Tour De France 2018

What's Hot

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    Only problem is there is too much luck involved.  On commentary they were talking about someone who had his fifth puncture.  It's not longer a test of who is the best rider.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1796
    edited July 2018
    Or was Bardet getting the punctures because he’s not such a good bike handler and causing himself issues?
  • Brutal day. 9 seems to be Richie's unlucky number, crashing out before they even reached the pavé!

It was great to see John Degenkolb back to winning ways after what was thought to be a career ending accident, pretty emotional interview after the race.
    crunchman said:
    Only problem is there is too much luck involved.  On commentary they were talking about someone who had his fifth puncture.  It's not longer a test of who is the best rider.
    A mechanical can end your Tour on any day though, and 5 punctures sounds like a poor choice of tyres/ tubes rather than just bad luck.

In other cycling news, Annemiek Van Vleuten stormed up the mighty Zoncalan to cement her place at the top of Giro Rosa, hard to see anyone catching her now.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Can you guys jump to 21.50 on the video above.

Would be interested to know your thoughts.

• Go Geraint. Great to see my namesake doing do well for now. Anything could happen of course, he usually breaks something or other! 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4779
    crunchman said:
    That's what my wife thinks. I'm a bit more relaxed about it as it is the rider who decides how fast to go, what tyres to use, etc.  And it's just the one day with unique hazards to cope with inside a long race. 

duotone said:

If we're trying to prove he has a motor inside his bike, then maybe that's what did it. Easy enough to check, isn't it? 

If we believe that's not the case, then he pushed the bike up from the shallow ditch at the roadside with some aggression,  so his bike had some velocity as he came back onto the road and the back wheel kept on spinning as he lifted it to turn.

I've no idea. 
  • BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 768
    duotone said:

It's not long enough of a clip to say one way or the other. But it could be easily explained away as not something sinister. Most likely he was just checking the back wheel prior to the film starting. Also, not sure why anyone is asking Armstrong's opinion about anything.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    duotone said:

It looks pretty dodgy, but there's a chance that the right pedal caught his foot as he wheeled it forward, and causes it to rotate. But, the wheel does appear to spin pretty rapidly.
    duotone said:

It looks pretty dodgy, but there's a chance that the right pedal caught his foot as he wheeled it forward, and causes it to rotate. But, the wheel does appear to spin pretty rapidly.
    That's true, it is rapid, but compared to my Trek hybrid clunker of a bike, my mates road racing bike has wheels and tyres that weigh nothing and respond very quickly. It feels like the laws of physics have been suspended just for him. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    duotone said:

It's not long enough of a clip to say one way or the other. But it could be easily explained away as not something sinister. Most likely he was just checking the back wheel prior to the film starting. Also, not sure why anyone is asking Armstrong's opinion about anything.
    Damn right. 

Wheel looks odd in the shot - can only hope that as they are designed to run so free, that he caught it with enough force on the kerb to make it spin. I can certainly get my bike to do that.
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1137
    Also, the wheel stops spinning as soon as it touches the road which suggests there's nothing driving it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 983
    Also, the wheel stops spinning as soon as it touches the road which suggests there's nothing driving it.
    Yeah, a good point.  it’s a shame he wasn’t in view on that video clip for longer though.

Cheers for your thoughts all!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14243
    tFB Trader
    Go Geraint. Great to see my namesake doing do well for now. Anything could happen of course, he usually breaks something or other! 
    would love Gee to have a great tour - will be interesting to see how team orders pan out
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9618
    The conspiracy theorists are out in force with that spinning wheel. The wheel is spinning fast but the cranks aren't. You can buy motors that sit in the seat tube just above the bottom bracket and drive the cranks via the spindle. It's unlikely that anybody has managed to cram a powerful enough motor inside a rear hub yet so that the wheel is driven independently of the cranks.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    This wouldn't be the stage for a motor anyway.  Seems to me the biggest issue is staying upright.  Adding more speed is going to make losing control more likely.  There would be far more benefit from a motor on a mountain stage or a time trial.
  • rolls1392rolls1392 Frets: 235
    In the podcast, is Lance trying to be poacher turned gamekeeper?
    Sodding cheat!
  • ewalewal Frets: 2583
    The bikes are checked for mechanical dopng although the subject continues to be debated.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • 19791979 Frets: 87
    edited July 2018
    Good ol’ Lance, still awful