Life in 12 bars - Again, apologies.

What's Hot
SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Saw this on iPlayer yesterday and if you haven't seen it then do so, regardless of if you like the music or not it is an amazing story.

I never knew what he had experienced, and the speed in which he did it(the first 10 years must have been a blur!)

One of the best documentaries I've seen I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
    Similarly, Live at the 12 Bar by Bert Jansch is also rather good
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuckManualChuckManual Frets: 692
    My normal Sunday afternoons, "Spent In 12 Bars", is also rather good.
    Not much of the gear, even less idea.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Missed it on Saturday with work, glad it's on iPlayer so I can get it watched tomorrow when I'm off. Looking forward to it!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I watched Clapton at the BBC last night on BBC4 ( presumably on iPlayer). It's a few years old and covers his story and, annoyingly, relatively little of his music. If someone wanted to know what's supposed to be so great about him it wouldn't answer the question. I might watch 12 Bars but my feeling is it'll be much the same and I'd be better off with a live video or two. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Fergus sings the blues, in bars of 12 or less. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    If someone wanted to know what's supposed to be so great about him, it wouldn't answer the question.
    Fair assessment.

I suggest that, for a brief period, Clapton was innovative insomuchas he was one of the very first recording artistes to plug a Gibson Les Paul Standard into a cranked Marshall amplifier. He had studied American electric Blues sufficiently to convince audiences unfamiliar with the genre that he had some authenticity. 

In my opinion, Clapton's less studious immediate contemporaries, in failing to clone Albert King and Buddy Guy, arrived at their own styles. Obvious exemplar, Peter Green. (Blues with feeling but not directly copying anyone else.)
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075
    I watched Clapton at the BBC last night on BBC4 ( presumably on iPlayer). It's a few years old and covers his story and, annoyingly, relatively little of his music. If someone wanted to know what's supposed to be so great about him it wouldn't answer the question. I might watch 12 Bars but my feeling is it'll be much the same and I'd be better off with a live video or two. 

For me at least this is the whole point.

I was familiar with the music of Clapton, not an expert by any stretch, but not a fan. Watching this documentary was all about the story, not the music.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    It's his life story, not a gig. There is music all the way through it but more as background to what he's done and been through.

In much the same way that if you read his autobiography, no tunes come out of it when you turn the pages.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    It's his life story, not a gig. There is music all the way through it but more as background to what he's done and been through.

I appreciate that and it's not a complaint. I guess I find it a bit odd or frustrating that so many music documentaries contain so little music. I understand that's not the point of 12 Bars but it would be nice to see the odd music documentary that contained actual music. The recent Jeff Beck one, for example, was just talking heads saying isn't Jeff great but anyone new to him wouldn't understand why and neither was there much of a story told.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    EricTheWeary said:
    The recent Jeff Beck one, for example, was just talking heads saying isn't Jeff great but anyone new to him wouldn't understand why and neither was there much of a story told.
    I suspect that this was a calculated choice. People who are already familiar with these artistes have their bias confirmed. People who are unfamiliar with these artistes are unlikely to be won over in a couple of hours.

I find it ... frustrating that so many music documentaries contain so little music. ... It would be nice to see the odd music documentary that contained actual music. ... I'd be better off with a live video or two.
    The problem then would be, how do you represent these artistes? One concert or a compilation of live performances, segued together to create an impossibly good show? e.g. - The 2005 Cream Royal Albert Hall DVD or the Zappa "You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore" series. In the latter case, some of the titles are intercut performances, by different ensemble line-ups, from years apart. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited July 2018
    Life in 12 Bars is really worth a watch to understand the man (but yes, not necessarily the music).

I'm not familiar with the other program the BBC showed last night, but the problem with a video compilation of Clapton is that there's precious little footage of some of his best work, e.g. the Bluesbreakers and Derek and the Dominoes*.

So the Beeb will end up showing one clip of the Yardbirds, Cream miming to I Feel Free, a tiny bit of Crossroads from the farewell concert, then some clips of a bored and drunk Eric on Whistle Test and then a bored and drunk but smartly dressed Eric in the 80s at various multi artist events, then maybe some unplugged and Jools clips. 

*There is the Johnny Cash TV show set on youtube, never seems to make it into the clip shows though....but that's without Duane

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    I'm not the biggest Clapton fan but thought this was an excellent documentary.  Even my wife, whose pop-music "era" is punk and post-punk and who normally switches off at the first hint of wailing guitar solos and "the blooze" stuck with it and found it fascinating.

Don't agree it would have been better focusing on the music.  If that's what interests you it's readily available, and I don't see what a film could add that's new except for a predictable gathering of musos and critics bumming up his importance in the usual yawnfest.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295

I'm not familiar with the other program the BBC showed last night, but the problem with a video compilation of Clapton is that there's precious little footage of some of his best work, e.g. the Bluesbreakers and Derek and the Dominoes*.

That was a waste of time. Half a clip of the Yardbirds (which I could have sworn was from Granada TV) and glossing over most things until about 1977. Too much of his Armani period.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    If you want to know about his music get yourself on spotify or youtube - plenty of stuff on there. If you want to know about the man, watch life in 12 bars - simple ;)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    The tortured soul aspect of Claptons life and rejection by his mother haunts him for many decades. He threw himself headlong into authentic blues when few other musicians gave it space. As a consequence he was ahead of the curve for the critical years in both the UK and USA. Being invited to play at the Aritha Franklin session when he dressed like a pimp with an afro was his big moment, they all shut up one he played because he sounded authentic and fresh at the same time. these things came out well in the documentry and a snooze fest of videos wouldn't do that so well.
    Sadness and tradgedy followed him (or he caused it) through much of his life, but other respected guitar players made special moments available to him over the years. Pete Townsend threw a concert to help him get off the booze at one stage.

I enjoyed the Documentry (again), not so much the Sunday Clapton at the BBC program.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    The one thing I wasn't sure about was a clip that they referred to as a radio interview with Paul McCartney - I would have sworn it was George Harrison. Anyone else think that?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Life in 12 Bars is really worth a watch to understand the man (but yes, not necessarily the music).

So the Beeb will end up showing one clip of the Yardbirds, Cream miming to I Feel Free, a tiny bit of Crossroads from the farewell concert, then some clips of a bored and drunk Eric on Whistle Test and then a bored and drunk but smartly dressed Eric in the 80s at various multi artist events, then maybe some unplugged and Jools clips. 

*There is the Johnny Cash TV show set on youtube, never seems to make it into the clip shows though....but that's without Duane

For someone not familiar with that programme it sounds suspiciously like you edited it :smile: 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I'm not a Clapton fan, but I watched it because it was on and really enjoyed it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TA22GTTA22GT Frets: 362
    In the current internet age anything any artist does is reported instantly and there is no mystery.

Back then there were really only the NME and Melody Maker and the newspapers reporting things and "Eric being absent" didn't convey the full meaning of how absent he was. He was in a right state and the film gives much more content to that period.
    Seeing the look of pain in his eyes when he sat on the couch after having his hair forceably cut and his guitar broken was painful to watch. His Mothers rejection and disdain for him must have been so very painful for him at that age when all he wanted was a Mother to love him.

No wonder he immersed himself obsessively with music.

I'm not much a fan of his music anymore as it's re-hashing "the blues" but I do have a great respect for what he has been through and the Man he has now become.

He's paid his dues and he's helping others that are paying theirs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • NikcNikc Frets: 627
    Watched it last night I thought it was quite moving overall.