Football - a sport that accepts cheating?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    It would seem that Rugby turns a blind eye to the blanket to the use of steroids, I'd assume that is cheating.
    Take look at these old clips of Mr JPR Williams a normal slight looking man and compare and contrast to the modified versions in the modern game.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    edited July 2018

There are big two issues in football.  One is the diving and faking, and they do need to clamp down on it.  That might be easier said than done though.  Unless you can definitely show there is no contact at all, it would be hard to argue with someone claiming injury.

The other big issue is the dissent they show towards the officials.  I don't know any other sport that accepts players getting in referees faces like football does.  That one would actually be easy to solve.  If they consistently started booking players who showed dissent, they could stop it in a couple of weeks.  Once a team has 6 players booked in one match, they would soon learn.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    It would seem that Rugby turns a blind eye to the blanket to the use of steroids, I'd assume that is cheating.
    Take look at these old clips of Mr JPR Williams a normal slight looking man and compare and contrast to the modified versions in the modern game.

Don't think it's too bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/15/professional-rugby-england-clean-bill-of-health-rfu

That says 623 tests on professional players.  As far as I know, it's only the top two divisions that are professional.  That works out at about 26 tests per club, 87% of those out of competition.  That number needs to go up a bit.  Most players are probably going to get tested once a year, but ideally you would want a few more tests as a deterrent.

The sport that really is bad is the NFL.  They aren't signed up to WADA, and they just don't take it seriously at all.  You only get a 4 game suspension for a first offence.  If you do get caught in Rugby, you will at least get a proper ban:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42630419

4 years for some of them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Sepp Blatter, IIRC, objected to things like goal line technology as he felt there should be as much continuity as possible between footballers in the World Cup, to the national leagues, to boys in the park with jumpers for goalposts. I haven’t give it a lot of thought but I feel that’s roughly right. But for any game big enough to warrant a referee then don’t allow obvious dissent. You just need some reasonably clear guidelines for this, no VAR , no 4th official and it could be consistent from schools to the World Cup. I think the message it sends out at the moment is awful. I don’t think I could have screamed in the face of my PE teacher the way Portuguese players, for example, have treated the ref in this competition. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Yeah. IMHO, Ronaldo should have been sent off for getting in the ref's face, rather than getting a yellow card. His only defence for doing it was that it was near the end of the game and his team were about to be knocked out. :)
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    The changes in football have come about because it was decided that players shouldn't really be required to leave the ground regularly on crutches as part of the game.

There was the infamous refs' clampdown on foul play in 71/2, which led to multiple bookings for foul play compared to previous seasons. This was prepared in secret and the refs told nobody. Come the first day of the season and refs wore their pencils out from overuse as they booked many more players than they had previously.

A little later came the outlawing of the tackle from behind, which meant that players could now see who was trying to amputate their legs at the hip.

We also had the influx of foreign players, starting really i the late 70s. We had been brought up on late-night European highlights of games, Shoot and Football Monthly where the "hard but fair" British game was compared to the hysterical continentals who threw themselves about when they weren't going over the top in tackles.

All of the current play-acting is done because it might bring your team an advantage. Previously, when there were hardly any cameras covering the half-dozen or so games that were scheduled for highlights packages and maybe one fixed camera for other games it wasn't worth the bother of rolling around because you were expected to take the hits and nobody saw it anyway so no disciplinary action was taken.

Nowadays you can't tackle with "excessive force", regardless of whether or not it's an illegal challenge.

Football needs a citing officer. Mind you, rugby has them and you still won't get a stright feed into a scrum and nowadays most lineouts aren'r straight either.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    It’s pretty much ruined the game for me. I think there’s no interest, by those running the game to do anything about it. As long as the money is rolling in, and people are prepared, in sufficient numbers to accept it, it will carry on. 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    ewal said:
    Hattigol said:
    Don't forget professional cycling. A sport based wholly upon having the best scientists to help you evade detection. 
    Don't forget football either - a sport that has done next to nothing to combat the scourge of performance enhancing drugs. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-russia-doping-football-olympics-state-sponsored-vitaly-mutko-euro-2008-a8425006.html

https://www.dw.com/en/doping-in-football-dont-act-so-surprised/a-18290893

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-01/russian-world-cup-squad-contains-at-least-one-drug-cheat/9823498

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/24/russia-england-refuse-reveal-many-drugs-tests-have-undergone/

ETA: I believe that one day this will catch football up and we will see that they are just as bad as all other professional athletes.
    Erm, this is a thread about football.

I think a reminder not to forget about football is probably unnecessary?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 767
    crunchman said:

Don't think it's too bad.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/feb/15/professional-rugby-england-clean-bill-of-health-rfu

That says 623 tests on professional players.  As far as I know, it's only the top two divisions that are professional.  That works out at about 26 tests per club, 87% of those out of competition.  That number needs to go up a bit.  Most players are probably going to get tested once a year, but ideally you would want a few more tests as a deterrent.

The sport that really is bad is the NFL.  They aren't signed up to WADA, and they just don't take it seriously at all.  You only get a 4 game suspension for a first offence.  If you do get caught in Rugby, you will at least get a proper ban:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/42630419

4 years for some of them.

Not a great deal of testing IMHO. The results are laudable, but may I remind you that Lance Armstrong never failed a drugs test. 
    I know several bodybuilders who openly admit that their gyms are rife with steroid use and that you can only go so far with 'natural' methods.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Clarky said:
    use VAR to verify and then book them for bringing the game into disrepute
    I was thinking that last night when watching the game. If VAR is going to be in the modern game then it should be used in the Neymar incident and he should be carded.
    absolutely... and if he goes for an Oscar a 2nd time, the 2nd yellow = a red..
    then... let's see how the team and fans react to being a man down in the world cup and maybe even going out as a direct result of it..
    I reckon it'd only happen a few times initially and then the practice of being a total cock in the game would be stamped out in a heartbeat..
    then.... lol...
    we can all sit back and enjoy watching a game of football that contains football

and on a more serious note...
    if the VAR folks examine every incident where a player goes down and stays down, they'll also be able to see very quickly if it's a head or other potentially serious injury and radio for treatment immediately..
    play every note as if it were your first
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6905
    I see very little sportsmanship in football. The ball goes out of play - players from both sides appeal when the know damn well who had the last touch. I agree with the descent - any fucking about with the ref should be an instant yellow. Diving a red.

I hate football though so what do I know. Thanks 

Juicing is no secret in bodybuilding. That’s why they have separate natural competitions. 
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    and then in a Snooker World Championship final
    even in a crucial game
    everyone would be surprised if a player didn't call a foul against himself that the ref didn't spot

I've seen it before plenty of times..
    a player looks at the ref and says something like "I touched a red"
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited July 2018
    Edited - pointless post. Please ignore.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • westwest Frets: 996
    norman hunter bites yer legs .....

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    west said:
    norman hunter bites yer legs .....

Yes, but you knew he was going to.  That isn't cheating...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • westwest Frets: 996
    yeah but Dirty leeds anyway ....
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited July 2018
    I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face - 'shielding'/'shepherding' a ball over the touchline (particularly the goal ends) is OBSTRUCTION!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I'll say it 'til I'm blue in the face - 'shielding'/'shepherding' a ball over the touchline (particularly the goal ends) is OBSTRUCTION!!
    Not if the dude shielding it can play it. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22117
    Iamnobody said:
    I see very little sportsmanship in football. The ball goes out of play - players from both sides appeal when the know damn well who had the last touch. I agree with the descent - any fucking about with the ref should be an instant yellow. Diving a red.

I hate football though so what do I know. Thanks 

Juicing is no secret in bodybuilding. That’s why they have separate natural competitions. 
    Second half last night, it was noticeable how many times England were standing there with hands raised pleading for decisions and not actually trying to get the ball. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    edited July 2018
    Hattigol said:
    ewal said:
    Hattigol said:
    Don't forget professional cycling. A sport based wholly upon having the best scientists to help you evade detection. 
    Don't forget football either - a sport that has done next to nothing to combat the scourge of performance enhancing drugs. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/world-cup-2018-russia-doping-football-olympics-state-sponsored-vitaly-mutko-euro-2008-a8425006.html

https://www.dw.com/en/doping-in-football-dont-act-so-surprised/a-18290893

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-01/russian-world-cup-squad-contains-at-least-one-drug-cheat/9823498

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup/2018/06/24/russia-england-refuse-reveal-many-drugs-tests-have-undergone/

ETA: I believe that one day this will catch football up and we will see that they are just as bad as all other professional athletes.
    Erm, this is a thread about football.

I think a reminder not to forget about football is probably unnecessary?
    The point I was trying to make was that professional cycling has actually done a lot to tackle the drugs problem and therefore in my opinion it is unfair to cite the sport as one that has done little to tackle cheats. You could argue they've done more than most sports given the number of major competitors which have been banned. In comparison, football hasn't done much and when the issue has arisen, it has often been swept under the carpet.

Sorry if that wasn't clear.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience