All 5 positions....

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
edited June 2018 in Guitar

tell us about your favourite Strat switch positions and the ones you don't use

and who ( famous dudes) uses what position for great legendary Strat tones on record and live?

position 1 = switch closest to bridge

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14294
    tFB Trader
    looking at the OP heading I was hoping to learn something new and try it tonight
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Seriously I'm neck only most of the time, then 2 or 4 at times

Never use 3 and only the bridge on rare occassions
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28403
    When I had a strat (well, a G&L Legacy) I liked 3 best.

Then I put humbuckers in it and liked it more.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    All except Middle/Neck generally. On a ‘good’ Strat they all sound good - including the bridge.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15976
    Do peeps struggle with the bridge PUP and are most Strats shy of a tone control for the bridge?
    tae be or not tae be
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12395
    Use them all neck/middle for cleaner than clean type sound middle for 60s pop sounds, bridge/middle for lots, bridge for surf and neck for anything.
  • strat84strat84 Frets: 317
     I only used to use neck, neck/middle and middle/bridge.. I used to hate the middle and thought it was really unforgiving but I find it one of the best now. Great for funk or a bluesy ryhthm or lead, clean or overdriven.

Live, I think SRV used the neck pickup for Pride & Joy but the album version to my ears is mostly middle then switching to the neck right at the end. 

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Second position (neck/middle together) sounds nicest on mine for cleans. Not overawed by the bridge dirty sound atm though.
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    All except Middle/Neck generally. On a ‘good’ Strat they all sound good - including the bridge.
    I find that some Strats sound better than others in different positions. For example, I've got one Strat that sounds great on the bridge but a bit meh on the neck, while another sounds great in position 2 but the bridge pickup on its own is way too harsh.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    I’m going to throw a spanner in the works and say that I use all “9” positions on mine ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734

I have a 3 way, and mainly use the middle position (which for me is 2).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    strat84 said:
     I only used to use neck, neck/middle and middle/bridge.. I used to hate the middle and thought it was really unforgiving but I find it one of the best now. Great for funk or a bluesy ryhthm or lead, clean or overdriven.

Live, I think SRV used the neck pickup for Pride & Joy but the album version to my ears is mostly middle then switching to the neck right at the end. 

SRV would often change pickups mid lick (!).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24815
    Brize said:
    I find that some Strats sound better than others in different positions. For example, I've got one Strat that sounds great on the bridge but a bit meh on the neck, while another sounds great in position 2 but the bridge pickup on its own is way too harsh.
    I’ve found the same but the one I have now - and a vintage one I no longer own - sound/sounded genuinely brilliant in every position. 
    tFB Trader
    hootsmon said:
    Do peeps struggle with the bridge PUP and are most Strats shy of a tone control for the bridge?
    easy mod to wire the bridge pick-up to work on the tone pot with the middle p/up - Or move middle to work with neck tone control and the bridge has its own tone pot - Or Eric Johnson style with tone neck + tone bridge and no tone middle - various options

it is useful to have some tone pot on the bridge to soften any spikey highs

But on a good Strat, with good pots the vol pot provides so much expression - small tweaks on the vol pot dial subtle tonal variations ,especially on gain settings - So much so that it should be called an expression pot and not a volume pot
    thanks Guys  :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    My Strat switch has been wired differently.

1 - Bridge
    2 - Bridge and Neck in parallel
    3 - Neck
    4 - Neck and Middle in parallel
    5 - Middle

This puts my most used positions right next to each other and also gives me a new one which sounds excellent.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2473
    Even though I love the inbetween sounds..at gigs it tends to be middle pickup for funky, rhythm stuff, neck for bluesy breakdowns and bridge for powerchord/lead work.  
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1817
    jpfamps said:

SRV would often change pickups mid lick (!).
    Yngwie Malmsteen will often start a bend on the neck pickup and instantaneously switch to the bridge to really open it up
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    edited June 2018
    I use all of them, although the single-pickup positions work better for me than the in-between ones.

Some of my favourite player's sounds on the five positions are...

1 Ritchie Blackmore
    2 Mark Knopfler
    3 Lenny Kaye
    4 John Frusciante
    5 David Gilmour

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

^ RB on pos 1 yet he gets that warm Strat tone?
    tae be or not tae be