Dip switch cover for pedal power mondo

What's Hot
Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
Hey everyone, I'm pretty paranoid that I'll knock the dip switches on my pedal power mondo and it'll send 12v to my strymons making them essentially expensive bricks. has anyone found a more elegant solution than putting tape over it? maybe a small stick on metal plate or something? cheers :)
https://imgur.com/OEHSNgF
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    It might be worth an email to Strymon to check what will happen if you do feed them 12v.

Most well built pedals have some sort of protection built in for those sorts of eventualities so that nothing particularly expensive gets fried, but my guess is that while they might not recommend that you run their pedals off 12v, nothing much will happen if you do.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
    They specifically say not to do it here https://www.strymon.net/gear-guide-getting-right-power-supply-strymon-pedal/ although in this thread it looks like they repaired a damaged unit at a pretty reasonable cost http://gretschpages.com/forum/general-tech-questions/my-strymon-el-cap-diedwhat-to-do/45882/page1/
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5145
    They do seem quite emphatic about it, don't they?

I'd be inclined just to try to mount the PSU so that you can see the DIP switches, then check them before you power on. Those little DIP switches are generally pretty stiff, so it would take a real fluke to switch them accidentally. Wouldn't covering them up only make you more paranoid?

If you have it mounted under your pedalboard so that the DIP switches are next to the pedalboard itself it should be pretty much impossible for them to get switched by accident.

So like this:

Not like this:

Image result for power supply under pedalboard

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Glaw343Glaw343 Frets: 10
    They do seem quite emphatic about it, don't they?

I'd be inclined just to try to mount the PSU so that you can see the DIP switches, then check them before you power on. Those little DIP switches are generally pretty stiff, so it would take a real fluke to switch them accidentally. Wouldn't covering them up only make you more paranoid?

If you have it mounted under your pedalboard so that the DIP switches are next to the pedalboard itself it should be pretty much impossible for them to get switched by accident.

So like this:

Not like this:

Image result for power supply under pedalboard
    I see what you mean, unfortunately mounting it under my pedaltrain like that would not really be possible, I also need access to to the dip switches every now and then as I sometimes run my Paul C Timmy at 12 or 16V, what I really need is a sticky plate that just stops them being knocked with uneven floors etc or for example if I pick it up (I had a bit of a scare recently when I lifted up my pedal board to mess with some of the ins and outs and accidentally grabbed the underside of the powersupply and moved the dip switches, luckily the switches I set to 12v by accident had pedals connected that could take the 12v but a couple of mm to the right and it would have been goodbye, timeline, big sky and Lex, like you said the dipswitches are sturdy enough that I doubt they would move on their own but its more the risk of them getting knocked and I dont really want to be having to check them every time I use the pedalboard. cheers for the idea though it I was using one of those style pedalboards that would be a great solution :)