers for the heads up on Redshift.  A quick google wasn't too clear if they're still going though.

The first gig I ever went to was TD on their Stratosfear tour.