90s Patrick eggle neck shapes?

What's Hot
Hi guys, Trying to find some information on 90s berlin neck shapes and not having much luck.. does anyone have any info?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4521
    @RevMatt is the Eggle expert, I believe.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• RevMattRevMatt Frets: 835
    As a general principle people consistently praise Eggle necks for their comfort and playability. 

The problem,  when talking about them,  is that there is limited published spec,  and the necks changed during different periods even within the 90s. So it's hard to state exactly what a neck will be like. 

There are some general principles though:
    - the profile tends to be a c shape,  but can vary from skinny to a bit fatter
    - 24 fretters tend to be mahogany and 22 fretters maple (although pretty much all the bolt ons will be maple) 
    - most Berlin and Vienna fingerboards will be ebony, New Yorks and LAs can be maple,  rosewood, ebony depending on the variation
    - early 91/92 models may not have a volute and this indicates it may be hand carved, mid 92 onwards will have a volute 

Do you a specific example you're curious about? A model and year may enable a slightly more educated guess... 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    @RevMatt has far more experience of Eggles than me but I do own five 90's models - four Berlins and an LA. They all have slightly different neck shapes.

The '92 Pro V, the '95 Plus and the LA have very similarly shaped necks. Fairly slim C shapes, not too narrow and very comfortable. The '92 Deluxe has a slightly narrower,  more D shaped neck which is comfortable and fast but can be a bit tight for clean picking. The '96 Pro V has a chunkier neck than the others, C shape, not huge but more of a handful. Again, it's very comfortable and fast.

I heard that the early guitars had their necks shaped by Patrick and the shaping was based on an old Gibson SG that was his favourite neck. Not sure how true that is.
  • Thanks for the info guys , its greatly appreciated! . I was looking into the berlin pros from the early 90s because I heard they were great quality, seem quite versatile and I also like the idea of owning a guitar made in England too.
  • RevMattRevMatt Frets: 835
    Pop into the Patrick Eggle forum - there's lots of info and eye candy.... http://patrickeggleguitars.org/smf/index.php ;