cure for GAS

midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
just returned from watching a few old boys jamming in a pub, playing a tele,  some bass and a cahon, what caught my eye was the tele was playing through one of those little red pods straight into the pa, the bass was in a small behringer amp and the cahon was miced into the pa, the pa was an old battered thing but the tones of these guys was amazing, especialy the tele player.  Not saying this setup would work with a band with drummer but was refreshing to see and hear  such a full sound from basic kit and no guitar amps.....ps not gonna get rid of my amps but made me think.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Particularly for clean sounds, those pods are not all that bad. Plenty of dialling room for effects like reverb, delay and modulation, too.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

I still love my old V2 POD - they are dirt cheap so don't hurt the old GAS account that much.

The JCM 800 and Treadplate (Recto) are fantastic but my fave thing by far is the in-built FX algorithms. The delay in particular sounds perfect through a steroe PA.

• RolandRoland Frets: 8741
    Last time I saw Barclay James Harvest John Lees was using a Pod direct to PA.  Things have moved on since then, but the Axe-FX has certainly killed my amp and effects GAS.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • David5150David5150 Frets: 118

Same here with my Kemper.

The POD is still in the bag for backup though

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    Roland said:
    Last time I saw Barclay James Harvest John Lees was using a Pod direct to PA.
    I bet he didn't sound as good as with that fantastic transistor fuzz tone he used through the 70s though :).

The solo from The World Goes On, for example. You just don't seem to hear great sounds like that any more :(.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    There is no cure....
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I've not had a GAS attack since August last year, fell to the allure just yesterday.

Has Pedal PSU on the way. Does that count or am I let off with just a minor incident report?  

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    I used to gig with just the kidney bean v2 with the 4 button switch and a strat and whatever PA/house amp was available. 

It sounded pretty good to the audience. All I missed were the dynamics which are quite lacking on those.