Anyone used the new blackstar 10th anniversary models

What's Hot
daviesjdaviesj Frets: 26
Hi,

Anyone tried out the new anniversary models from Blackstar. They look to be just what I am after. I mainly play at home but sometimes also out with friends. I Like the look of the emulated output but also that I could crank it when needed.

anyone tried them or any other suggestions? 

Ps I want something with an effects loop and dirt box friendly! 

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1633

No one was more surprised than I when I saw Blackstar had produced a range of single ended amplifiers. You really must try one to be sure you like it (Distance Trading Regulations?) because I do  not think the amps are a 'pure valve' signal path . I know that they are not claiming that but the styling and name is of the "Artisan" range and they ARE all valve.  I could be wrong but I cannot see how they can interface a digital reverb (which has always had a good rep) without chips. The FX loop is surely op amps but that is pretty universal these days.

Of course, I wish the range well. Cannot recall if ICBM has commented on the speaker choice?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4168
    ecc83 said:
    I could be wrong but I cannot see how they can interface a digital reverb (which has always had a good rep) without chips. The FX loop is surely op amps but that is pretty universal these days.
    @ecc83  - interesting post.  I highlighted this bit from it, because I’m curious to know whether valve buffering for the effects loop makes a whole load of difference to the sound?

Having come from Marshalls (JCM900, TSL2000) Both of which (I think) clip diodes for drive, I moved to a Mesa which is pure valve.  ‘Ooh goody’ I thought, before promptly sticking a digital reverb in the loop and ruining the party.  The amp still sounds fantastic to me.

I like Blackstars.  I think some of the products get too much stick for not using a pure valve signal path - what the hell does anyone expect for a few hundred quid new?
  • dawbdawb Frets: 1
    I have the Artisan 10th Anniv and really like it - good output, mainly blues and classic rock tones with a reasonable clean souns and the reverb is good