The Fretboard Cover Challenge #1

What's Hot

Comments

• IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 145
    Looking forward to hearing everyone's version of this. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
    this is a great idea. 
    If I get the time I will have a go

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    this is a great idea. 
    If I get the time I will have a go

There is loads of time!... :)
  • BezzerBezzer Frets: 585
    Tried recording the acoustic parts for this yesterday.
    Safe to say mic'ing up an acoustic was not very successful with my PC fans kicking in at 8 million dB ... who'd've thunk the heatwave could prevent recording!
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    I've scraped together a basic outline. Now I need to sort out the details.

It's not a competition.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Ooooh, this is turning out interesting.  Had a bit of a brainwave on Saturday and initial attempts were fun. Will persevere and get it laid down if I can sing at the same time ,
    Absolutely desperate to hear what everyones done...
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    I have installed a DAW and managed to install a drum VST - I've also bought an audio interface and a mic... No good will come of this!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I decided I'd have a go at playing the synth solo on guitar, but that fast run up at the end is proving something of a challenge. I'll keep coming back to it but I might have to cop out and program a synth to do it.

It's not a competition.
    I decided I'd have a go at playing the synth solo on guitar, but that fast run up at the end is proving something of a challenge. I'll keep coming back to it but I might have to cop out and program a synth to do it.

It’s exactly that sort of thinking that led to the sacking of our keyboard player :)
  • flying_pieflying_pie Frets: 1816
    enjo said:
    I have installed a DAW and managed to install a drum VST - I've also bought an audio interface and a mic... No good will come of this!
    That's precisely the attitude this challenge requires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    poopot said:

It’s exactly that sort of thinking that led to the sacking of our keyboard player :)

I've managed to do it with a combination of hammers and slides. I doubt I'd be able to ever pick every note, even after years of practicing and watching Troy Grady videos.

It's not a competition.

I've managed to do it with a combination of hammers and slides. I doubt I'd be able to ever pick every note, even after years of practicing and watching Troy Grady videos.

Honestly didn’t realise there was a keyboard solo in it!... didn’t get that far into the song!... just used the lyrics to structure my cover.

I am gagging to hear what everyone has done with this!
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    poopot said:

Honestly didn’t realise there was a keyboard solo in it!... didn’t get that far into the song!... just used the lyrics to structure my cover.

I am gagging to hear what everyone has done with this!
    It's concerning me as I was looking to learn the solo on guitar too so maybe I shall have to erm... We'll say "reinterpret" rather than "simplify" shall we :)
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    I thought about trying the keyboard solo but didn't get as far as trying as I decided my version would work better with original solos to fit the genre (there is an outro solo as well in mine). Can't wait to hear it played on guitar  @stratman3142 ;
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I chuck my hat into the ring and submit a version. 
    Have you sent one? Not got it if you have!.
    poopot said:
    Have you sent one? Not got it if you have!.
    Not yet. I’m cheating slightly in that it’s a recording a did a while ago, just need to get the file off my laptop. 
    not_the_dj said:

I’m cheating slightly in that it’s a recording a did a while ago, just need to get the file off my laptop. 

It's not cheating. The rules don't stipulate that the recording has to be done within the time of the challenge. It just states you have to submit before the deadline. Older versions you've already recorded are absolutely fine 
    not_the_dj said:

I’m cheating slightly in that it’s a recording a did a while ago, just need to get the file off my laptop. 

It's not cheating. The rules don't stipulate that the recording has to be done within the time of the challenge. It just states you have to submit before the deadline. Older versions you've already recorded are absolutely fine 
    E-mail sent with the MP3.