flights and airline woes..

What's Hot
thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
sooo..

after a thoroughly unpleasent sit in Bristol Airport last nigh for 5.5 hours,   the airline (lets call them fleezybet to ensure annonomyity) cancelled our flight.  

I have travel insurance.
According to the rules I should also be in line to get compensation from  greasywet for their monumental sh*tness but they have a bit of a rep of  making claiming for compensation a pain in the backside.

so the question is should I just seek to go via my insurance company first off all or go through weezypet first or do both at the same time?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    They are 2 different things
    you claim both
    the EU legislation you can download a standard letter from WHICH website. It will take 3 months but they will pay you

travel insurance is a function of whether it’s worth claiming against your excess

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    definitely seek it from the airline, they deserve it. Recently had to seek compensation from Ryanair and even they paid up fairly quickly (refund within a few days and compensation within a month).

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    My wife got stranded in Spain by Easyjet last year. They paid up within a couple of weeks. You do need to watch out if it’s not their fault: if it was down to an air traffic strike for instance, in which case they can wriggle out of paying compensation. Otherwise it’s fairly simple to claim. Keep any receipts for food or accommodation etc you incurred, you can claim that all back too. 

DON’T use any of the compo companies that pop up when you google airline cancellations, they’ll charge you about half of what you’re due for a job that you can easily do yourself. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ColsCols Frets: 6999
    Genuinely out of curiosity, why would the insurance company pay out if the airline are liable for refund and compensation?
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    so i spoke to the insurance company and they only covers costs that the airline won't pay for.  so in my case zip.

but fleecywet did email me and say the delay was down to them so am getting the compensaiton.
    No, the insurance company has to pay out whatever the cover is that is documented in your insurance policy

comoensation is something completely different.  If you have cover with your insurance they have to pay it.  Just because they say you are not covered is what they normally do.  Dig out your policy, unless it says explicitly that they won’t pay if you get compensation elsewhere then you are entitled.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26993
    sev112 said:
    No, the insurance company has to pay out whatever the cover is that is documented in your insurance policy

comoensation is something completely different.  If you have cover with your insurance they have to pay it.  Just because they say you are not covered is what they normally do.  Dig out your policy, unless it says explicitly that they won’t pay if you get compensation elsewhere then you are entitled.  
    This. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2325
    well its with nationwide flex plus and  I don't think it is claimable:

https://www.nationwide.co.uk/-/media/MainSite/documents/products/current-accounts/flexplus/P3349_FlexPlus_Worldwide_Family_Travel_Insurance_Policy.pdf

What you are not covered for (exclusions)
    In addition to anything mentioned in the General Exclusions, we will not pay for claims which are a result of:
    1. You missing the check-in time as shown in your travel itinerary for any reason.
    2. A strike or any form of industrial action which had been announced or commenced before you became an account
    holder, purchased the travel tickets or obtained confirmation of booking, whichever came later.
    3. Expenses you can recover from elsewhere.
    4. Abandonment, where there is a delay of less than six hours when travelling for four nights or less or twelve hours
    when travelling for five nights or more.
    5. Travel delays that lead to a request for compensation payments. Only out of pocket expenses will be considered in
    these circumstances.
    6. Unused accommodation or travel costs including excursions, for claims under 1. Delay.
    If you miss your departure, please see Section 7C - Missed Departure and Section 7D – Missed Connections. 
    Claims settlement
    1. You must provide us with all documentation reasonably necessary in support of your claim. By saying reasonably
    necessary, we mean documents such as:
    a) A booking confirmation/invoice from the company you booked the journey with.
    b) Confirmation of the delay from your carrier.
    This list is not exhaustive and you may be asked to provide other types of documentation to substantiate your claim.
    2. No payment shall be made under more than one item of this section.
    3. We will deduct an excess of £50 for claims under 2. Abandonment. No excess applies under 1. Delay.
    4. You must seek recompense from the operator where you should be entitled to compensation (e.g. due to EU
    Passenger Rights). Any amount you can recover will be deducted from any claim we pay
    That’s an interesting new clause - I don’t have that in my insurance.  Perhaps now that the airlines are being forced to pay out, the insurance companies are taking it out of Policies now