Gretsch country gent alternative?

What's Hot
Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
Hello, I'm just wondering if there are any cheaper alternatives to the gretsch country gentlemen as my favourite guitar player (John Squire) had a 1964 model with the supertron in the neck. I'm thinking of getting a streamliner and forking out another £120 on a set of filtertrons. Would this sound similar to a country gent? (I'm 14 and don't want to spend too much)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7860
    edited July 2018
    I’d replace the whole wiring loom while you’re at it. The 2620 Streamliner is a fine guitar. Great build quality, though bridge may rattle a bit. 
    Mojo can make you a drop in fit neck supertron and bridge Filtertron in Humbucker mounts. Get the bridge one wound slightly hotter like a TV Classic Plus. 
    Gretsch Filtertrons will mean you need new pickup mounts, they’re much smaller than the stock humbuckers.  

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Another option might be the 5422, they have the halfmoon markers and come in walnut stain. Might have to bide your time to get one at the right price but they do come up around £300 sometimes (one on the bay now, starting there with case). They have humbuckers also, so as above re mounting bucker-size 'trons being the easy option.

As for sound, close enough for rock & roll, most Filtertrons of the same type sound similar, you're into small nuances with different makers.
    Reminds me, Fletcher Pickups does hand wound bucker-sized (and normal sized) 'trons for £58. They're plenty good, I have three of them. No Supertron-style though.

• dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Corvus said:

Another option might be the 5422.........,

No one likes a nit picker but I think you mean the 5122. The 5422 has the blacktop filtertrons and the 5122 has the standard sized ‘Gretchbuckers’

I’ve never played a 5122 but I’d guess build wise they’re very similar and the 5422 is by far best feeling electro I’ve ever played. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26987
    I had a 5122 - nice little guitar. I put TV Jones in mine and it sounded brilliant as a result. I only sold due to the slightly-too-thin neck and slightly-too-small frets.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    tFB Trader
    Daz quite right, 5122, brain disconnect there..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Calum13Calum13 Frets: 37
    Thanks for the input. I'm considering the 5122 but I'll wait till I have some more money (possibly get a weekend job in a guitar shop) How much would it cost for the mojo supertron and filtertron?
  • musicman100musicman100 Frets: 1711
    edited July 2018
    I think you'll find it was a 65/66 
    tFB Trader
    Mojo Filters are £80 each, theres also Oil City and The Creamery but not sure if they do Supertrons as well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom