Dr Z Maz mkII Peach Guitars Video

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    gringopig said:
    I have a Maz 18NR Head, it's a great sounding amp and it is as versatile as this video shows. It is loud enough to break your ears as well. The "Cut" control is the beauty of it's ability.

On the neg side, it went through a pair of EL84's quite quick though (120 hours) and the Jewel bulb went, which is unusual. Not the end of the world as far as amp issues go but I can't help thinking there are more surprises awaiting me in the future.

I would get a tech to check the bias if both output valves have failed at that rate. Check the heater voltage tap off the transformer too!
    Will see how it goes with these new valves. Karltone matched me some with a lower voltage draw (IIRC). Thanks for the tip though, will keep it in mind.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited June 2018
    Those amps sound really nice with the 18 & the Gibson being particularly sweet.

The vids coming out of Peach are really good at the mo. One thing for Peach (whilst we have you here) @peachguitarsdotcom there are demo vids attached to some of your guitar listings, particularly the used ones. Is there any chance of having some indication on the front/home page letting us know there's a vid in there when you select it?

Great stuff and I hope to visit the shop before the summer's out.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    Kebabkid said:
    Those amps sound really nice with the 18 & the Gibson.

The vids coming out of Peach are really good at the mo. One thing for Peach (whilst we have you here) @peachguitarsdotcom there are demo vids attached to some of your guitar listings, particularly the used ones. Is there any chance of having some indication on the front/home page letting us know there's a vid in there when you select it?

It would also be nice to be able to find these videos directly through the peach youtube channel. At the moment they are (I assume) privately listed, so you need to know they exist via the product page in order to watch them - if you just search for e.g. "Gibson ES-330" they don't show up
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Kebabkid said:

It would also be nice to be able to find these videos directly through the peach youtube channel. At the moment they are (I assume) privately listed, so you need to know they exist via the product page in order to watch them - if you just search for e.g. "Gibson ES-330" they don't show up
    Indeed Mike. I stumbled across some by chance and more to the point, if you could see this, you might decide to view one for a guitar you hadn't previously considered and suddenly find yourself liking what you hear. Of course, Jack is a bloody fine guitar player who can make anything sound good, but you get my point.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352

Jack is phenomenal. Just such melodic and ear catching phrasing. Bastard :-)

Just to be clear, @peachguitarsdotcom, Jack is a bastard!!

• Kebabkid said:

We're launching a new site fairly soon and each product that has a video will have some kind of tag that mentions it. We didn't want to just make every single video completely public on the main YT site as we didn't think users would wants 300+ 3-4 minute guitar demos clogging up their YT feed. 

Generally every electric guitar over £1000 at the moment has a video on the product page. We're going to apply this to every price point going forward, we just need to catch up! Acoustic will follow as well.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dean111musicdean111music Frets: 278
    @peachguitarsdotcom ;

Between the 18nr and 18jr is there a lot more gain? i'm guessing with master on full and volume set low you can get nice big clean sounds? Similar to the 38? Like all these things i guess its about sitting in front of the amp with your guitar and playing 
  • @peachguitarsdotcom ;

Between the 18nr and 18jr is there a lot more gain? i'm guessing with master on full and volume set low you can get nice big clean sounds? Similar to the 38? Like all these things i guess its about sitting in front of the amp with your guitar and playing 
    The NR has more gain and mid range. Both can still achieve excellent clean to light breakup tones with volume down and master cranked
    @peachguitarsdotcom ;Will I sound like John and Jack if I buy one? :)
  • @peachguitarsdotcom ;Will I sound like John and Jack if I buy one? :)
    Maybe? It'll be a hybrid of John and Jack - "Jock"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sold ;) 
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1464
    Always fancied a Man 18, having played em several times.

Are these new heads physically smaller in size ?
    Heh heh
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5853
    When did they switch to the ones from the Z Wreck?

@peachguitarsdotcom

?
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

Jack is phenomenal. Just such melodic and ear catching phrasing. Bastard :-)

Just to be clear, @peachguitarsdotcom, Jack is a bastard!!

just make sure you don't touch his knee

• MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited June 2018
    I have a Maz 38 from '05 and an 18 from '15, both reverb heads. Never had a valve problem, or any problem, with either, but I do make a point of changing the EL84s regularly. Both great sounding amps which serve me well. The 6N14N valves which Z now use on the Maz only seem to be available in the USA, but are probably worth trying, particularly as Dr Z suggests they have a 5000 hour life span. I'll carry on using JJ's for now though as they've always been fine. The improvements on the MkIIs make a lot of sense, and on the video they sound great. I hope they haven't lost any of that chime and sparkle which they are both capable of though, as there is another video I've seen where the 18 sounds quite dark, though some will like that. Yes the MK1s can sound a bit brittle, but they don't have to as the EQ is very effective, especially when adjusted with your ears not your eyes:) Speaker choice also helps, and having tried the V30, alnico Gold and G12H30, the Creamback M works well for me right now.
    I'll resist trying the MkII versions as I'll want them and don't want the sleepless nights.....