51 P Bass Semi-acoustic: The Bass Fender Forgot to Make

What's Hot

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Tackled the good old “thrice measure once drill” bridge fitting exercise - including fitting some strings and praying to the partscaster gods that it is all lined up and level..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Fitted bridge ground wire, loom and knobs..

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Next up is jack socket, string tree, back cavity plate, and pickup (not arrived yet!) 

Then it’s a full setup and *then* we can see if the concept has worked! 

More to come..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    For the interested, just weighted it as is at the moment - so minus pickup and a few minor bits of hardware and it’s 6lb 8oz - so looking like a smidge over 7lb all up. 

Nice.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Still looking lovely. What’s the balance/neck-dive like?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28179
    Very nice. I do like the Ultralite tuners. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Looking pretty smart from here!
    Not tried balance yet as there’s a few bits to add (little bit of weight at the body end to add) but once done I will give it a thorough assessment!
    Not tried balance yet as there’s a few bits to add (little bit of weight at the body end to add) but once done I will give it a thorough assessment!
    The top horn strap position looks to be in the Goldilocks zone so, certainly on the strap, I suspect the balance will be fine.
    The top horn strap position looks to be in the Goldilocks zone so, certainly on the strap, I suspect the balance will be fine.
    It feels pretty balanced in the hand to be honest - I'll be surprised if it's not nicely poised.
    Lunch break utilised for ticking off one of the remaining jobs - jack socket.

Which leaves pickup and string tree to do. So close.. so close..

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • enjoenjo Frets: 278
    That is a might cool bass.
    Looks great! :)
    You trolling my thread? ;) 

Only joking - if you think it looks good then it actually probably does look good!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Only joking - if you think it looks good then it actually probably does look good!
    Given you a LOL.

Trust me - it looks good ;)

Given you a LOL.

There’s a good chance it will sound pants tho ;)
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader

Given you a LOL.

It will sound wonderful. I've been building semiacoustic P  and Jazz basses for over 20 years they always sound good. The most popular pickup for them has been SD vintage or quarter pounder single coil. Some of been fitted with a Piezo pickup. I've also built a few fretless with only a Piezo that sounded excellent, especially when fitted with flat wounds. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:

Given you a LOL.

It will sound wonderful. I've been building semiacoustic P  and Jazz basses for over 20 years they always sound good. The most popular pickup for them has been SD vintage or quarter pounder single coil. Some of been fitted with a Piezo pickup. I've also built a few fretless with only a Piezo that sounded excellent, especially when fitted with flat wounds. 
    Don’t worry @GSPBASSES ;- if it sounds pants it will be entirely of my doing - every body and neck I’ve had of yours has been exceptional - There’s an obeche tele which is very highly coveted in Liverpool and my 51 P bass has been gigged, recorded and used to write all sorts of stuff. 

My joking comment was more around my ability to solder, screw together and set up and definitely not a comment on the quality of your work. 
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2349
    tFB Trader
    I did not think for one moment you did, and yes I do have some P-Basses bodies in stock. I'm not in the workshop now for about 10 days, I'm taking a break down in Dorset. I believe I have a couple of Swamp Ash bodies and Alder bodies. 

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

GSPBASSES said:
    I did not think for one moment you did, and yes I do have some P-Basses bodies in stock. I'm not in the workshop now for about 10 days, I'm taking a break down in Dorset. I believe I have a couple of Swamp Ash bodies and Alder bodies. 
    Drop me a line when you are back - no rush at all. Enjoy your break - you deserve it!!