I need a new web host

SporkySporky Frets: 28172
My current one has decided they're no longer going to allow email aliases. I have lots of aliases. They all redirect to my primary email. This means that if I need to register at www.buylotsofacestuff.com I can give them buylotsofacestuff@mydomain.com, and if they get hacked or sell my email I can shut it off easily.

So... I need somewhere that'll let me have email aliases, has POP3 or IMAP support and SMTP, and a moderate amount of web space that I can FTP into to chuck pictures into, and hotlink them back into forums and so on.

I don't think that's an unreasonable list. Ideally under £6 a month.

Suggestions most welcome.
"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    I moved to google mail a few months ago for our two businesses and it has been perfect.
    Hosting is by Dreamhost.

• SporkySporky Frets: 28172
    They don't seem to allow aliases other than ad-hoc style, which would mean re-registering everywhere.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Can wholeheartedly recommend TSO Host - https://www.tsohost.com (and the pricing page https://www.tsohost.com/wordpress-hosting).

I use them to host two sites. Very reasonable fees, and great service. They are constantly improving the back end/servers, and are wholly UK-based.
    They look like they have the features I need - thanks.

I will give them a shout today and check. 
    They've said they can do exactly what I'm after. Aces - thanks @fandango ;

I now have a really, really trivial HTML question. I think.

Is there an obvious way to have the site's main page (index.html if I remember correctly) just have a single image that auto-scales to the window's resolution without faff? I've not written any HTML in a decade or more, and I doubt that Visual Basic For Applications has the answer.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    One.com is really good. Have several site with them.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Sporky said:

Is there an obvious way to have the site's main page (index.html if I remember correctly) just have a single image that auto-scales to the window's resolution without faff? I've not written any HTML in a decade or more, and I doubt that Visual Basic For Applications has the answer.
    I think what you need is a vector image. That scales automatically without the need for additional coding. I think. Someone with HTML or XHTML experience should be able to shed far greater light.
    Doh!

The original is an SVG - I made a PNG out of it. I wonder if I've got the original still.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Sporky said:

Yes it's part of developing a "responsive" web design. You basically just need to set the image width (or height) to 100% and the other dimension to auto.
    More details here: https://www.w3schools.com/css/css_rwd_images.asp
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Ta!

In other news the current host has a "solution". All I have to do is, for each of the 386 aliases I currently have, make a new mailbox, and put a filter in that redirects from that mailbox to my main one. Probably only 5 minutes' work per alias, which works out to 4 days of 8 hours a day.

Oh, and I'll need to upgrade my hosting as the current package only allows 100 mailboxes.

And I'll need to go into all of those mailboxes regularly to clear out the emails as they won't auto-delete, so eventually they'll fill up and then the mail stops.

Technical genius there.
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    1and1 are decent. They have really good support which probably isn't that important for you but may be a factor to consider.
    Thanks all - I have signed up with One.com - the other suggestions looked good, but One.com had a really fast alias creation system and some other useful bits and bobs.

Also free for the first year, and hilariously cheap anyways.
    And now all is transferred. Aces. Thanks all .