Elektron drive?

John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
Iirc these were rated quite highly initially but then had a few problems with settings.    
Is anyone still using one - these seem to be a few places selling them for under £200 but maybe a simpler pedal like a strymon sunset or Suhr eclipse or Bogner red will cover the do everything flexible drive better?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    Been looking myself- there appear to have been a few horror stories (firmware has been updated since the initial release) and a fair few users who don't like them for subjective reasons, but largely positive opinions.

It's the MIDI functionality that I'm particularly interested in, which none of the other pedals you mention have. Everything else that does is either very expensive and/or needs you to buy an extra interface box. 

Not sure what the story is with the massive price drop compared to the initial release...

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I was looking at this and also the Sub Decay Vector, but I'd really wanna spend some time with both before shelling out.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9534
    Massive unit, own power supply but like all the Elektron stuff - sounds great
    Massive unit, own power supply but like all the Elektron stuff - sounds great

Apparently the true current draw is around 400mA rather than the 1A printed on the pedal.

That's still pretty hefty though, and 12V immediately makes it incompatible with a lot of PSUs.

• StefBStefB Frets: 2355
    £155 delivered at GuitarGuitar at the moment, I'm interested too at that price.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    StefB said:
    £155 delivered at GuitarGuitar at the moment, I'm interested too at that price.

That was the one that made me think about trying one.   The price is great for the spec but I’m not quite convinced by the switching - if it was in a midi rig then it would make a lot more sense.   
    Just watched the pedal show demo and it’s good but I wasn’t blown away by any of the sounds they were getting and comparing it to.    
    Unless I find some better clips I think I’ll file it under “good buy for the price” but a simpler, better sounding mid gain and boost pedal will work for me.  
  • I've had this pedal for a while now and I'd say it's very good for the price, especially now at ~£160. The main pro for me are presets and midi. Having been through mountains of single dirt pedals, this is a godsend particularly if playing multiple guitars.

The sounds are pretty good but you'll need to spend time tweaking it. I like the focused distribution, mid drive, big distortion and heavy settings. Dirty drive and fuzz are just kinda terrible. I would say it's missing a bit of character compared to e.g. catalainbread dirt pedals. Btw it responds well to another dirt in front - I'm using a walrus voyager stacked into the front.
  • I wanted to power it off my voodoo 4x4 but ended up using the supplied power supply. IIRC I bought the polarity inverter cable but it seems the elektron doesn't take the standard 2.1mm barrel connector - it's something smaller.
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I wanted to power it off my voodoo 4x4 but ended up using the supplied power supply. IIRC I bought the polarity inverter cable but it seems the elektron doesn't take the standard 2.1mm barrel connector - it's something smaller.
    I ended up cable tying the PSU under the board and using a IEC Y cable too. I liked it its just too big
    Got one incoming.

Premier Guitar newsletter reports Analog Heat mk2 is coming, which makes me wonder if an Analog Drive mk2 might be too...