Please recommend a compact but great sounding 2x12 cab

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
im after another 2x12 .
i was gonna go for an orange , but they’re quite a size compared to some 2x12’s.
i know bigger is sometimes better with cabs , but I wondered what people thought was a good compromise between sound and size cab wise and what was worth looking out for ?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10709
    edited July 2018
    Following this question I’d also like to hear views on 4x10 and diagonal 2x12 options. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4174
    Victory make some decent sounding and sized 2x12s. I have one of their 2x12s which was closed back with two Celestion V30s. It's now an open back with one Celestion Creamback and one Celestion V30 after my slight modification. ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    The Matrix NL212 is very light, very compact and very good sounding. It’s available in neo Creamback or neo V30’alike variants.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3673
    If you're looking for compact, go for one that can do vertical as well as horizontal. I have a really lightweight DV Mark 2x12 which I almost always use vertically. It has the same footprint as a 1x12 but doesn't need lifting off the floor for me to hear it properly.

It also weighs less than most 1x12 heads because of the neodymium speakers.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72510
    viz said:
    Following this question I’d also like to hear views on 4x10 and diagonal 2x12 options. 
    Marshall 2061C - diagonal 2x12". A really great cab, quite compact and not heavy. The stock speakers are G12H-30s, but I think they sound better with the top one replaced with a Greenback, or both replaced with Creamback G12M-65 and G12H-75, depending on how much power you need it to take.

The guitarist in my band uses exactly the latter with an Orange Rocker 30 and it sounds fantastic. The cab is actually not a lot wider than the head, in fact.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mesa recto 212 or GTFO
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited July 2018
    A bandmate has just bought one of those Montage cabs from Lean Business with two Celestion Neo Creambacks. It sounds great and it's very light. Also worth noting that, if you buy the cab and speakers together, they install the speakers and wire it up for you.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    edited July 2018
    Zilla will make anything you want.

2x12 https://imgur.com/a/jEcxgZe

Mines a 2x12 with the speakers horizontal.

I think it's 610x600.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1659
    I have a Marshall 1966b 2x12 diagonal loaded with g12t-75 that I need to shift.. (I'm keeping the 1966a)

They are solid yet easy to carry.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• nick79nick79 Frets: 254
    I would go with Zilla. Or see if you can find a Recto cab cheap enough (might be difficult though).
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    Custom Audio Amplifiers 2x12 cabs are the best imho. Small with a huge sound. I use 2 of them to gig with. Easy to lug around too.