Kettle or electrics?

What's Hot
usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
2 year old house. Kettle keeps tripping fuse box. It trips the kitchen sockets switch and the big one on that side of the board. Nothing else goes off. It’s getting more of a faff to reset, also. Kettle is a cheap Russel Hobbs or something. Last kettle did it too. We bought the new one, and same again. 
Wife wants to call an electrician. I want to buy a stove top kettle.

Whaddya think?
 so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited July 2018
    It’s the electrics- I used to have a similar problem with a microwave that would trip the power to the whole house if the kitchen light was on at the same time, this meant I quite frequently would end up microwaving something standing in the dark. Never fixed it, I just eventually moved out 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    edited July 2018
    Can you be more specific? Wife says the little trip switches can go, though they should last longer than this. Do I need to get a man in then?
    Thank you.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• SeshSesh Frets: 1841
    Have you tried plugging the kettle in elsewhere? If you can get the fault to move around the various ring mains you my have then it's the kettle. If it is a fault in the kitchen wiring then a stove kettle will avoid the problem but it will still be there. Any wiring issue not dealt with properly could be dangerous. I'd be looking a getting an electrician in myself. You could also check in the fuse rating for the kitchen sockets in case it isn't correct. If there is another of the same rating on you board swap them and see if the fault moves.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    It is probably the socket the kettle is attached to.
    We tried it elsewhere in the kitchen. Was ok first time, and after that, was same as before. Wife thinks it’s worse with a full kettle, of cold water,  than say half full. She tried it in another room, but only once. It worked fine.. she only tried it the once though. Will retry..

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26994
    usedtobe said:
    We tried it elsewhere in the kitchen. Was ok first time, and after that, was same as before. Wife thinks it’s worse with a full kettle, of cold water,  than say half full. She tried it in another room, but only once. It worked fine.. she only tried it the once though. Will retry..
    Unless you have some kind of smart kettle that changes its settings based on how much water is in it that's very unlikely.

+1 on trying it in different rooms - somewhere that's on a different fuse.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Just boiled it in lounge,  twice with a kettle full of cold. No problems. It starts off ok in the kitchen, though, first boil this morning was fine. It seems to get worse as the day goes on. Kettle is always on here, pretty much.
    I have a socket tester somewhere. I’ll dig it out and see what it says. Thinking we might be getting a man in though..

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    usedtobe said:
    OK, so not the socket then. :)

Simplest solution is to buy another electric kettle and if it is still happening then it will be something with that run of electrical cable.
    In one place we did we found a nail through the neutral that caused this.
    Other times it was related to a ground wire being partially disconnected at the socket.

Safest thing to do is get an electrician to do an electrical safety test, but that will cost the most unless you have my wife's taste in kettles (google Kitchen Aid- yes, she really paid that for a kettle).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72336
    Sounds like an electrics issue - probably being shown up by the kettle because it draws a high current. I have exactly that fault in my kitchen somewhere... we discovered it when we had an extension built and the electrician connected the old house wiring to the new distribution box - it would trip as soon as anything was turned on in the kitchen.

It works fine as long as the kitchen is treated as a sub-circuit, but not if it’s connected to the rest of the ring main... he said it was because a neutral connection has been made to the wrong place somewhere, so current going up one wire comes down a different one which appears as a ‘leak’ and trips the modern RCD distribution box - it wouldn’t have mattered when the house was built because it was pre-RCD. By making the whole kitchen one sub-circuit with a single neutral return to the box, it eliminates the problem - and is safe and legal. So he did that, since the alternative was to strip out the whole kitchen to find the wrong connection...

@Spark240 might be able to confirm if this is correct, but it sounds logical to me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    We’ve had numerous electrics over the years the best one being an “eco kettle” but they always break eventually. We’ve had a stove top le creuscet one for the last 4 years it’s great, nice whistle too.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    Get a sparks in and have it checked over. Electrical faults aren’t funny, just when you think it’s only a loose connection they have a tendency to kill you and/or burn your house down.  ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    Worth getting electrics checked, but get a proper kettle that sits on a gas ring anyway.

FWIW friends of our family had their kitchen done out and the dog refused to go in there. Something frightened her. One night the kitchen went up in flames, and the fire investigation determined that it was a dodgy socket that was continually sparking and eventually caused the fire. The dog could hear it but the humans couldn't.

The kitchen bloke was found not to have the relevant sparkies qualifications and got done. The kitchen was re-fitted with proper electrics this time. The dog became happy to go in the kitchen.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    what valves does it have?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Get a sparks in and have it checked over. Electrical faults aren’t funny, just when you think it’s only a loose connection they have a tendency to kill you and/or burn your house down.  ;)
    This ^^^ what starts with a dodgy kettle could end up with an insurance claim
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Sounds like one of the cables is partially trapped behind the socket. Not quite enough to cause a fault condition until the current draw rises, causing a short to earth. Had faults like this in the past where I've ended up removing/refitting every faceplate and the fault disappears. Sometimes you'd find evidence of a cable being squashed or a nick in the insulation.
    The thing with the amount of water in the kettle could possibly be that the current is drawn over a longer period when full thus creating more heat. Would also explain it getting worse throughout the day but really the main thing is getting the wiring checked properly.

• randellarandella Frets: 4168
    edited July 2018
    Get a sparky in.  Not worth the risk.  I've seen a few electrical bodges in houses that set my teeth on edge.

In a two-year-old house it's probably a simple fault but get someone skilled who you trust to reassure you and fix anything necessary.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11895
    I've had humidifiers and an clothes iron trip the RCD when in use, in different parts of the house (when they are failing)
    Anything containing heater elements exposed to water can develop this fault: try a new kettle
    It may be that the RCD on the kitchen sockets is a different rating to the others, I assume you have RCD in all of the house
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12365
    I've had humidifiers and an clothes iron trip the RCD when in use, in different parts of the house (when they are failing)
    Anything containing heater elements exposed to water can develop this fault: try a new kettle
    It may be that the RCD on the kitchen sockets is a different rating to the others, I assume you have RCD in all of the house
    He already said the kettle doesn’t trip the breaker in another part of the house. The fault is just confined to the kitchen ring, so it’s a problem with the hard wiring or breaker. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448

Didn't the OP say this was the second kettle that does this?

He also said that it doesn't happen in another room so it does like a problem with the wiring.

I think he also said that it does it on a different socket in the kitchen, so it's unlikely to be the socket.

Definitely get an electrician out.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    Stove top kettles look cool but if you go down that route, be prepared to start pre-planning cups of tea by about 20 minutes - they take forever.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis