Do you ever have work days...

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27076
edited July 2018 in Off Topic
..where you have conversations where all these long professional sounding words come out of your mouth and/or typing fingers and the people on the other end seem to understand everything you've said and apparently take you seriously? Just occasionally it feels like I'm a credible adult who knows what he's doing. 

Just sometimes...
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Imposter Syndrome. Don't worry, everyone else feels the same... Unless they really are mental.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I know that feeling well!
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189
    No. Never.
    (Wibble).
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    You should be concerned if you do not feel like this most of the time.
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2530
    Nah
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    Now I am a manager I am not expected to know what I'm doing, it's very liberating.

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    stickyfiddle said:
    Do you ever have work days ...
    Not any longer ... but I still get to use professional sounding words on his forum.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15501
    I work on my own, so when the people I talk to understand me, I know I've got real issues. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. I feel like the one-eyed man around here a lot of the time.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ..where you have conversations where all these long professional sounding words come out of your mouth and/or typing fingers and the people on the other end seem to understand everything you've said and apparently take you seriously? Just occasionally it feels like I'm a credible adult who knows what he's doing. 

Just sometimes...
    sorry - can you repeat that as it didn't quite make sense...??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I heard the word "stochastic" come out of my mouth this morning and I don't think that has ever happened before in my life. 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27076
    edited July 2018
    Grunfeld said:
    ..where you have conversations where all these long professional sounding words come out of your mouth...
    I heard the word "stochastic" come out of my mouth this morning and I don't think that has ever happened before in my life.  
    D 

For me it was something about upside/downside scenarios against a baseline for cogeneration plants and existing off take agreement including an optimised structure following introduction of new independent assets.

As far as the senior guy in the other team sees it I'm apparently doing well and know what I'm talking about, and what's really scary is I think he might be right! Weird...
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28356
    Grunfeld said:
    ..where you have conversations where all these long professional sounding words come out of your mouth...

Did anyone say "Gesundheit!"? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    As far as the senior guy in the other team sees it I'm apparently doing well and know what I'm talking about, and what's really scary is I think he might be right! Weird...
    Well played.
    Whereas I suspect for me "stochastic" was a portmanteau of "stonking" and "fantastic".
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7292
    I had to use the word contiguous a lot today.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    edited July 2018
    When I was in management and then a national sales exec there were constant meetings, reports and codespeak. I'm very much a normal guy within these scenarios and just didn't gel with all the lingo.

Now Im self employed selling and fitting blinds. My working banter now goes a little like this:
    "Good morning Mrs Smith, are you fine today? Blah blah blah dog, blah blah blah garden, yes I'd love a coffee, cheers. Here's our fabrics, you take a look through them whilst I measure up for you. Ok, that'll be £xxx and I can fit them in two weeks. Lovely to meet you Mrs Smith and I'll see you again in two weeks. Thank you, bye bye."

When I go back a fortnight later to fit them it's more of the same but with extra coffee and usually biscuits!

My job is still sales but without all the bollocks.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Being in post with grey hair around people without, can mean that they shutup and listen when you speak (sometimes). However the old adage about it being better to have people think you're an idiot than open your mouth to confirm it still applies.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4641
    I work in IT sales and cringe as I have to use sales/marketing speak.
    Digital Transformation is a term I absolutely hate.
    Algorithm is the new buzz word being bandied about as well.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27076
    I work in IT sales and cringe as I have to use sales/marketing speak.
    Digital Transformation is a term I absolutely hate.
    Algorithm is the new buzz word being bandied about as well.
    Our lot are obsessed with "Digital" at the moment.  It's of massive benefit for some of our clients, but there's plenty of us for whom everything we do is bespoke enough that machine learning and AI is useless, and the client neither wants nor needs apps and dashboards for stuff.  There's some serious buzzword-ism about the whole thing - focussing on selling a "new shiny" rather than establishing what clients actually need and helping them achieve that through the most appropriate means.