NAD: Marshall content

What's Hot
samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
edited April 2014 in Amps
Picked up this baby from @Squirejapan tonight…great sounding amp, very warm and full. Cleans with a little bit of dirt are perfect and plays well with pedals.

Its a shame they made these for only 2 years, but i guess the pressures of the market back in the early 90's was nu-metal and twin channel distortion amps like mesa's so there was no room for a single channel MV amp…

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    I actually thought these were a really good concept - a single-channel amp with switchable master volume, so you get the best of both worlds... clean to dirt with the guitar volume, but with the ability to boost the level independently, which otherwise you can't get.

They did make them for longer in a way - they were replaced by the SL-X version, which is the same thing but with a bit more gain and all-valve distortion. (This one uses diode clipping.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I really liked the sl-x but not sure I tried this one! I thought all the others were two channel...

Enjoy the new amp!
  • ElectroDanElectroDan Frets: 554

I love the switchable master on my Hughes & Kettner Duotone. I'm surprised they are not more widely used.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    @ICBM, yeah the SL-X was a continuation, but the gain as you mention was really over the top...but even SL-X wasnt made for that long before they switched over to the dual channel. But something weird happened when they started doing the dual channel, the overall sound of the amps changed...in my opinion for the worse.

@ThePrettyDamned, i havent tried the SL-X, so cant say, but this sounds very similar to a friends JCM800 2203. I played that a while ago, so could be wrong, but i do remember how i felt about the 800 when i played it, and i got the same feeling last night!

In the 30mins that i could play it last night, it took me about 5mins before i had tweaked the knobs to where it sounded perfect...i love the simplicity of it.
  • The SL-X did have a LOT of gain on tap, and if I'm honest, I preferred the sound of the Laney GH50/100 series (actually, I do to all Marshall amps).  BUT they don't have the switchable volume, which is an amazing boon.  

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the one you have, I suspect we have pretty similar taste in sounds ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    samzadgan said:
    @ICBM, yeah the SL-X was a continuation, but the gain as you mention was really over the top...but even SL-X wasnt made for that long before they switched over to the dual channel. But something weird happened when they started doing the dual channel, the overall sound of the amps changed...in my opinion for the worse.
    The Dual Reverb models were made concurrently with the High-Gain MV, from the very start. The only switch was from the HGMV to the SL-X.

The Dual Reverb models are essentially hybrids - not just diode clipping, but full solid-state gain and distortion stages, much like having a couple of pedals built into the front of a valve amp… which is neither good or bad in itself, but does sound different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited April 2014
    ah ok...that makes sense why the overall sound did change.

thank you for the education
    I'll have to keep my eyes open for the one you have, I suspect we have pretty similar taste in sounds ;)
    yes...i get the same feeling!
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    ThePrettyDamned;200904" said:

There's a jcm900 in the classifieds that was listed a couple of days ago
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The SL-X did have a LOT of gain on tap, and if I'm honest, I preferred the sound of the Laney GH50/100 series (actually, I do to all Marshall amps).  BUT they don't have the switchable volume, which is an amazing boon.  

@ThePrettyDamned

i did a quick demo of the Marshall with my distortion pedal...this might give you an idea of what it can do...

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24270
    I love the SLX. I will have one, one day.