SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Workshop clearance (lots of prototype pickups)

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited July 2018 in Parts £ tFB Trader
Been a while since the last clearance, so a large stack of b stock and prototype pickups have accumulated. Prices include UK postage (international will be a bit more, contact me for accurate quote).

Let's start with the ugly ones...

Humid Tropics soapbar sized humbuckers 7.1k/7.4k small alnico 5 bar magnets. Supplied with plastic brackets & surrounds. These may need the cavities deepening slightly, and small holes drilled on either side to accommodate the mounting screw bottoms. Slightly warped from wax potting. £70 for the set.

Heatwave bridge soapbar sized humbucker 15.6k resistance small alnico 5 bar magnet. High output. With surround & plastic mounting bracket. This may need the cavities deepening slightly, and small holes drilled on either side to accommodate the mounting screw bottoms. Slightly warped from wax potting. £40Staple soapbar P90 experiment - ceramic staples. It was an experiment to find out why these aren't made with ceramic staples. It's incredibly bright and you can see from the underside why they aren't made with ceramic staples! (very brittle). 16k resistance. (edit I've decided I'll break the rest of the staples down to the small length for balance). The cover doesn't quite fit flat on it until it's screwed down. £40
The next (first) staple prototype. As you can tell I struggled to get this design right!
Alnico 5 staples Murky Horizon wind. Cover is a bit ugly and the bottom is slightly cracked (super glued over the cracks to secure it). It's warped pretty badly in the wax potting process, but it fits just fine and that's only cosmetic.One of my personal pickups - a Dimarzio Air Zone.
I adore this pickup, but I've just made my own take on it, so I've no need for it any more. I've added grub screws from the underside of the bobbin with a little too much force, giving it some little lumps on the top between the poles. It gives it a tone somewhere between a Tone Zone and Air Zone (probably like an alnico 4 Tone Zone). Output wires have been extended and swapped over to Seymour Duncan colour code. It's absolutely glorious for thick rock stuff. £40

And now for the pretty stuff...

One of my latest prototypes. Alnico 5 rods in one coil, the other is a dummy coil. Wound super hot at 36k and designed to be wired in parallel. Gives a really good vintage strat neck sound, but it's too weak for the other pickup I am matching it with. Or you could put it in the bridge and get a really thick hot rodded Strat sound. £50

8.9k humbucker with alnico 3 bar magnet. Wound with thin 44 AWG wire, it's low output but it sounds a bit thicker than a PAF. Used in my recent video to demonstrate that pickups with similar DCR sound similar bar the output levels. Would be really good for matching with single coils in the bridge. £50Silencer dummy coil.
Mix with any single coils to buck hum and retain a single coil sound (albeit with a bit of treble loss). Can be stuck in a control cavity if desired. £25
Desert Dew humbucker sized P90 set. Someone ordered a gold set and I made a chrome set.... Brand new and perfect. £100

A minihumbucker I made out of spare bits that I had left over from a custom order Johnny Smith. It's a half way between a Firebird and a minihumbucker. It's got a bar magnet at the bottom charging the screws and a second bar magnet in the other coil. Wound to a vintage level 6k. £50 SOLDA 9.5k humbucker. Alnico 3 magnet with 42.5 AWG wire. It's basically a slightly thicker PAF bridge. £50Another video specimen. Vintage 6k wind of 42 AWG heavy formvar with vintage stagger alnico 3 rods. Very early Strat type pickup. £40
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14427
    Alegree said:
    A minihumbucker I made out of spare bits that I had left over from a custom order Johnny Smith. It's a half way between a Firebird and a minihumbucker. It's got a bar magnet at the bottom charging the screws and a second bar magnet in the other coil. Wound to a vintage level 6k. £50
    Do I understand correctly that the bar magnet in the second coil is physically within the coil, like a vintage Firebird pickup?

How long is the output cable and how many conductors?

Finally, is the cover nickel or chrome?
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Alegree said:
    A minihumbucker I made out of spare bits that I had left over from a custom order Johnny Smith. It's a half way between a Firebird and a minihumbucker. It's got a bar magnet at the bottom charging the screws and a second bar magnet in the other coil. Wound to a vintage level 6k. £50
    Do I understand correctly that the bar magnet in the second coil is physically within the coil, like a vintage Firebird pickup?

How long is the output cable and how many conductors?

Finally, is the cover nickel or chrome?
    -Yes
    -31cm, standard single con + braided shield
    -Chrome
    Alegree said:
    -Yes
    -31cm, standard single con + braided shield
    -Chrome
    Cool.
    Frustrating.
    Pity.

I need to rethink. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Bump.
    tFB Trader
    Bump
    How do the A3 8.9k 44AWG and A3 9.5k 42.5AWG humbuckers compare for output and tone? Which would you recommend for a set neck semi-hollow guitar?
    tFB Trader
    How do the A3 8.9k 44AWG and A3 9.5k 42.5AWG humbuckers compare for output and tone? Which would you recommend for a set neck semi-hollow guitar?
    Both sound very similar, but the 44 AWG one is much lower output. I would only put the 44 AWG one in the neck position for something like Jazz.
    The 42.5 is PAF bridge level output, would be great in the bridge for a rockier tone, or in the neck with a high output humbucker. It'd be a more mid focused neck pickup, so it'd have less of that silly bass heavy thing going on with PAF necks that everyone who plays with gain seems to loathe, but continues to buy them regardless.
    tFB Trader
    Bump.
    tFB Trader
    Minibucker sold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom