Decibel level

What's Hot
MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
edited March 2014 in Live
Afternoon everyone,

My band's first proper gig is coming up this Saturday and we decided to take a 'battle of the bands' slot primarily to get experience gigging.

We've been forwarded the gig details (soundcheck times, equipment etc) and it states that the decibel limit for the venue is 90db.They cannot exceed this.

We're quite a loud band who often implement the 'quiet verse - loud chorus' style of songwriting and I'm a bit concerned as in my head I imagine 90db to be pretty quiet for a gig. I've looked at examples and some state a food blender is 90db! Fire alarms are supposed to be 100db.

It's also made me worry a bit about the use of my overdrive pedal which I use in most songs.

As I am clueless when it come to decibel levels can anyone enlighten me, perhaps even reassure me?
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Your drummer and bass player are going to have to learn to keep it down.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    Uh oh, I'll let the soundguy tell them that!
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1677
    If it's a Battle of the Bands, I'm assuming that the venue will be supplying the PA and sound man. If that's the case, as long as you do as you're told, it's their problem to worry about really.

The key with these things is to be really co-operative and get the sound man on-side. Be prepared, set up quick and be 'good blokes' (which can be trickier than you expect when you're a bit tense and nervous!). Set amp levels to whatever the sound man tells you to, and be his best mate - even if he's an arse.

Maybe try to rehearse at a quieter level in preparation to see if you can still get your dynamics working with a lower max volume?

At the end of the day there's a minimum volume of a rock band with a live drummer, and if the venue can't cater for that, they have no business hosting a Battle of the Bands.

DannyP said:
    If it's a Battle of the Bands, I'm assuming that the venue will be supplying the PA and sound man. If that's the case, as long as you do as you're told, it's their problem to worry about really.

The key with these things is to be really co-operative and get the sound man on-side. Be prepared, set up quick and be 'good blokes' (which can be trickier than you expect when you're a bit tense and nervous!). Set amp levels to whatever the sound man tells you to, and be his best mate - even if he's an arse.

Maybe try to rehearse at a quieter level in preparation to see if you can still get your dynamics working with a lower max volume?

At the end of the day there's a minimum volume of a rock band with a live drummer, and if the venue can't cater for that, they have no business hosting a Battle of the Bands.

A PA and Soundman are provided yes. I have read numerous times about getting him in your good books and to be perfectly honest that makes a lot of sense. In fact performance wise it seems suicidal to NOT want him on your side.

I will suggest that quiet rehearsal as well.

Great advice given thanks mate.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11896

90dB???

that's dumb, http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

according to this you can do 8 hours a day, everyday at that level with no harm done

Most classical instruments can get past 100dB

• RolandRoland Frets: 8704
    Audience applause can blow 90dB
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    You lot could have bloody lied to me! :D
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10406
    Depends on the weighting, A weighting takes into account the way we hear (fletcher munson curve) C weighting on meters are more geared towards peaks so more easily  triggered on every snare hit and bass can be a prob

Distance is a big factor too, a snare drum can be a deafening 120dB a metre away but perfectly tolerable 15 metres away 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Danny1969 said:
    Depends on the weighting, A weighting takes into account the way we hear (fletcher munson curve) C weighting on meters are more geared towards peaks so more easily  triggered on every snare hit and bass can be a prob

Distance is a big factor too, a snare drum can be a deafening 120dB a metre away but perfectly tolerable 15 metres away 
    Never actually thought of that, it's all relative to the distance it's been measured from right?

MazzaG said:
    Danny1969 said:

Never actually thought of that, it's all relative to the distance it's been measured from right?

Yes .....also high frequencies lose their energy quicker in air then low frequencies .... so the further you get from the source of the noise the lower the volume and the more muffled it sounds
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    90db sounds more like a noise ordinance a certain distance from the venue. It's typically a totally arbitrary number with no practical real world value whatsoever, but if they want <90dB inside a room with live music they're either misinterpreting a rule or misinformed. Just be reasonable with their requests when you sound check, see how it goes. Either way put on your best show, and good luck!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72339
    I was once in an (admittedly quite posh) bar with one of those dB meter trip things on the wall above the stage… it was an acoustic band, so while we were setting up the PA I decided to have a laugh and see how loud my Lowden acoustic was unplugged (Lowd-en… never mind ;) ). I strummed an open G chord as hard as I could.

Three red bars. ie one notch below it shutting the power off. Oh. I think this is going to be a quiet gig :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited April 2014
    Who remembers the orange golf ball thingies that turned the stage power off once triggered?

The scourge of live venues and amplifiers (mainly valve) everywhere, bloody hateful they were.

The first time we encountered one our tame drummer (really!) setup and did a fairly inoffensive roll to test his snare and boom out went the lights, he wasn't even a heavy hitter being more technical in his approach.

I hope we never see their like again.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Man sound limiters are a nightmare - I've come across a few in my time including our first gig in our current band for a mates 40th Birthday party in front of 100 close friends - no pressure.

As soon as we walked in some great hippo of a woman came thundering across with a clipboard bellowing that if we played too loud all the power would go off and they would charge us for calling an electrician to reset the circuits.

OK we thought, we can live with this, its not a big venue, so we asked the hippo what the limnit was - she just barked not too loud. She said that the orange light on the ceiling would flash if we were getting too loud and would stay on before cutting everything off. We stared at this fecking light which was already on - as the caterers were clanking around underneath it. Not a good start to the gig.

To cut a long story short we spent the soundcheck staring at this stupid thing on the ceiling and it was on all the time. Played really softly in the first set which sounded cack for a rock band so in the first break we decided, as many bands do, to dig out the old extension lead and bypass the active circuit and let rip. Who was the one person giving it large on the dancefloor - the hippo with the clipboard who couldn't work out how we were managing to sound so good and not trip the meter!!

Mind you we did this at a later wedding gig and our moron bassplayer managed to unplug some bit of catering equipment which didn't go down too well.

And while I'm on it - music stands look stupid!!!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

There's been a few venue's over the years that where we haven't managed to bribe the manager leaving only 2 options. If you can get between the mic and the box, where it plugs in with a 3.5mm jack you can put an attenuater in line .... mine's just 2 resistors in a potential divider circuit and the outputs tapped off the middle meaning you can play a lot louder before it trips. 

The other sure fire way to bypass it is to run the band of a  big UPS, I have a huge 19" 3.2KW that can run the band and PA for about 35 mins. We've wheeled that in before but it weighs a ton! FOH has it's own smaller UPS as it's a digital desk, and you can't risk losing power with a digital desk even without a noise limiter
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • By a huge coincidence, we played our first gig with a sound limit in eons last week...As it happened, it was a hand held device to just monitor the level so they could gesticulate wildy at us when we went over it, rather than an actual "abrupt halt to proceedings" cut-off thingy.

BUT the limit was indeed 90dB.

And it was pretty damn quiet. Your drummer will be tippity-tapping, and your bassist can have the night off.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    I remember those orange balls that glow and then cut off the power.
    The first encounter had the drummer tapping cymbals as he set then on the stand, the power went off! Long extensions have been the order of the day ever since, kitchens and behind the bar are usually the exempt sockets.

Poor quality mics (with erratic frequency response) are a part of the problem, but poor implementation is also often at fault.

Danny1969 said:

There's been a few venue's over the years that where we haven't managed to bribe the manager leaving only 2 options. If you can get between the mic and the box, where it plugs in with a 3.5mm jack you can put an attenuater in line .... mine's just 2 resistors in a potential divider circuit and the outputs tapped off the middle meaning you can play a lot louder before it trips. 

The other sure fire way to bypass it is to run the band of a  big UPS, I have a huge 19" 3.2KW that can run the band and PA for about 35 mins. We've wheeled that in before but it weighs a ton! FOH has it's own smaller UPS as it's a digital desk, and you can't risk losing power with a digital desk even without a noise limiter

A bit more low tech is a sock or a condom over the microphone
    . Your drummer will be tippity-tapping, and your bassist can have the night off.

Result!!!!

• chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    Make sure the soundman has heard all of your sounds (clean, overdrive, lead whatever) during the soundcheck. No point just sound checking with your quiet sound then kicking it in and busting the limit.