How best to shave yer head?

What's Hot
skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
After my hair thinning out for ages I decided earlier in the year to just shave my head bald, which I like actually.. but the stubble grows so fast, 3 days later I need to do it again, depending on if I want to look my best for something ha.

I bought a cheap boots foil shaver (£20) in Feb and its had a fair bit of use but now the blades are cutting through the metal foil at the edges so it needs replacing. 

I’ve seen the more expensive foil shavers have replacement blades/heads available so that may be an option. But they aint cheap! 

I experimented with using a razor blade (only a cheap single bic jobbie) which took bloody ages to get a very smooth feel both with and against the grain.
Against the grain was the issue really.

So far a foil shaver seems to give the smoothest finish and was also quicker with less mess, but am I missing any tricks or other devices?  

Cheers all!

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    Hair clippers? Use no guard for shortest cut. 
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    jellyroll said:
    Hair clippers? Use no guard for shortest cut. 
    Ah, I’ve got an old Wahl set but even with no guard its not right down to the skin! 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941

I'm a baldy and just use my Gillette power fusion that I use to shave me face with. 3 days is about right before it needs doing again.

I did try one of those fancy headshave things with wheels but the Gillette is better. It can take a couple of passes in some areas to get it totally smooth.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    Our former drummer had one of those 3 floating head philps shavers. He kept it in the car plugged into the lighter socket and would wiz over his bonce while waiting for...well anything. No time wasted and he always shone like a new pin.
  • ClashmanClashman Frets: 175
    Use a blow torch ..you have to be quick or it hurts..
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Clashman said:
    Use a blow torch ..you have to be quick or it hurts..
    Haha, the smell would get to me... 

Cheers for the replies though. Gonna pop into boots on my way to work tonight so will have a looksee! 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    With a jumbo jet?

Apparently it isn't easy, but nothing is...

Woo hoo.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I wonder why the OP has posed this question. Surely his valet shaves him every morning? Hardly too much to ask him to shave the OPs head.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4184
    Wet shave and use good shaving soap, nothing else gets close
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    the trouble with shaving your head is that you then get to see just what an odd shape your cranium has become...

http://www.dovesandserpents.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Altereca-eraserhead2.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Been using the small head on my beard trimmer for months as it cuts shorter than the bigger head, but it takes ages. 

I’ve finally had enough and want to take off what little was left. 

I think im going to go the Philishave route and get one of those triple head shavers. I’ll report back once I have it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    Wet shave or go home you pussies

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • pauladspaulads Frets: 495
    Lawnmower?

Joking aside, I get a wet shave with a really good quality 3 or 4 blade razor every morning...it takes me 5 mins maximum, in the shower.
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    The full Goodhew isn’t a great look for most people. I’d go clippers guard off once every 10 days or sooner if necessary.

That’s what I do - I look ill if I go any shorter than that...
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12316
    Wax yr noggin
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    veet

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    No easy way, I use Clippers if it gets longer than a few mm then Gillette fusion with the grain then against.

Been doing it for 20yrs.

The normal bic disposable razors won't do it well at all.

I've only had one mishap where one of the blades snapped and cut a nice flap of skin out. 

Three shaves is the most I usually get out of a blade, then it's lost it's edge.

• I got a pair of waterproof, rechargeable clippers. I simply buzz my entire head in the shower each morning. Easy. 

its a sad indictment of my stage of life that it’s more important that I trim my eyebrows than my scalp!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33797
    Rechargeable clippers to take it down to almost nothing and then a razor to go with the grain.

I used to get razor bumps if I went against the grain.
    Some people do, some people don't though.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3588
    andy1839 said:
    No easy way, I use Clippers if it gets longer than a few mm then Gillette fusion with the grain then against.

Been doing it for 20yrs.

The normal bic disposable razors won't do it well at all.

I've only had one mishap where one of the blades snapped and cut a nice flap of skin out. 

Three shaves is the most I usually get out of a blade, then it's lost it's edge.

Get yourself a leather strop, or an old piece of leather sofa, or even a length of denim.

After your regular 3 shaves strop the blade a dozen times in the material pushing the opposite way to the shave action, it can refine the edge and double the life of the blades.