Gibson branded strings?

What's Hot
zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
Has anyone tried the Gibson branded strings that are available? I've given Ernie Ball and D'addario a go and was just wondering what the Gibsons have to offer at the same price point, if not cheaper than the others? There seems to be two different versions (vintage reissue and Brite wires), is there a preference between the two? Please share your experiences of these strings as it will be most helpful, thank you.
Tomorrow will be a good day.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Don't do it. They are terrible
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Never tried them, not brand loyal and so tend not to use guitar makers brands for strings.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• FezFez Frets: 522
    I have a pack I was given but not tried them yet.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    @meltedbuzzbox  If you don't mind me asking, what is it that makes them terrible? Was it the feel, sound or longevity of the strings?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sw67sw67 Frets: 231
    I use britewires on my gibsons - i like them and i keep them on for months at a time. I felt my gibsons were a bit muddy with my previous strings ( D'addario ). I seem to be tuning a lot less now as well
    zepp76 said:
    @meltedbuzzbox  If you don't mind me asking, what is it that makes them terrible? Was it the feel, sound or longevity of the strings?
    Litterally all those points. 
    They don't sound right, almost harsh and brittle, they don't last long at all, I would say a few hours. I can have a set of daddario standards last week's usually. 

It might just be my luck with them but I know a lot of players that feel the same. 

I generally stick to daddario as they are so consistent and last a fair while. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    zepp76 said:
    They don't sound right, almost harsh and brittle, they don't last long at all, I would say a few hours. I can have a set of daddario standards last week's usually. 

It might just be my luck with them but I know a lot of players that feel the same. 

Thank you for your input, very helpful. It's a veritable mine field trying to choose strings, e.g Paradigm, cobalt, stainless steel, nickel, and on and on it goes! Just looking through the pages of Strings direct has me completely baffled! I think I'll stick to what I know instead of experimenting.
    I played Ernie balls for years and then one day the shop didn't have my gauge so I tried daddario. I haven't looked back since. 
    I've tried cobalts, rotos and a lot of others but daddario are the winner for me. 

There are some cheap strings on thomann, they might be called pyramids? (Someone that knows please correct me). 
    A fair few guys on here used to play them happily enough
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I use Britewires sometimes. I think they're not bad. Cheap, too. Best thing is to try a pack and decide. (I also use Fender and D'Addario strings)
  • mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    Funnily enough I gave fender branded a go on my 335 copy cos they were cheap and went from breaking a string every gig to two to them lasting about 6 outings....  Thought it was a fluke but has stayed like that for 5 packets.

Gonna go back to a diff make and see if still break as quickly.

No grumbles about sound, seen grand on a 335
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Must disagree as I've used Gibson Britewires 10s for years on all my Gibsons with never a problem.  I buy them in the 5 set packs.  Daddario are good too, I wouldn't say there is a quality difference.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    I agree that the britewires are fine imo.  When I’ve used them they sounded ok, stayed in tune and lasted ok.   I tend to use Diaddario but as much out of habit as anything and knowing what to order in bulk. 
  • valevale Frets: 1052
    edited June 2018
    sorry wrong video clip. will try to find one i meant.

hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I bought a couple of sets years ago. I found they didn't last as long as my D'Ads. Even at the cheaper price, I didn't think they were worth it
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    zepp76 said:u
    zepp76 said:

Thank you for your input, very helpful. It's a veritable mine field trying to choose strings, e.g Paradigm, cobalt, stainless steel, nickel, and on and on it goes! Just looking through the pages of Strings direct has me completely baffled! I think I'll stick to what I know instead of experimenting.
    I recommend the experimentation. Ime some brands and gauges suit certain guitars better and it's worth finding that way fit for each guitar. Unless you are a flipper and only keep a guitar 6 months at best.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I am surprised by all these ringing endorsements for Brite Wires because when I recommended them on here I was subjected to a barrage of vitriol.

I switched to Brite Wires when Slinkys' quality began to vary alarmingly.

Gibson Brite Wires highly recommended (dons flameproof suit).
    ESBlonde said:
    zepp76 said:u
    zepp76 said:

I recommend the experimentation. Ime some brands and gauges suit certain guitars better and it's worth finding that way fit for each guitar. Unless you are a flipper and only keep a guitar 6 months at best.
    I definitely won't be flipping this guitar as it's my everyday player, my keeper in other words. I've spent a fair amount on upgrades for it so guess it would be daft to scrimp on strings.  The Gibson Vintage Reissues have me intrigued, has anyone tried them? If so could you please give your honest opinion, thank you.
    Just try them fella. I know, personally speaking, if I am curious about trying something on the guitar I always end up buying it. You might as well cut out the agony, especially on something cheap like strings
    Just try them fella. I know, personally speaking, if I am curious about trying something on the guitar I always end up buying it. You might as well cut out the agony, especially on something cheap like strings
    You're right, I should stop arsing about and just order a few sets of different strings. Thank you for the kick up the arse!
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4173
    I have 4 packs of Britewire 9s in my string stash. Next time one of my gitboxes needs a string change I'll put a set on and report back.