Weedkiller

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
I need some " industrial strength" weed killer shit for a largish area of garden I have ignored for years.... as a matter of fact they filmed some episodes of Tarzan here......I ain't fit enough tae weed hand by hand so a blitz is in order....
tae be or not tae be
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    SBK is good stuff. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3919
    I bought Tesco's extra strong stuff recently not expecting much, it was about 4 quid. Weeds were gone after a week and haven't returned at all. This was in April.
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Cut it down and cover with black polythene and weight and leave for a while
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    And if want a killer I'd get sort you dissolve in water then go over whole area ;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33814
    Befriend a tree surgeon.
    They have much higher strength stuff than what you can buy at retail.
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1383
    Gallup 360
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
  • rossyamaharossyamaha Frets: 2460
    Salt water but don’t expect to grow anything there for a while. 

I play guitar and take photos of stuff. I also like beans on toast.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    Kill it with fire.

Get a Sheen X300 flame gun and go all Colonel Kilgore on it... (with paraffin rather than napalm, admittedly ;))

Less harmful to the environment than weedkiller, and *much* more fun :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• StavrosStavros Frets: 337
    edited June 2018
    Recently  bought this commercial strength weedkiller: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071GVC33M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and sprayer: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RD0KTZQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works a treat and the sprayer makes it easy. Takes about a week or so before it takes effect.
    I love my brick
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    @hootsmon ;;
    For £50 I'll come and play guitar in your overgrown area for a few days - that should take care of any organic life in the vicinity.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2466
    Glyphosate based weedkiller will kill most weeds. Won't touch mare's tail though, you need some stuff that you can't buy as weedkiller anymore but you can still buy as a compost additive, can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Also, nothing really kills Japanese Knotweed (although injecting with glyphosate is the most effective method)
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2910
    I got some stuff called Rosate for cheap online. Not tried it yet but the packaging is adorned with many environmental warnings and suggests you use a mask and gloves when handling it so I assume its the good stuff :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Take off. Nuke em from orbit. Only way to be sure......

I would also echo what strtdv says - get the most concentrated form you can (cant remember the name, but it has a mostly blackish packaging I think) and use a dedicated sprayer (dirt cheap from ebay). Doesn't always work quickly but it *does* work.

Adam
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11951
    gallup 360

you need a proper sprayer, an eye mask and breathing mask

I bought my first 5L from a farmer's merchant, but this year's one from ebay:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5L-GALLUP-XL-SUPER-STRENGTH-PROFESSIONAL-GLYPHOSATE-TOTAL-GARDEN-WEEDKILLER/262979755886?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&var=561987175477&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

not tried this bottle yet, but trader has 185k feedback!

you need something like an 8L sprayer with a shoulder strap:
    https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Spear-Jackson-Action-Pressure-Sprayer/dp/B01CI55GWG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1529389872&sr=8-1&keywords=garden+pressure+sprayer+8l

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    gallup 360
    Yes, this. I got mine from a customer in the agriculture industry. It's powerful stuff.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    strtdv said:
    Glyphosate based weedkiller will kill most weeds. Won't touch mare's tail though, you need some stuff that you can't buy as weedkiller anymore but you can still buy as a compost additive, can't remember the name of it off the top of my head.

Also, nothing really kills Japanese Knotweed (although injecting with glyphosate is the most effective method)

We had knotweed in our land before we built our house. We had it treated but according to the people who did it, it's just a matter of time before it comes back. 
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1244
    Glyphoshate (aka Gallup/Roundup) is the most effective stuff you'll get retail.

Safest option is to apply it via watering can, and just be sensible with it. You used to be able to get ready mixed stuff that came in a kind of watering can type container, but I've not noticed that for a while.
    It's actually pretty safe stuff. It will make you a bit ill if you drink it neat, but it's actually further down the poisonous scale than salt, unlike some of the other commercial alternatives.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    Get yourself a couple of pigs, not only will they do the weeding, but they’ll give it a good dig over as well.
    Once they’re done, just enjoy the sausages.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15980
    What! they are gonna cook me sausages too?
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom