Novice Guitar Build- LP Shape kit from Thomann

What's Hot
Hi everyone,

I'm Jack and I've just started playing guitar again having not touched one for about 10 years. In addition to this i decided that I'd like to build one for myself as well, mainly as i really like stained finishes and building one might put me off spending far to much money on a PRS.

Day to day i'm a timber machinist/joiner so the woodwork element should be pretty straightforward, its everything else that i think will cause issues.To help with this i decided to get the LP kit from Thomann to teach me a bit about how guitars go together. Planning on veneering the top and bottom, probably in masur birch, and then ink staining it green or turquoise. Then put some new pickups in it.

Assuming this goes well i'm then going to try building a tele from scratch, although i might buy a neck to copy.

Pictures to follow
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Sounds like you have the skills to make a cheap kit look ten times more expensive. I'll be watching with interest. Good luck with it.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Interesting - looking forward to updates...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Jackss565Jackss565 Frets: 8
    So the kit has arrived and so far so good. The neck fits nice and snug, body blank is 2 pieces of reasonable timber, neck feels quite good.

Obviously all the hardware/ pickups are cheap and nasty but I think i’ll Get it built using these and these parts unless there is any reason I shouldn’t?

Picture of the kit will be uploaded as soon as imgur decides to work
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    Nothing wrong with a cheap kit!!!!
    this was a “diy kit”... hardware, pups and pots etc were changed tho’

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom