TFB's most popular music streaming service? Any advice?

What's Hot
I'm tired of the admin of running my own music server/collection, life's too short! I want it easy by using a good streaming service, but my obscure tastes mean that a few of my favourites aren't on the mainstream services.

What are you guys using? Any good recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6968
    Are you aware that you can sync additional music to Spotify?  So if a band isn't on there but you own the album you can add it in to your playlists for yourself.  You can probably do this on other platforms to, but I'm not familiar with them.

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/features/listen-to-local-files/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Are you aware that you can sync additional music to Spotify?  So if a band isn't on there but you own the album you can add it in to your playlists for yourself.  You can probably do this on other platforms to, but I'm not familiar with them.

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/features/listen-to-local-files/
    That is handy! Google play does something similar by allowing you to upload your own stuff to the cloud, which is a bit of an extension of that, I guess. Would be nice to not to have to do that though.

You use Spotify, @guitarfishbay? Find it ok?
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 947
    I use Spotify, its great.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 6968
    You use Spotify, guitarfishbay? Find it ok?

Yeah, I didn't use it for a long time and I'm still a bit dubious about how it will pan out for artists however it was becoming impractical to keep changing CDs in my car.  Likewise at the gym I'd sometimes want to listen to something different but I wouldn't have it available on my phone yet.

As a service I find it good, there's pretty much anything I'd listen to available.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2018
    Spotify is superb.

Biggest negative is the stupid 10,000 song limit on "saved" music.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 848
    I deleted all my music from iTunes to save space on my MacBook and am exclusively on Spotify now. 

There's the odd album spotify doesn't have, but it's not many.

Their algorithm based generated playlists are great and are mostly what I listen to. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 796
    The only problem I have with Spotify is it appears to randomly delete offline music. Nothing worse than getting on a long haul flight to find all the music has gone. I dunno if this is intentional behavior by Spotify, but it is making me think about leaving them. 

FWIW, I also find the Spotify app pretty un-intuitive to use, but that's probably just me. 
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5431

I have Amazon Music through Prime and it's pretty good.  It's a bit annoying when you search for an artist and discover that they are only available through Amazon Music Unlimited.

Having said that, I recently signed up to Spotify again for a mere £9.99 for 3 months as part of a re-engagement deal.  I had forgotten how good it is and they have absolutely loads of stuff, including some obscure stuff.  There are loads of good community playlists too, especially if you go on rateyourmusic.com and look for RYM Boxed Set. 

• duotoneduotone Frets: 255
    Been a regular user of Amazon Music, GooglePlayMusic & Spotify at different times.

At the moment I use Spotify Free & Amazon Music. Spotify Free gives me the ability to listen to music at home with adverts, but means that I cannot download music on my phone for listening to when I’m out and about.

Amazon Music comes free with Amazon Prime & is fairly good, although doesn’t have such a huge selection of music available as Spotify.  But definitely worth using as it’s a free service with something I’m already paying for.

GooglePlayMusic wasn’t as good as Spotify imo, as it doesn’t have such a huge selection of music available...although it has more available than Amazon Music.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 16629
    I use the paid version of Spotify .. it works across all my devices (PC, iPad and iPhone) and I have it hooked up to my Hi-Fi via the Spotify gizmo.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 1893
    Been through them all a couple of times with offers, always end up going back to Spotify.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 4481

I use Spotify and pay the £9.99 a month.  I mostly listen to whole albums - their selection is vast, although there are some surprising omissions, presumably for licensing reasons. 

I find the recommendations an absolute treasure trove - they used to be called "related artists" but recently it's changed to "fans also love", or something like that. 

I don't often listen to the playlists they provide for me, but I have been listening to this week's and it's excellent, perhaps because I listen to a fairly narrow range of music but whatever the reason their algorithms work very well.

I also have Amazon Music through Prime membership but I never use it.

• peteripeteri Frets: 823

I've got Apple Family membership, we're all on Macs/iphones so it made most sense.

Got rid of all my CDs three years ago, haven't missed one yet!

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 3917
    Amazon Music Unlimited here. Seems to have far more content than Spotify.
    It might look like I'm listening to you, but in my head I'm playing my guitar.
  • mli3mli3 Frets: 79
    i love spotify - i get it free with vodafone i think. check out your plan if youre with them, you might be able to get it without knowing (they dont make a big deal of it unsurprisingly)
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 929
    I use Google play. Quite impressed with it really, though the app is prone to crashing recently.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 1642
    I don't use them but then I have thousands of cds,  thousands of LPs, hundreds of tapes and on the haulix mailing list for about 20 record labels. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 808
    edited July 12
    Have everything on lap top backed up twice. I use sonos player at home and sansa clip if im working. I usually use lap top in work through event monitors. 
    Still have tons of cds but never play them. occasionally we will watch a dvd as a family so the surround sound system still gets used. I used to play my cds through this also.
    It comes in handy for music dvds so for now it stays.
    so i dont use any streaming service unless you count youtube.
  • valevale Frets: 1036
    edited July 13
    ok, i'm a luddite & i am not ashamed, but i like my life simple & offline as possible so i use a good 'old fashioned' mp3 player (if i'm not at my desktop).

i've got a sansa clip plus which has 4gb + 8gb micro card memory. 12gb is a lot of music. if i want to add something or get bored of something, i just usb link it to my pc & swap files like a usb key.
    it's tiny (the size of a picture stamp & 1cm deep). & a charged battery lasts ages.
    also has a decent graphic equaliser & a deep bass boost, so great sound. that's important to me.

so if i'm in bed or out walking or on the crosstrainer or shopping or in the bath or on a train, wherever & whenever, i have music always.
    i don't need a signal, i don't need a subscription, i don't need a power supply. totally easy.

& if i leave it anywhere, or drop it, or someone tries to grab it, £20 new, not hundreds like fancy phones. i live in an area where you can't flash fancy things (not that i have any!). but even if i did, i would only use them in shops, not on the street or late night train platforms etc. too risky.

anyway, maybe i'm missing some huge important reason why i should be doing things differently but this way really suits me. so just putting it out there for consideration.
    hofner hussie & hayman harpie. what she said...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 808
    vale said:
    ok, i'm a luddite & i am not ashamed, but i like my life simple & offline as possible so i use a good 'old fashioned' mp3 player (if i'm not at my desktop).

i've got a sansa clip plus which has 4gb + 8gb micro card memory. 16gb is a lot of music. if i want to add something or get bored of something, i just usb link it to my pc & swap files like a usb key.
    it's tiny (the size of a picture stamp & 1cm deep). & a charged battery lasts ages.
    also has a decent graphic equaliser & a deep bass boost, so great sound. that's important to me.

so if i'm in bed or out walking or on the crosstrainer or shopping or in the bath or on a train, wherever & whenever, i have music always.
    i don't need a signal, i don't need a subscription, i don't need a power supply. totally easy.

& if i leave it anywhere, or drop it, or someone tries to grab it, £20 new, not hundreds like fancy phones. i live in an area where you can't flash fancy things (not that i have any!). but even if i did, i would only use them in shops, not on the street or late night train platforms etc. too risky.

anyway, maybe i'm missing some huge important reason why i should be doing things differently but this way really suits me. so just putting it out there for consideration.
    Seems im a Luddite also. Happy Days . 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • iain.reverbiain.reverb Frets: 238
    I'm tired of the admin of running my own music server/collection, life's too short! I want it easy by using a good streaming service, but my obscure tastes mean that a few of my favourites aren't on the mainstream services.

What are you guys using? Any good recommendations?
    I'm the archetype of tight scotsman, so its got to be youtube for me
    I work for http://www.reverb.com/uk Any questions, queries, complaints, Drop me a line.

Remember to check out our Bank Holiday Sale 15% off New, Used and Vintage
    https://reverb.com/uk/sales/bank-holiday-sale

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1371
    I like Spotify, I get it cheap because I'm a Student and it has almost all of the songs I listen to. I would prefer to use Google Play Music because it can store things that are missing in the cloud, but the selection of songs on the service is lacking. 
  • richcolrichcol Frets: 10
    Have paid for Spotify and love it. They provide tailored playlists each week.. and with the "fans also like" option and the app playing similar tracks once an album ends you end up finding so much new music.
    Plus for any parties etc you have acess to endless playlists.
    The 10000 limit for songs in your library could become a problem though and isn't great for £10/month.

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 4920
    I have Spotify family at £15 a month, so my daughter's crap doesn't pollute my playlists 

It's ace! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • I am using Deezer at the moment, because I got a year free with my car. It works well and they have a lot of stuff, I listen to some obscure music and I haven't had too much trouble. I haven't used any other music streaming services so I may try another when the subscription ends.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 2018
    I have Spotify family at £15 a month, so my daughter's crap doesn't pollute my playlists 

It's ace! 
    Ditto and for exact same reason.  The recommendations, daily mixes etc. are a very important part of how it works and they won't work if multiple tastes are overlaid.

The daily mixes are themed, so you get different ones for all the genres you listen to, its quite an education about your own tastes, especially when freed from music you buy as opposed to just listen to, different experience.
    Warning: this post may contain overtly affectionate references to Mary Spender
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 525
    I use free Spotify. Sometimes I'm bugged by the ads, sometimes not.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 18240
    I have Spotify, Apple Music and Tidal.

Spotify has the best interface.
    Spotify also has the best selection.
    Tidal sounds best but costs the most.

If you went to university and still have access to your uni email address then you can get Spotify and Apple Music for £5 a month each,.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 2858
    @vale @JAYJO you can also use Spotify on a web browser and save offline music if using the phone app. 

I have a phone with a 16gb card full of music on which now seems a hassle to update by comparison.

The sheer volume of music on Spotify won me over. Plus you can play a "station" related to music you like and find great music you'd never have previously.

Besides, "fancy phones"? Smartphones that can run the app (and take a mini sd card if you want to store offline music) are no novelty anymore, 13 yr olds at your local chippy and my gran have one. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 5709
    Radio 2 ??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>