Roobi was most unwell but is getting better

What's Hot
Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
edited June 2018 in Off Topic
She's an 18 yo cat, last year she received a diagnosis of stage 2 kidney failure.

yesterday she ate nothing. she's lost a lot of weight and is looking thin. today I gave her a pilchard and she ate 1/4 of it before turning away, staggering across the kitchen floor and collapsing. I rang the vet and received an invite to take her over. She perked up on the way, enough to have a go at the vet while we were there. I brought her home again, with instructions to keep an eye on her. Apparently her heart is OK, Mrs Vet thinks she's had a small stroke and could well have more but we don't know whether that will be in 1 day, 2 days, a week, 2 weeks, etc. She's even been strong enough to climb the stairs, but this morning she couldn't climb onto my bed.

Here she is in happier, younger days

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4915
    Sorry to read this, Phil, I know she means the world to you.  Sending you both best wishes for a happy outcome.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24802
    Oooh - love cats - very sorry to hear this....
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Sad sad times when pets get old. 
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Thanks chaps. I have made a place for her to sleep downstairs which she is now occupying peacefully with "Relaxing music for cats" on the stereo.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5369
    Sincere sympathies - pets give such a lot, but don't half tear you up at the back end of the deal :/
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10268

Sorry to hear this Phil,from a fellow cat lover.

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Sorry to hear that, been through something similar twice in the last year so can sympathise. 

If it’s any consolation ours lasted years after a diagnosis of kidney failure and my Mum’s got over a stroke and went on for another couple of years. 

Good of luck to you and Roobi. 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Sorry to hear this, it's terrible when your pets are ill.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2399
    Sorry to hear this mate - as someone who's been through this fairly recently, I completely sympathise with you. All I can say is to spoil her rotten and give her loads of love, which I'm sure you're doing anyway.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    Sorry to hear. A couple of my Mum's went for years with some degree of kidney failure so it's not necessarily the end. 

Bit sending good vibes, whatever happens :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Thank you all.

Roobi has had a quiet night. She's drunk plenty of water and had another 1/4 of the pilchard. Her manner is much subdued but I bet she'd still have a go at a vet. For now she doesn't appear to be in any serious distress, so I'm going to leave her be and go to work today.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12363
    All the best to Roobi and hope she continues to recover. Our two have done absolutely nothing in this hot weather apart from sleep, could be the heat’s affecting your one too Phil? If she’s eating and drinking, that’s a good sign whatever. 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    Sorry to hear Roobi is unwell, Phil.  Hopefully she continues to recover.

The heat is probably contributing to her lethargy - my two have spent the last few days just sleeping in the window only getting up to eat, drink or trip me up. 
  • Hope Roobi gets well soon.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33794
    Get well Roobi.
    Your best wishes are (a) much appreciated (b) having the right effect.

I left her sitting on the comfy place I made for her. When I got home this evening she was UPSTAIRS in her usual place on the settee, and when I suggested she have some salmon she followed me downstairs. She ate everything I gave her (which wasn't a lot, so that if she left any there wouldn't be a load of dried out wasted food). Then she went for a wee, came back to the kitchen and hassled for some more food. So I gave it her, and she's working on it now.

She's never going to be as right as before, but she's so much better.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Glad to hear that Roobi seems to be feeling better @Phil_aka_Pip, hassling for more food is much more normal behaviour.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • paganskinspaganskins Frets: 276
    Yeah, very pleased to hear that @Phil_aka_pip :)
  • great news
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4915
     :)