UK custom guitars?

What's Hot

Comments

• clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Be realistic is my first thought.

You'll never sell this guitar, for obvious reasons.  Only time will tell if you play it for the rest of your life or if it ends up as a pretty adornment on the wall of your man cave.

My own opinion is, tastes change.

So, my thinking is, do some research, show your Mum photos of the say 5 guitars you like, ask her which she likes the look of, give her some input, work from there.

It's a gift from your Mum, that's more precious than ordinary stuff like UK v China, etc, etc :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HeldByWireHeldByWire Frets: 7
    edited June 2018
    Thanks for all the input. I guess if I wasn't to go custom, my next 'want' would just be a really nice Les Paul. Out of all the guitars in my life that I've owned / played Les Pauls just feel right both in terms of playability and tone.

I could try to talk her round to something second hand, I guess I'd end up with a lot more guitar for my (her!) money that way.

I also totally appreciate that this is a lucky prediciment to be in, and it's certainly not a guitar that will ever be sold. The custom idea just seemed like a good one, but if it's not a good idea then I'm certainly open to other suggestions
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950
    How about a Jaydee SG?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blobb said:
    How about a Jaydee SG?
    I'm really not a fan of SGs.

• You could do alot worse than getting one of the used Gibson R8's or R9's that're listed here. If not that, then a used LP Custom would do - certainly there are nuances to each but you can close your eyes, throw a dart, and you'll find a player who loves them beyond all measure.

If it were me, I'd consider a Navigator N-LP-STD (paging @brooom )! I did and IMO better quality than the R8's I've played and nothing near the price.
  • You could do alot worse than getting one of the used Gibson R8's or R9's that're listed here. If not that, then a used LP Custom would do - certainly there are nuances to each but you can close your eyes, throw a dart, and you'll find a player who loves them beyond all measure.

If it were me, I'd consider a Navigator N-LP-STD (paging @brooom )! I did and IMO better quality than the R8's I've played and nothing near the price.
    Well as much as I've always lusted after a 'proper' Gibson, I'm not adverse to another name on the headstock. 

Buying used (and therefore unplayed) does concern me a bit if it comes to that. But it seems that the classifieds on here look to be full of pretty genuine sellers.
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    A bit of an alternative thought - how about going on a Guitar Building Course and making a guitar for yourself. I, and @TTony , can recommend the Build Your Own Guitar Courses that Mark Bailey runs. I've built 3 Guitars under his guidance, and they've all turned out really well. There's nothing quite like playing a good guitar that you've made yourself.
  • redrighthandredrighthand Frets: 746
    Hey @HeldByWire welcome to the forum!

That’s a nice predicament to have.

If you’ve not been playing for long, I’d suggest taking some time to play as many different guitars as you can. There are so many variables, I’d want to be sure about what I wanted before having my ideal guitar made.  There are the more obvious things like shape, style, finish, pickups, tuners. Then there are the less obvious but (for some people) just as important things like neck shape, nut width, fret wire size, weight, bridge, etc, etc.

You can try guitars out by spending some time in your local guitar shop, borrowing friends guitars or attending a forum get together for example. Better still if you have some spare cash and some patience you could buy a few second hand guitars on the classifieds here and try some out in the luxury of your own home. If you buy wisely you can resell for what you paid, or thereabouts, and you don’t need to put up with a music shop staff member looking over your shoulder!

Keep us all posted!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    Gordon Smith? They’ve changed ownership now but they used to be well regarded.

Look here:

http://www.gordonsmithguitars.com/shop/guitars/gs-deluxe/

You could spec a bound mahogany  body and neck, with a flame maple laminate top, nickel hardware and full gloss finish for ~ £1300.

The colour, neck profile (thick or thin) and hardware can all be customised as well.

Looks a good option and would keep you well within budget. It might not be an exceptional guitar but you can have a fair bit of input into it for the price. Their previous reputation was a workhorse rather than luxury. 

Good luck whatever you decide.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5852
    If Feline is a bit North of your budget, then how about Eastman Guitars.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/?brand_0=eastman-guitars

Of course, you could always get a Gibson off the shelf, but I thought you might have wanted something a little more Niche!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • If Feline is a bit North of your budget, then how about Eastman Guitars.

http://www.peachguitars.com/guitars/electric-guitars/solid-body/?brand_0=eastman-guitars

Good shout. I'd love to try an Eastman, they look great! 

Another alternative in your budget might be a single cut PRS 2nd hand? Les Paul-esque but with the extra versatility of having a trem if you ever needed it.

You haven't told us where you are @HeldByWire - if we knew where you were I'm sure people on here could recommend some good local dealers where you could go and spend a day playing and getting a feel for what it is you really want.  :)
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    A bit of an alternative thought - how about going on a Guitar Building Course and making a guitar for yourself. I, and @TTony , can recommend the Build Your Own Guitar Courses that Mark Bailey runs. I've built 3 Guitars under his guidance, and they've all turned out really well. There's nothing quite like playing a good guitar that you've made yourself.
    As i was reading the posts, this is exactly what i was going to suggest. Budget ok, and given the nature of the gift, building it yourself would only add to its attachment.
    I have built both a 2 humbucker electric and a dreadnought acoustic at Baileys and cant say enough about Mark, Carol and Billy up there.
    If you are near Stirling, you are welcome to have a shot at my efforts!

Adam
  • Thanks for all the replies folks.

To adress a a few points without using a million post quotes...

As far as knowing what type of guitar I want, I have played many different guitars in my life ( badly) and I know that a Les Paul out of all of them is definitely a fit sound and feel wise. I'm not saying I'd never play a Strat etc but it's not what Im after. A Les Paul will certainly cater to my tastes.

I'm not adverse to trying other guitars though (my father in law is bringing down his PRS SE singlecut for me to try next week).

It's just about getting the most bang for my buck really as this guitar won't be being sold, and is something I intend to have for the rest of my days. And as I said as much as I'd love something that says Gibson on the headstock, I also want to make sure I'm getting the best guitar I can possibly get for the price point.

Building one doesn't appeal purely for the fact that I'm really not good at that sort of thing and it's not something I think I'd enjoy.

I'm based in Northern Ireland which limits me somewhat as to places to try instruments.

I have noticed a lot of praise for Japanese copies (Tokai, FGN etc) esp quality wise compared to Gibson. Is this an area with exploring?
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    Second hand R8s go for around that and would be a very good option. 
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5467
    @FelineGuitars is definitely the go-to forum guy for LP style guitars.
    The important question is: what do you want from this 'once in a lifetime' guitar? What's your spec? Do you have a special finish in mind?
    Give us your wish list and if someone knows what fills the bill new or used then that may very well be your guitar.
    If you want something truly bespoke then is it possible to chip in with your mum for that 'one' guitar which you take to Feline given that you said "
    This is probably the only point in my life where I'll get a chance for a really good guitar".
    Just trying to open up your options for you.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2950

I have noticed a lot of praise for Japanese copies (Tokai, FGN etc) esp quality wise compared to Gibson. Is this an area with exploring?
    It does indeed, but do your research. It's a collectors market but the top of the range MIJ Les Pauls are really good. For some eye candy take a look here:

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%202%20Orville%20By%20Gibson.html

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2197
    johnl said:
    Second hand R8s go for around that and would be a very good option. 
    That's what I would look at (or a R7 / R6) if you're dead set on a les paul. Nothing else is quite the same. 
  • DiscoStu said:
    @FelineGuitars is definitely the go-to forum guy for LP style guitars.
    The important question is: what do you want from this 'once in a lifetime' guitar? What's your spec? Do you have a special finish in mind?
    Give us your wish list and if someone knows what fills the bill new or used then that may very well be your guitar.
    If you want something truly bespoke then is it possible to chip in with your mum for that 'one' guitar which you take to Feline given that you said "This is probably the only point in my life where I'll get a chance for a really good guitar".
    Just trying to open up your options for you.
    Pitching in really isn't an option. I'm pretty much skint most of the time (5 kids!) so this is why it's such a once in a lifetime guitar and why I'm trying to establish what the best course of action is! 

As far as a wish list, all I'm after is a decent guitar that will allow me to develop and also handle the sort of stuff that I play (metal/rock/ blues). I'm only ever going to be a home player, but I am passionate about developing and getting as good as I can.

I know I like a neck that's not too thin and not too thick (vague much!). The least favourite necks ive ever played were Ibanez Wizards and a Fender Mustang. I don't mind a weighty guitar, and upper fret access etc isn't really and issue for how I play. 

Sound wise? I love the thickness and creaminess of a Les Paul. Strats etc have their place, but there's something about the Les Paul that stands out to me (I know there's much more of a spectrum than that though). I'll be playing straight into a little valve amp (currently using a Blackstar HTR-1 but I plan to sell it and my Epiphone to get a slighter better but still small amp) no effects etc so I want a pure tone that I like from the guitar.

I'm not 100% dead set on it being a Les Paul, it's just that any time I watch anything on YouTube (and I know this isn't an ideal way to judge guitars) or  have played any other guitar, they never quite have the same sound as a Les Paul. If I could get that sound out of another guitar I'd certainly consider whatever it was. As I said obviously Gibson is 'The Brand' for a Les Paul but I don't care what it says on the headstock or what shape it is, as long as it's a good guitar.

Finish wise? A nice burst. Nothing too crazy but not a VOS, something tobacco or honey appeals, but again I'm not set on one thing or another. I like maple tops, I like being able to see the wood grain, not so keen on solid colours.

This is still a good few months ( lol actually about 10) away but I want to do all my research and asking now so I'm not rushing into anything.

Also I gotta say thanks for all the input so far. This seems like a really friendly place :)

• BigsbyBigsby Frets: 2934
    I'd also echo the suggestion to look at Gordon Smith - several of their models are available in single cut 'LP' versions. There are plenty of dealers around, and you can arrange to visit GS too, if you're local, so you'll be able to try a few models out, and decide which neck profile, etc., you prefer. You might even find a keeper for sale. Otherwise, you can have one built to order for a pretty reasonable price, and have it spec'd as you'd like it. I believe build time is about four months.

Graduate:

GS Deluxe:

I'm sure they're not in the same league as Feline, but they're also quite affordable, with the most basic models starting at about £600, and the Graduates starting at just under a grand. Not bad for made to order & UK built. Quality is said to be high now that Auden have taken over production, but I've yet to get my hands on one.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bigsby said:
    I'd also echo the suggestion to look at Gordon Smith - several of their models are available in single cut 'LP' versions. There are plenty of dealers around, and you can arrange to visit GS too, if you're local, so you'll be able to try a few models out, and decide which neck profile, etc., you prefer. You might even find a keeper for sale. Otherwise, you can have one built to order for a pretty reasonable price, and have it spec'd as you'd like it. I believe build time is about four months.

Graduate:

GS Deluxe:

I'm sure they're not in the same league as Feline, but they're also quite affordable, with the most basic models starting at about £600, and the Graduates starting at just under a grand. Not bad for made to order & UK built. Quality is said to be high now that Auden have taken over production, but I've yet to get my hands on one.

Wow!

I've just had a look at their site and they could be exactly what I'm looking for. Obviously I'd need to do a bit of research, but the prices and style seems to fit. 

Are they well known with a good reputation?

I'm thinking if I could spend a little less on the guitar I could out a little more towards a better amp too.