Sourcing an anodised CIJ Jazzmaster pickguard

TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
edited June 2018 in Guitar
Wondered if anyone had had any luck sourcing an anodised guard for a cij jazzmaster or if we had anyone on here capable of making one at a reasonable price?

I’ve had a quote from Jack’s instrument services and have heard good things about him, but it’ll be £85. It would be £100+ for an allparts japan one, but only £25-30 from eBay if I had a USA jazzmaster -surely there is somewhere out there that is comparable to this? Cheers for your help guys.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    Use the USA one and make a few more holes?

Or you could vinyl wrap/Paint? Might be a bit fiddly
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3230
    Use the USA one and make a few more holes?

Or you could vinyl wrap/Paint? Might be a bit fiddly
    I gather the USA one doesn’t line up with the post holes? No concerns about drilling scratch plate holes but if it’s more of a ‘structural’ issue (bridge placement etc) then seems it may not work? Have you tried this yourself (because knowing someone else has managed it is often all it will take)? :)
    The bridge posts will be fine and several of the screw holes will be as well. I think its near the pickup selector switch and somewhere near the rhythm section controls it goes a bit off. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    The bridge posts will be fine and several of the screw holes will be as well. I think its near the pickup selector switch and somewhere near the rhythm section controls it goes a bit off. 
    Cheers @meltedbuzzbox when you say ‘goes off’ do you mean vastly off in relation to what’s underneath or just screw holes? If it’s just screw holes with any additional ones being hidden under the guard I’ll take a punt on a USA one.
    edited June 2018
    the alignment goes off/doesn't match the USA version.

I will see if I can find the diagram

All holes will be hidden
    just to check fella, you have a traditional bridge on your guitar?
    or traditional bridge posts at least?
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    @meltedbuzzbox ; I think this is what you're looking for MIJ/CIJ laid on top of AVRI 

https://i.imgur.com/9ujYRIR.jpg
    MtB said:
    @meltedbuzzbox ; I think this is what you're looking for MIJ/CIJ laid on top of AVRI 

that works pretty well. Somewhere in the depths of OSG someone did an outline/autocad-esque diagram over laid on top of each other. I cant find it though

Generally the loose interpretation is the mij Guard screw holes are like a shruken USA celluloid guard. Some line up better than others.  
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    edited June 2018
    This is the AVRI guard dimensions. See the shape difference (taper) at the left hand bridge post -by comparison to the MIJ/CIJ

https://i.imgur.com/r6n4DFN.png ;
    MtB said:

that works pretty well. Somewhere in the depths of OSG someone did an outline/autocad-esque diagram over laid on top of each other. I cant find it though

Generally the loose interpretation is the mij Guard screw holes are like a shruken USA celluloid guard. Some line up better than others.  
    Thanks for that gents and yes it’s the original posts. I don’t mind adjusting those bridge post holes slightly with a file/dremel if the rest works -which according to that image is better than I expected. 
    some dont need it at all. Its luck of the draw. 
    some dont need it at all. Its luck of the draw. 
    Fingers crossed then. Thanks for the advice.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    Is there a similar/same problem when fitting an American pickguard to a Mexican Jazzmaster? I'm planning on doing a few mods to my Mexican JM and I hadn't even considered the different fits.
    I think the MIM ones are USA sized. 

assuming it has traditional posts?
    @Simon_M the guy on eBay was out of stock of the lighter gold colour so just ordered one off reverb from a Chinese seller who has what is a supposedly ‘62 guard. 2-3 weeks for delivery but only £30 so will report back on how it matches.
  • Simon_MSimon_M Frets: 542
    2-3 weeks for delivery but only £30 so will report back on how it matches.
    Nice one, thanks!
    Simon_M said:
    2-3 weeks for delivery but only £30 so will report back on how it matches.
    Nice one, thanks!
    Well that’s arrived in a week and though I’ve had to make a few tweaks (it’s going on a CIJ after all) it’s a pretty reasonable guard for the money. Definitely worth a punt  I’d say:
    https://applink.reverb.com/item/11883273-62-jazzmaster-pickguard-metal-aluminum-gold-anodized-fits-usa-fender